I want to use VBulletin as the forum software. It is the same software that Pokégym.net uses; I have been to lots of message boards and I think VBulletin is by far the best software out there. We could use free software, but I feel that is a short term solution. This message board will be around for a long time, so we might as well do it right from the beginning.
There are two options as far as the VBulletin software goes; there is the basic package and then the publishing suite. You can see all the features for both here. The basic package costs $195 and the publishing suite is $235. I feel like if that much money is being spent, it’s probably worth it to spend the extra $40 and get the publishing suite.
EDIT: I am now thinking of just going with the basic package, as I am not sure the publishing suite really offers any extra features that will be utilized.
TCG News and Gossip
– Talk about the latest happenings in the Pokémon Trading Card Game here, anything ranging from new card releases to your opinions on the game.
Established Deck Discussion
– Talk about decks that have been tested and at least somewhat proven here. This will not be the place to get deck help or propose new decks; this will be for more advanced and intellectual discussion. We’ll probably have one topic for each deck. I may make prerequisites before allowing people to start topics in this board (just to make sure random decks aren’t posted here).
Single Card Strategy and Multiple Card Combos
– This will be the place to talk about individual cards and ways to potentially use them.
Deck Help / Creation
– This is the place to post decks that you need help with and to propose new deck ideas that could be collaborated upon.
– If you have any Pokémon TCG rulings, post them here. Someone will help you out!
– This is the place to discuss the metagame for upcoming tournaments, post tournament reports, and discuss tournament results.
Organized Play and Tournament Listings
– Feel free to publicize any upcoming organized events or leagues here.
SixPrizes.com Site Discussion
– Let me know of any suggestions you have here. There will also be an “Introductions” topic here where you can leave your contact info (Facebook or whatever) so that it’s easy to get in contact with each other.
There will be no trading forum (at least for now). I can’t handle something like that and Pokégym does a great job with it anyway.
Tournament listings and talk will be separate sections because I think it’s too jumbled on Pokégym with everything all in the same category.
And no random topic center…for now. I want to keep everything fairly specified for the time being and see how it goes. I also feel like random topic centers can cause for the most controversy which I would rather not deal with.
There will be a reputation system. I know some people are adverse to it, but I know it’s going to work out well. Rep systems encourage people to post helpful content and are also a good way to help distinguish who are the most reputable members of the forum. This is great so that new players will know whose advice they should really be listening to.
I had mentioned in my previous video that you could possibly become banned for having too much neg rep. I don’t think I will do this, but if you have a lot of negative rep, that probably means you are doing something wrong. These people will be judged on a case by case basis whether they actually should be banned or not.
I wanted to limit the membership to the forum at first, but I am not totally sure about it now. I think it might just be best to let everyone register. I however do not want the forum to become flooded with spam from the start. I may let only so many people onto the forum per day and see how it progresses.
I will allow custom avatars, I have no problem with that as long as they are tasteful. Please be respectful. If you are found with an offensive avatar I will change it to bunny rabbit or something nice like that. :P
I will not allow pictures in your signature and will probably allow it to only be 2-3 lines without any formatting. While I know people like to customize theirs sigs, they can really clutter up forums. I want to keep it looking clean.
As far as the language goes, cursing will not be allowing. There is no reason for your language to devolve to that level. There are much better words you can chose to describe your thoughts or emotions. Get a thesaurus if you need help. ;)
But seriously, you should want to project yourself as a competent, respectable, thoughtful individual; cursing will not help you build that image.
I want to give anyone who donates some sort of special privilege. I don’t know what all the features are that come with VBulletin, but I guarantee I’ll give you some kind of notoriety at the very least (custom titles perhaps and/or more private message inbox space).
Anyone who donates will also be guaranteed membership from the very beginning.
I am asking for $1 donations. If everyone that visits the site makes a donation, we will have the forum up in no time. I have finals this coming week, so if we hit the $235 mark during then, I may not be able to get the forum up right away, but it will be up by Christmas at the latest.
Like I mentioned earlier, I am planning for this message board to be a mainstay within the Pokémon TCG community for years, so think of that $1 as an investment.
If you would like to donate, please click below to make a secure donation through PayPal:
(You don’t need a PayPal account to donate, they also accept debit and credit cards.)
If you have any questions or concerns, please comment below. I am trying to give you guys as much information as possible about my plans. I don’t want to deceive anyone in anyway.
P.S. I will be able to keep track of everyone who donates by the e-mail address you use with PayPal, so that is how I will contact you to find out your username on the boards and give you the perks (once I figure out what they will be).