Tier 1 Blastoise - Blastoise BCR, Keldeo EX, Black Kyurem EX, Techs

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by Ziggmiceter, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Khalldor

Khalldor Member

So I've taken the three catcher out of my list and am wondering what people are running instead?

4-4 Blastoise BCR
    3 Keldeo EX BCR
    2 Black Kyurem PLS
    1 Exeggcute PLF (In place of a catcher)

4 Juniper
    4 N
    4 Skyla

Scoop Up Cyclone
    4 Rare Candy
    4 Superior Energy Retreival
    3 Ultra Ball
    1 Level Ball
    1 Heavy Ball
    2 Tool Scrapper
    1 Float Stone (In place of a catcher)
    1 Energy Search (In place of a catcher)

3 Tropical Beach

10 Water Energy
    3 Lightning Energy
  2. Wrags23

Wrags23 Feeling... rogue.

I can see your reasoning for using Scoop Up Cyclone in this deck, but Dowsing Machine and Computer Search are still much better options for 'Stoise.[DOUBLEPOST=1383947993][/DOUBLEPOST]
    With the new Catcher rules, Pokemon Center, and Shell Shield, I think that there are better things I could be running.
  3. MP7373

MP7373 Member

I think 1-1 Electrode is worth testing in combination with Tropical Beach just to combat late game N. Also trying a 1-1 Musharna in combination with a 1-1 Electrode is also worth testing.
  4. public_toilet

public_toilet Seriously Likeable here guys, Just sayin.

Guys, Blastoise doesn't have the room for many techs.

Mr Mime is good but Stoise needs to cut corners to get Consistent and cannot replace a card for Mr Mime however good it might be. If Blastoise will rise (as a lot of players predict) then Mr.Mime will be useless in mirror. I'm not saying Mr.Mime is a bad card - it top cutted worlds in Stoise IIRC, but as Wrags said, you're Squirtles are safe.
    Vs Darkrai you're pretty much a good match up apart from Frozen City- the 30 snipe is not what you should be worrying about about, vs Plasma- Mr.Mime is great for blocking Kyurem Snipe but it is only done in the first few turns and frozen city, vs Genesect has much less meaning because the only sort of math that seems realistic with this match up involving snipe is 2 x 20 (Megalo Canon snipe) the Emerald Slash on a Blastoise. If Plasma gets back to BDIF I would consider Mime as it is pretty much dead in mirror.

Though 1-1 Electrode and/or Musharna lines with beach may be worth testing, they are too risky because 1 could be prized. TBH it's best to go with 2-2 Electrode and 0 beach (possibly 1 for T1), which has been successful recently. I like the idea though.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  5. SeaLegend

SeaLegend Active Member

The Beach/Electrode combo is obviously very superior. When you're getting into the lategame N, you're probably only at 1-2 prize cards left, and it's highly unlikely that a Voltorb or Electrode will be prized. That's definitely a risk I would be willing to take for a lategame card that will easily win you multiple games. Going without Beach in Blastoise is really just for the budget player, and to be honest you're better off just playing a different deck.
  6. KPiplup

KPiplup An Imposter

Where exactly are you fitting 1-1 techs into an inconsistent deck?
    jeffrey3421 likes this.
  7. SeaLegend

SeaLegend Active Member

You're replacing the Catchers with 1-1 consistency techs?
  8. KPiplup

KPiplup An Imposter

"1-1" and "consistency" don't belong together in today's format.
  9. jeffrey3421

jeffrey3421 Swarm Wannabe

Honestly, I don't like the idea of Electrode at all. I think people are getting all hyped up about Electrode because generally, Blastoise needs 2-3 Beach(preferrably 3) to be workable at all. Just because there's a way that you can play a deck with a cheaper alternative does not make it good, or justify your excuses of 'I think Electrode is better than beach' or 'a combination of beach and Electrode is best' because it's not. I've tested both. Beach is Superior to Electrode in so many ways. I'm not saying Electrode is bad, and it is a cheaper alternative, but nobody should pretend that it is better, or equal, to beach.
  10. SeaLegend

