Tier 1 Blastoise BC, Keldeo-EX

Discussion in 'BLW-on Archives' started by cabd, Nov 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyndaquil

cyndaquil Gravia is love, Gravia is life

Oops yeah forgot about Colress. I personally don't really like Colress, I find it a bit too situational!
    But it is very useful in Blastoise, when mostly you have 4-5 pokes on your bench.
  2. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care

How is Colress more 'situational' than N?
    pokemonguy likes this.
  3. cyndaquil

it isn't- they're about as situational as each other, I just personally prefer N.
  4. HighShroomish

HighShroomish Wreck-It Ralts

Uuuuhhhh, I didn't think N was that situational....:/
  5. baby_mario

'Situational' is a word that gets thrown around a lot. I want to know if people are using it in a meaningful way, or if it's just a phrase they picked up and use whenever they want to denigrate a card (see also: 'it doesn't suit my playstyle').
    Mr_Rumpleteezer likes this.
  6. InfinityMinusOne

InfinityMinusOne Has a tendency to exist

Depends on how you define "situational". Both supporters have their disadvantages in that there are intervals during a game in which they will get you next to nothing, Colress getting you 0-2/3 cards within the first turn or two of the game, and N getting you 1-2 cards in the last couple turns of the game (on average).
  7. cyndaquil

This is why I think both should be played!
    HighShroomish likes this.
  8. StormFront

StormFront Active Member

N (in terms of maxing it out) and Bianca are cards none of us like running, but they're the best we have right now. The justification for running it is because it puts more hurt on TDK than it does on itself late game.
  9. InfinityMinusOne

InfinityMinusOne Has a tendency to exist

How? Unless I'm missing something, it's the other way around. This deck (99% of the time) will need to either draw large amounts of energy in the late gate (which isn't going to happen if you're drawing 1-3 cards off of N), Energy Retrieval (which, as far as lists I've seen go, isn't something that is run in counts of more than 1-2), or Super Energy Retrieval, which requires that you discard 2 other cards, which isn't going to happen if you're drawing so few cards off of N. This deck essentially dies if it hits a bad late-game N. TDK, on the other hand, has a self-sustainable source of energy acceleration in Thundurus EX, meaning that even if it is hit by a bad N in the late game, the TDK player could still send up a Thundurus and hit for 50-70 (assuming 2-4 Deoxys are in play) and start accelerating energy onto a benched attacker. This is virtually theorymon on my part (I haven't gotten much of a chance to test this format as of yet), but I can't see any reason backing the statement that TDK gets hit hard by N in the late game.
    Last edited: May 18, 2013
    cyndaquil likes this.
  10. People in my area have been throwing around the idea of an eggexcute tech, because if you get N'd to 1 draw superior energy retrieval then draw for turn and use propogation to get the eggexute into your hand and be able to use it the turn you got N'd.
  11. cyndaquil

What's the likelihood of getting SER if you are N'd to 1 late game?
    Because I imagine the likelihood can't be that high, if you run 3-4 SER. I tend to have discarded one from a juniper early game hoping to be able to set up Blastoise, and then I keep getting Dowsing Machine early game as well, and then I don't want to discard it as its too precious. And then one game, I had six cards in my deck, I skyla'd for Dowsing Machine (all my ' retrevials were in the discard) and...it was prized. :(
    Wouldn't it be better to use a different ace spec? I have just ordered Scramble Switch in case I need it, I got it for £2.99 :D
    But Computer Search is the only better ACE SPEC I can think of for this deck, and it's £15...
    Anyway, should I up my retrieval counts? Because I've been playing SteveBaPanda who has been playing a Plasma deck, and he keeps beating me by killing all my squirtles by catcher-KO'ing them every turn I get them into play, he N's me a lot early game to ruin my setup, and then late-game I am set up (with like 3 squirtles discarded) and he kills my big guys and then all the energy goes down the drain, with no SER/ER left in my deck. GG SteveBaPanda!
  12. MetalArmedAngel

MetalArmedAngel My lovely Luka ♥♥

Whats your retreival count? Do you play Tropical Beach? How many Supporters? And remember to try and drop 2 or more squirtles during the game so even if one of them will get catcher KO'ed, you'll still have another one to set up your blastoise. You could go for all 3 of the Ace specs you mentioned, but I think Computer search will be your best bet if you want to set up early Blastiose. Dowsing machine is good too, but I prefer Computer search WAYYYY more. Just Personal preference. Try to find out which ace spec you like best by testing your deck multiple times with different Ace specs. Hope I helped ;)
  13. VictiniCup

VictiniCup Guest

Could you build a Blastoise/Keldeo deck with no Tropical Beach? Or do you need one?
  14. MetalArmedAngel

Of course you can build one without Tropical Beach. But think about the inconsistencies. You need to run more supporters, and Tropical beach (if you can get it) during the early game is basically your 2nd Supporter. So in conclusion, yes, but running 2, maybe even 3, tropical beach is way better
  15. VictiniCup

VictiniCup Guest

Ok so if I don't run Tropical beach, do I need 14-16 supporters?
  16. MetalArmedAngel

Yep! But not running Tropical Beach is just not worth it for Blastoise, so you should probably try to play some other deck that doesn't need Tropical Beach. If you live in Europe, than Tropical Beach should be alot cheaper though.
  17. baby_mario

The problem with not running Beach is that Blastoise has literally nothing else useful it can do on the first turn. Run Beach and you can play out your hand and re-fill it, looking for that T2 Blastoise. Don't run Beach and what are you going to do? Even the flipping Squirtle can't attack T1.
    cyndaquil likes this.
  18. SteveBaPanda

SteveBaPanda Putting SA on the map

I feel Dowsing Machine does allow one to have an extra tool scrapper, rare candy, catcher, etc, but if it gets used/discarded early game maybe that doesn't even matter. Also with stadium wars it helps a lot to get a Beach back and get rid of a Virbank, etc.
    I'd recommend 1/3 Energy Retrieval and SER split or maybe even 2/3, it depends how much you seem to be discarding.
  19. Alastair

Alastair Mr. Evil Dr. Porkchop

Has anyone tried to give Blastoise a set up/starter Pokemon or one that can start attacking early? Is there even any out there?
  20. cyndaquil

Yes, cryogonal PLF.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.