Tier 3 Big Basics and Big Balloons - Landorus EX, Mewtwo EX, Drifblim

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by Ziggmiceter, Aug 16, 2013.

1. klvkboom

klvkboom New Member

What do you guys think about a different variant of the deck utilizing Cobalion instead of Mewtwo? It has some nice synergy with Drifblim since it discards a special energy.
  2. RJCarrot

RJCarrot Poke Breeder Extrodinare.

Cobalion EX is really good right now, but the problem is if you cut Mewtwo you have nothing to keep an out of control Keldeo under wraps. You need something with an X-Ball/Psychic/Energy Press/Energy Crush type of attack to keep that in line. You could run all 3... Either way, this deck needs more Garbodor =)
  3. sawk can be useful for killing a thundurus EX too (sawk + bracer) and applying early pressure against TDK
  4. Chaostamer

Chaostamer Active Member

Why not Bouffalant? You're already running the DCE and the Bangles, so it's an easy inclusion. Bouffalant is nice for the Blastoise matchup because he tends to force a Keldeo response, to which you can respond with a Mewtwo. It's still a hard matchup, but that might smooth things over some.
    PokemonPlayer101 likes this.
  5. MP7373

MP7373 Member

Balloon Land:

Pokemon(15):

-3 Landorus EX (BCR 89)
    -2 Mewtwo EX (BW 45)
    -3 Drifloon (PLB 34)
    -2 Drifblim (PLB 35)
    -1 Drifblim (DRX 51)
    -2 Trubbish (DRX 53)
    -2 Garbodor (DRX 54)

Supporters(13):

-4 Professor Juniper (PLB 84)
    -4 N (DEX 96)
    -2 Colress (PLS 118)
    -3 Skyla (BCR 134)

Items(19):
    -1 Computer Search (BCR 137)
    -1 Ultra Ball (PLB 90)
    -1 Level Ball (NXD 89)
    -1 Heavy Ball (NXD 88)
    -4 Float Stone (PLF 99)
    -1 Switch (BCR 135)
    -4 Pokemon Catcher (PLB 83)
    -4 Hypnotoxic Laser (PLS 123)
    -2 Max Potion (EP 94)

Stadiums(2):
    -2 Virbank City Gym (PLS 126)

Energy(11):
    -4 Double Colorless Energy (NXD 92)
    -7 Fighting Energy

Landorus is pretty good against Darkrai/Garbodor decks and Drifblim wrecks Plasma decks while Garbodor remedies the bad Blastoise match up. Against Virizion Genesect you have Mewtwo to respond to powered up Genesects and Garbodor to shut off Verdant Wind so you can laser. This deck stands reasonably well in the currant (known) meta and has a good shot at beating all of the Tier 1 decks. Its nothing special but worth giving a try.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
    RJCarrot and PokemonPlayer101 like this.
  6. jbcheshire

jbcheshire Member

I would want to add a couple of E Hammers to this list. Maybe drop a catcher and a laser... That way you can take advantage of the Drifblim's attack.
    RJCarrot likes this.
  7. Ketoblu

Ketoblu Member

What's stopping this deck from being tier 1?
  8. SeaLegend

SeaLegend Active Member

I would say that this deck only has a really positive matchup vs Plasma. Anything else is -winnable- but I would say 50/50 at best. Blastoise is going to run you over with or without Garbodor, and the Drifblims+possible Garbodor are consistency killers in the Darkrai matchup. The Genesect matchup is okay but Genesect has much more OHKO power so I would give Genesect the probable edge. In the right meta (lots and lots of Plasma), I can see this deck picking up tournament wins, but it definitely suffers against most of the Tier 1 decks.
  9. Ketoblu

Ketoblu Member

I just started Pokemon. I liked the deck idea, so to stay competitive, I would have better luck playing other things?
  10. RJCarrot

RJCarrot Poke Breeder Extrodinare.

Yes.

If your goal is to start and be competitive right away you should look into one of the following decks.

DarkGarb
    TDK
    Blastoise
    VirGen

Anything outside of these are more fringe decks, not that they aren't also good decks, but the majority of the meta consists of these decks.
    Wrags23 likes this.
  11. Ketoblu

Ketoblu Member

Thank you for the tips. I appreciate it.
  12. JAM

JAM Consistency > Techs

Planning on playing this deck tomorrow at Regionals. Wanted to get some feedback.

Pokemon – 15

2 Landorus EX
    2 Mewtwo EX
    2 Bouffalant DRX
    2 Trubbish DRX
    2 Garbodor DRX
    2 Drifloon PLB
    2 Drifblim PLB
    1 Mr. Mime PLF

Trainers – 34

4 Juniper
    4 N
    3 Skyla
    2 Colress

3 Hypnotoxic Laser
    3 Pokemon Catcher
    3 Ultra Ball
    1 Heavy Ball
    1 Super Rod
    1 Max Potion
    1 Switch
    1 Scramble Switch

2 Virbank City Gym

3 Float Stone
    2 Silver Bangle

Energy – 11

7 Fighting
    4 Double Colorless

The Pokemon lines are a little thin, so I run a Super Rod to shuffle back in another of whatever is best for that match-up.
  13. Ziggmiceter

Ziggmiceter Ultimate 6P tournament procrastinator

How is mime helping you? I'd drop it for a laser, you'll need 4 for the darkrai matchup.
  14. thefazn

thefazn Cool Story Brah!!!

This deck is redicilously dumb I have been wrecking through people left and right with my list, I put darkrai/garbador on hiatus cuz I felt I needed a quicker deck for the meta and I have not looked back since.... The only deck I feel has given me any trouble is virizion mewtwo and that's cuz of the mewtwo war, every matchup is a breeze outside of that
  15. Bdubes

Bdubes New Member

Fazn what does your decklist look like
  16. thefazn

thefazn Cool Story Brah!!!

I won't lie, there really is no point in me showing just for the fact the format is about to change and a lot of cards are going to become invalid for it, that is why I put darkrai on hiatus because I knew they were going to become good with the newformat and with all the reprints announced it changes a lot for the format
  17. yoyos

yoyos delicious hot potatos

However even in a format that ran e.switch in darkrai big basics did well.

I'm liking a variant that runs zoroark as well.
  18. Salamencetrainer34

Salamencetrainer34 An ogre-achiever

The only good reprint is e switch. Crushing hammer is ok, but e hammer outclasses it.
    Alastair likes this.
  19. yoyos

yoyos delicious hot potatos

I remember a few months ago, crushing hammer was better then enhanced hammer.
  20. Salamencetrainer34

Salamencetrainer34 An ogre-achiever

Yeah, but now, we currently have e hammer, that really helps fight plasma, I never played in crushing hammer times, but I don't like the flip function of it.