SeaLegend Active Member

IMO, the combination is better (ideally I would run 3 Beach and 1-1 or MAYBE 2-2 Electrode). Electrode can be very good lategame as when you run out of Beaches, or even if you are one turn away from losing, an N to 1 or 2 will lose you many games. There are times when you need that draw acceleration in order to get that last SER you need to win the game on that turn. I'm 100% aware that Beach is absolutely necessary in this deck, but I don't think there are really any better alternatives to the 2-3 Catchers you will very likely be dropping (although we still don't know if this is the best option).
  11. public_toilet

public_toilet Seriously Likeable here guys, Just sayin.

Beach is probably the best option, however Electrode has worked once so I think it should be considered. Beach is more early game and Electrode is Late game. They have their advantages and disadvantages (not just price) and one version may be more consistent than the other. Electrode is very underrated and people should not write this off. I cannot see multiple beach and a 2-2 line (or a 1-1 line) fit into Stoise.

I don't know how Stoise will cope without Catcher, there's nothing wrong with taking out the Catchers for more Consistency but your opponent chooses what you KO and you have no say, you just have to KO whatever is in front of you. You cannot Black Ballista a Darkrai which is about to set up, or get those last 2 prizes against Plasma - potentially giving your opponent an extra turn to win or slow you down.

I would be surprised if catcher won't be needed, I would continue to play these Catcher or you can play the Keldeo centred version. If it turns out Stoise doesn't need Catcher, then fair enough.
  12. Equinox_br

Equinox_br New Member

I think that Blastoise decks will end needing a NON Ex attacker, and maybe some wall to set up. I'm playing Blastoise-Keldeo version with 2 Suicune, 4 Skyla and 1 Silver Mirror, I'm well protected against other EXs and Plasma. In during this time I can setup a Blastoise, Mewtwo or Keldeo. I also play without beaches cause I'm on budget!
  13. Bdubes

Bdubes New Member

Has anyone played with a crystal wall as their ace spec for fun before
  14. Khalldor

Khalldor Member

IMO I find that if you draw your ace spec before you've set up a Blastoise, you want it to be computer search. If you draw it after you've set up your 'Stoise, scoop up can be very clutch in fully healing a card. It also gives you options to rearrange the energy you have in play whilst healing the card with all the energy on.

Considering the decks I/S/S line is dedicated to setting up 'Stoise's I like running Scoop Up. Even though there are times where I look at it and think "If only you were Computer Search :("
    Wrags23 likes this.
  15. SoldiersSpirit

SoldiersSpirit I will defend my Kingdom.

I used to when I played the deck but that was before everyone ran 2+ tool scrappers in their list, it's very bad now though. Before, I'd run 2 max potions and it was very strong but once it's scrappered, the strategy of the deck (to tank) fails...
  16. Bdubes

Bdubes New Member

I guess this deck does not have much else to tool scrap either then float stone so your opponent is probably just sitting there with a scrapper in his hand
  17. Khalldor

Khalldor Member

Or they fall into that trap and discard their scrappers! 300HP Black Kyurem's will rein supreme!
    /sarcasm
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  18. SoldiersSpirit

SoldiersSpirit I will defend my Kingdom.

Problem is, float stones prevent a lot of exceptional play for this deck so yea, I didn't play them...they hurt more than helped...
  19. Khalldor

Khalldor Member

This. You need to be able to rush in, retreat for 2, SER for 4 Water/ 3Water+1Lightning etc.
  20. falcon88

falcon88 New Member

How do you think about Lugia ex ? He works very well against pokemon like absol, sableye, bouffalant, victini ex and much more. . .
    But, against vir.mew2, without Bkyurem ex, you are a bye

My actual list :

3 keldeo
    4 squirtle
    4 blastoise
    2 lugia ex

4 juniper
    4 n
    3 skyka
    2 colress

4 ultra
    4 rare candy