Can I attend Australian Nationals?

Discussion in 'Organized Play Information & Tournament Reports' started by pokeawesome, Feb 10, 2014.

1. pokeawesome

pokeawesome New Member

I live in Guam and U.S is too far away can I attend Australia's Nationals?
  2. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care

You have to have legal resident status to play in a country's Nationals.

You can't just choose one, even if it is closer.
  3. pokeawesome

pokeawesome New Member

Because guam isn't even on the event finder.
  4. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care

There's a lot of places that don't have any organized play at all. I guess Guam is one of them.

I don't know much (or anything at all) about Guam, I'm afraid, but the 'legal resident' rule applies no matter what the circumstances.

You're free to play in any other tournaments anywhere in the World, except when it comes to Nats and Worlds (invite-only).
  5. Reshiphlosion

Reshiphlosion The Swarm

Yeah b_m is right, since Guam residents are US citizens you guys can only participate in the US Nationals. Which really stinks for anyone living in Guam. Although what you can probably do is start up you own league, and if interesting remains high then you could even start doing some tournaments. (League Challenges, Cities, and maybe even a S/P/T) Although the key part is to get people interested in the first place, so you do have to start small. Get a league going, raise awareness, and slowly try to bring Organized Play to Guam. I know that Guam's population is approximately 160,000 people so if you guys were able to get just 1% of that population into organized play (1,600) then you could have some pretty massive tournaments of your own.

The whole Nationals thing is unfortunate and I don't know if there will be any way to fix that anytime soon; although I think it would be a great idea if you guys decided to start up a league and if you do then I wish you the best of luck. :D