[BRAINSTORM] Need suggestions on building my first deck

Discussion in 'Deck Help & Development' started by omegamon_ex, Aug 25, 2013.

1. omegamon_ex

omegamon_ex Member

Hello sixprizes. I'm actually quite nervous posting my first thread on here so I hope I'm doing this correctly. I've been following this game for quite some time (circa 2010 to be exact) and I've always dreamed to play this game at a competitive level. I lacked the funds at the time to afford a good deck and ended up not following the game for a while. Deep down inside I still wanted to play so when I found out that Pokemon Catcher is getting a reprint in Plasma Blast, I saw this as an opportunity to finally get into this game (Catcher was one of the vital reasons I couldn't afford to build decks).

So that leaves us here. I'm really undecided when it comes to choosing a deck to play with first in the upcoming format. I have no desire to play Tier 1 right off the bat, I want to play decks that exceed the skill level required to play the Double Theme Deck lists that are frequently posted on The Gym (So I guess that would be either Tier 2 or 3 if it exists). To be specific, I want to build about 2-3 of these lower tiered decks to build experience enough to play Tier 1. My end goal is to build TDK when they are reprinted in the tins, so I'm shooting for decks that fit that playstyle if available. If not I have these ideas in mind:

1. A disruptive deck (Garbodor comes to mind)
    2. Garchomp/Altaria
    3. Flareon/Cofagrigus
    4. Kyrem/Absol/Umbreon
    5. Suicune/Terrakion (when Terrakion gets reprinted in Legendary Treasures)
    6. Weavile/Eggs
    7. ??????
    These are decks that I can see myself playing as a first deck. If there any other suggestions you want to add here, please do because I can really use the help. Thanks!
  2. Serperior

Serperior Well-Known Member

Straight Darkrai isn't top tier anymore with the loss of E-Switch, you could run that. Or Darkrai Hydreigon.
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  3. Salamencetrainer34

Salamencetrainer34 An ogre-achiever

Terrakion is legal. As it has a shiny version in Boundaries crossed. And darkrai variants are always good. They are Tier 1.5, but still nice.
    Serperior likes this.
  4. HighShroomish

HighShroomish Wreck-It Ralts

I recommend Garchomp/Altaria or Flareon, Garchomp is easier to play and probably is closer to TDK in play style, but Flareon is a good ridiculously fun deck, even though its much more complicated.
  5. SamSoldier

SamSoldier Don't know what to put here D:

Empoleon/Dusknoir =D
    It is a cheap, fun and be a very competitive deck!
  6. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care

omegamon_ex

Tier 1 decks don't necessarily require any more experience/skill to play than tier 2/3 decks. Sometimes they take less. It's more about the deck type/strategy/options than about how good it is. For example, Big Basics was tier 1 for a time last season, but a poorly-trained monkey could play it with no difficulty (and sometimes they would win tournaments).

Darkrai/Garbodor will still be top tier (just ignore what Serperior says), and will be a good choice to build. Garchomp is also pretty fun right now, and not bad as a competitive deck.
    SamSoldier and Serperior like this.
  7. Serperior

Serperior Well-Known Member

Sorry for not clarifying, I meant straight Darkrai/Darkrai Laserbank.

Thanks
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
    Salamencetrainer34 likes this.
  8. Empoleon1107

Empoleon1107 The one and only Gangsta

Yeah, DarkGarb is an excellent choice for a cheap, competitive deck. I am strongly considering it for Regionals. You can probably get all of your Pokémon for under $40, which is incredibly cheap for this day and age.
    Greenpariah likes this.
  9. omegamon_ex

omegamon_ex Member

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! Dark/Garb looks really attractive at the moment since I tend to have a preference for disruption decks. I also really like the concept of FluffyChomp since its very similar to TDK. So I'm really at a crossroads between these two decks right now.
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  10. cyndaquil

cyndaquil Gravia is love, Gravia is life

I have to say DarkGarb is a lot of fun :p
  11. supersmarty1234

supersmarty1234 rotations, designed to make bulk even more useless

I know this is an odd suggestion, but you could try sableye aggron,
  12. omegamon_ex

omegamon_ex Member

Seems like a fun option but I really wouldn't know how to play a deck like this
  13. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care

It's really frustrating and honestly doesn't work that well anyway. Terrible choice for a first competitive deck because a) it rarely wins and b) the strategy is very atypical so you don't learn much useful about the game in general.

Plus it lost Crushing Hammer in the rotation which was one of its best ways of avoiding KOs.
    HighShroomish likes this.
  14. Zarco

Zarco Alternate format enthusiast

Try some stuff on PTCGO or PlayTCG.
  15. omegamon_ex

omegamon_ex Member

That's part of the plan actually. The only problem is acquiring cards from PTCGO random boosters. At some point I'm going to stock up on code cards. I really want to fool around with PlayTCG.me but that requires people willing to play with me.
  16. pokemonguy

pokemonguy Making Bad Last-Minute Changes Since Nats 2014

There is a Thread in Off-Topic for requesting Play-TCG games.
  17. Wrags23

Wrags23 Feeling... rogue.

For a disruption deck, try Latias EX/Sigilyph DEX with Silver Mirror.
  18. Empoleon1107

Empoleon1107 The one and only Gangsta

You mean Sigilyph DRX, right?
  19. RJCarrot

RJCarrot Poke Breeder Extrodinare.

Wait what?!? How?
  20. Wrags23

Wrags23 Feeling... rogue.

Yes, I mean DRX, sorry.