Tier 1 Blastoise - Blastoise BCR, Keldeo EX, Black Kyurem EX, Techs

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by Ziggmiceter, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Ketoblu

Ketoblu Member

Would you recommend I run a "Big Basics" deck instead of this?
  2. RJCarrot

RJCarrot Poke Breeder Extrodinare.

As a fan of basics decks I would suggest them because I enjoy them. Are they top tier? Not really, they do contend however. I would not suggest playing big basics without Garbodor, if you are interested in a list I would recommend it is located here near the end of the thread http://www.sixprizes.com/forums/threads/garbodor-drx-attackers.10346/ though the following deck lists are being played more competitively.

DarkGarb
    Blastoise (with beaches)
    TDK
    VirGen
  3. Ketoblu

Ketoblu Member

Perfect, thank you. I will give it a try. I just started playing Pokémon so i hope I can manage to do good.
  4. pootoucher

pootoucher blastoise-enthusiast

with the price of beach going no-where but up, i think the real question is can one run a blastoise deck with a single beach?
  5. Salamencetrainer34

Salamencetrainer34 An ogre-achiever

Thats not the best approach. A darkrai player can easily take beach out of the stadium spot with virbank city
  6. pootoucher

i mean honestly if I were to play solo beach id play dowsing. does one really need a lot more than 1 turn with a beach in blastoise? and is it truly 3 copies (thus making this the big money deck in the game) or go home on beach?
  7. Heist

Heist I am't

You need it to replace Frozen City and Virbank
  8. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care

There are three main reasons why you need 3-4 Beach
    1. More chance of drawing it T1 when you really need it (there's nothing else you can do). Running a high count of Beach and Skyla gives you good odds.
    2. Blastoise suffers more than most decks from late game N. Having to Beach late game isn't ideal, but it's better than just hoping to topdeck a Juniper next turn
    3. General kickgym to disrupt your opponent's plans
    Dowsing isn't really an answer to only having one Beach. If you get N'd you certainly aren't Dowsing for Beach as you won't have the cards to use it.

If you only have one Beach you can still run the deck for league/fun. You might even get away with it if you are very lucky or have poor quality opponents. When it comes to major tournaments though, the golden rule is that you only run the decks that you have the cards for.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  9. pootoucher

so with the new rule changes and thus, the price increase my dream of playing toise die :(.....i had a set of foil energy from way back too :(

but said rule changes also make this deck the most appealing in format. especially the 2 of 3 system

EDIT: on topic-dowsing v. comp search? i'd like to get some opinons on the ace spec since i dont subscribe to the scoop up cyclone mindset
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  10. jonboy532

jonboy532 Is betting on a TDK deck with Muscle Band

Computer Search is better early-game, and Dowsing Machine is better late-game.
    If you have 1 Beach, play Dowsing Machine; Otherwise, Computer Search is more consistent.
  11. tonenkyra

tonenkyra Squirtle Squad!

Here is My Revised Current List:
    Pokemon(13)
    3 Keldeo EX
    4 Squirtle
    4 Blastoise
    2 Black Kyurem EX (PS 95)

Supporters(12)
    4 Professor Juniper
    2 Colress
    3 N
    3 Skyla
    Items(19)
    3 Pokemon Catcher
    3 Superior Energy Retrieval
    1 Energy Retreival
    3 Ultra Ball
    1 Level Ball
    1 Heavy Ball
    4 Rare Candy
    2 Tool Scrapper
    1 Computer Search

Stadiums(3)
    3 Battle City

Energy(13)
    10 Water Energy
    3 Lightning Energy

Now before anyone says anything I will state this: I can NOT fathom dropping $150+ USD (price before the rules change, much higher now) per card (and this deck requires 3). So I found a cheap alternative and it definitely helps combat in the Stadium Wars. I am thinking of maybe adding bicycles (2-4) in addition to the Battle City to "try" and make up for the lack of Trop Beach. Besides that fact, what does everyone think of my list? I was also thinking of adding a third BKEX or a Mewtwo EX just because it might be helpful sometimes. Nonetheless, let me know what ya all think?
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2013
  12. RJCarrot

I think in the current meta you are better off going 3 BKEX 2 Keldeo if you are doing a 3/2 split. I would run Bicycle instead of battle city (or along with) just because the deck HAS to cycle cards to be consistent. If you are planning on playing higher end tournaments you might want to do what some of the seniors do at our shop. Make really good friends with the people who own beaches and ask to borrow them. I know my set is going to be loaned out to the people from my shop, maybe you can find someone generous enough to lend them to you for big tournaments.

I would cut Energy Retrieval for a 4th SER. Expecially if you are going to run Bikes, it helps you get under 4 cards to draw more.

