Brain Drain – Finding the Right Formula for Accelgor/Garbodor

Discussion in 'UG Article Talk' started by Magnechu, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Magnechu

Magnechu Active Member

2. Zangoose

Zangoose Member

Played this deck for the first week of Cities, thought I'd share my list because I think you'd be interested in it.

3/3 Accelgor
    2 Landorus EX
    2 Mewtwo EX
    1 Tornadus EX
    1/1 Garbodor
    1 Reshiram BLW
    =14

4 DCE
    5 Fighting
    =9

4 Float Stone
    4 Juniper
    4 N
    3 Skyla
    3 Colress
    3 Laser
    3 Heavy Ball
    3 Level Ball
    2 Ultra Ball
    2 Max Potion
    2 Virbank
    1 Silver Bangle
    1 Super Rod
    1 Switch
    1 Dowsing Machine
    =37

I whiffed cut once, and at another tournament I dead drew.
  3. Crawdaunt

Crawdaunt Active Member

An interesting article indeed! Thanks for the shout-out :)

There's really no right way to play this deck as it's very much a metagame thing and also some personal preference. But I do rather enjoy Virbank as an option to play down against Empoleon. With Virbank up, D&C OHKO's Empoleons (over two turns), which evens up the unfavourable prize trade. I've found that if the Empoleon player can play smart with their evolutions and Switches, they can avoid being stalled by D&C. Virbank prevents the "active Prinplup out" and also expedites and reinforces a lengthy and fragile process.

I love the comment on "no sender upper," not just because the deck itself has no set active Pokemon, but because the appropriate active varies wildly on matchup and stage of game! One comment I'd like to throw out to anyone interested in the deck is to beware sending Garbodor active even in good situations to (at least not without a plan). If they Scrapper your active Garbodor it can end up stranded without a replacement Float.

I obviously like Fighting, but not as a Darkrai answer. I just like the snipe Stunfisk and Landorus bring. At BC Regionals I played the deck with 2 Fighting and 1 Stunfisk just so I could have the option. That list was like... @JayHornung level of tight play, but I was able to win a game with a 4-prize turn by Muddy Water'ing for 100+20 to a Thundurus EX that had been D&C'd, and a Thundurus that had retreated to the bench with 160 damage from a previous whiff. The snipe wins games and I wouldn't go without it. Even if it's just 1-2 Fighting Pokemon and 2 Fighting Energies.

I also find it really strange that you feel the Lugia variant of Plasma is favourable. The last thing I want to see is a Lugia EX with this deck! Lugia + Scrapper and a decent count of Switch + Escape Rope ends games in 2 turns after their initial prizes. I mean... in my article I even proposed Jolteon DEX as a viable tech simply because I view Lugia as that much of a threat!

I'd also like to ask your opinion on one thing I find about this archetype.

Nothing is set in stone except that Garbodor is included. It's kind of like Ho-Oh in that sense. The deck is really "Garbodor/Friends," where friends is defined as any mix of: Accelgor/Eevee's/Fighting/Drifblim/Mewtwo. Would you agree that any mix of those attackers plays very similarly?

The reason I bring this up is that I don't really view Accelgor as critical to the deck's success (though I often include it). Leafeon serves a similar purpose against Blastoise, Drifblims against Plasma, Fighting against Darkrai. Accelgor is probably the best answer to Empoleon, which is my mainstay to keep it in the deck in the current format. But it's an interesting perspective piece to recognize that the same ends can be accomplished through different means, which may mean reducing or completely cutting Accelgor in certain metagames.

The last bit is a bit of honesty from the perspective of a fan of the deck. I certainly don't feel it's anywhere near boasting itself as a potential BDIF. It suffers terrible consistency issues as it relies on only 4 Energy cards throughout the game. It's also highly vulnerable to prizing issues which take careful resource management to its limit. This is one of the biggest reasons, in my opinion, to include a healthy count of Basic Energies and Fighting attackers. The more Energy you run, the fewer times you can whiff and be forced to just pass. Essentially, I view Fighting attackers as a method of patching the fragile nature of the deck, not just as a tech for a matchup.

Sorry, that turned into quite a rant! I'm just giddy for any option to talk about Garbodor/Accelgor (or Garbodor/Friends if I've convinced you of the merit of that name).

Love the topic, love seeing the perspective of someone else toying with the deck. :)
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  4. Magnechu

Magnechu Active Member

Zangoose - interesting list! Why the Lasers? Was 1/1 Garbodor enough? Was it hard to get the Deck and Cover loop going with only 3/3 Accelgor?

My replies are in bold!
    Crawdaunt likes this.
  5. Crawdaunt

Crawdaunt Active Member

@Magnechu, thanks for the reply!

Quickie answers:

I proposed 1-1 Garb in that list a bit misinformed on the general meta. Locally I hadn't seen much VirGen so I was reducing it to make other matchups more effective, but I'd quickly drop a Stunfisk and a Fighting for another 1-1 Garb if I were to propose a list today.

I also haven't really seen any Plasma list run less than 1 Scrapper (Silver Mirrors are a problem) and 3-4 Switching cards. Especially Yeti lists with heavy retreaters like Snorlax. Perhaps the source of my Lugia fear! Although a T3 Lugia also wins VirGen the matchup quite handily.
  6. Zangoose

Zangoose Member

It was a big basic deck that used accelgor for the blastoise matchup, but it also had uses when everyone was playing float stone with minimal switch. It would aim for a deck and cover, and then attack with a big basic. A deck and cover with bank is 110 back to you, 170 with a hammerhead while setting up more ko's. The 3 laser was for pressure because you don't actually stream accelgors, you just do it every couple of turns. Responding with mewtwo and hammerheads was important in testing. I don't think the deck is good, but I could be proven wrong. Going to Virginia Regionals?
  7. Tax_collecter

Tax_collecter Active Member

What does this deck gain/how does it change with X&Y?
  8. Adam

Adam Noice bruv, innit.

We'll have some discussion on that in today's article. I should have it ready sometime tonight.
  9. Tax_collecter

Tax_collecter Active Member

Awesome!