Dowsing Machine over Comp Search. It does almost the same thing, expecially if you are discarding for Bikes, but also counts as a 3rd scrapper vs Garbodor decks.

P.S. Thank you for not being bad and playing Cillian.
    tonenkyra likes this.
  13. LarryAlberto

LarryAlberto Hoping for a BCR-on rotation!

Since we are on the topic of beach less blastoise, here is my list:
    Pokémon:
    4 Squirtle BCR
    1 Wartortle BCR
    4 Blastoise BCR
    3 Keldeo EX
    2 Mewtwo EX
    1 Magnemite PLS 42
    1 Magneton PLS 44
    1 Magnezone PLS 46

Trainers:
    4 N
    4 Professor Juniper
    4 Skyla
    2 Colress
    1 Cilan
    4 Rare Candy
    4 Ultra Ball
    3 Superior Energy Retrieval
    2 Tool Scrapper
    1 Level Ball
    1 Dowsing Machine
    1 Pokémon Center

Energy:
    12 Water

The idea is to use dual brains (lets you play 2 supporters) in place of beach. The reason for Mewtwo Instead of BKEX is that with BKEX, you NEED SER to attack multiple times, while with Mewtwo you don't. Also, Cilan works good with daul brains. I've only played about 5 games, so the list is nowhere near perfect, but so far I can usually get both Blastoise and Magnezone out.
    areuter likes this.
  14. RJCarrot

Cilan is bad even given your idea. If the idea is to play 2 supporters to mimic the draw engine of Beach, then playing a supporter that does not draw you cards defeats that purpose. Setting up Dual brains for that as well defeats the purpose, the point of beach is to have a turn 1/2 play that draws sick amounts of cards for the setup. Setting up Dual Brains, to then set up Blastoise to begin attacking just takes too long. If you can't afford beaches you should consider going the Bike route.
  15. LarryAlberto

The point is not to MIMIC beach, but to REPLACE beach. I know that bicycle may be good, but I'll still play around with this idea. Also, why do you hate Cilan so much? I get that it's not good, but in a deck that can play 2 supporters per turn AND attacks with loaded Keldeo and/or Mewtwo it's not that bad.
  16. LarryAlberto

You could take out 1 BKEX for Exeggcute, a lot of decks only play 2 BKEX
  17. RJCarrot

Less bad is still bad. You want to be drawing cards in a blastoise deck no matter how many supporters you can play each turn.
  18. LarryAlberto

If Cilan doesn't end up working in this deck, I'll take it out. But for now, I'm keeping Cilan in.
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  19. tonenkyra

tonenkyra Squirtle Squad!

I unfortunately am not that lucky nor will I be. That is life. :(

I used to do 3/2 split on SER/ER but dropped ER to 1 for another Colress. But I can def do a fourth. I just don't know how I feel about having too many discard cards. But I guess with Bikes I should be ok.

Guess imma need to get my hands on a Dowsing Machine. Makes sense as to serve as a third scrapper/fourth catcher/fifth SER, etc. Many a games I got PC Search late game and wondered to myself, 'Hmmm, what do I really need from my deck?' 'Nothing really, wish I can get stuff from my discard instead.' 'Dammit!' Way too many to count, actually!

And you are quite welcome! The card seems too situational and somewhat out of whack, although I have seen the benefits of it first hand right before my eyes! lol
  20. Wrags23

Wrags23 Feeling... rogue.

I was just looking over the lists posted recently, and I just have a few thoughts. First, if you are going to try and do Stadium wars, I would lean to the side of Pokemon Center. Battle City is just so inconsistent, and you're only drawing one card. Personally, though, I don't even run a Stadium. I can't get Beach, so I just used those three spaces for more consistency. Also, and I know @RJCarrot will give me a piece of his mind about this, but I think that Cilan is a good one-of card, especially if you don't run Beach. It helps pull off big plays, which is why Blastoise is so lethal. Now, I wouldn't go around running more than one, because if you run Dowsing Machine, which is in my opinion the best ACE-SPEC for this deck, you can get it back if need be. For the Pokemon line, I think that running more Keldeo EX than BKEX is risky considering all of the VirGen in the format. I run a single Suicune PLB in my deck, and although it doesn't work against G-Booster, it can still stall out the opponent for a decent amount of time. And, if I am understanding this right, it can't be "Catcher'd" with Red Signal, because of Safeguard. For Items, I think that 3 Tool Scrapper is essential, because it gets rid of G-Booster and Garbotoxin, two nightmares for this deck. Finally, what are everyone's thoughts on running Catcher i.e. Reversal? I don't run them for more space, but I want to know how it has been working for you guys. For my list, you can check out the link here: http://www.sixprizes.com/forums/thr...ise-deck-for-new-x-y-rules.10660/#post-205887