Combustion Blast Charizard EX (12/106)/Pyroar Deck (Flashfire)

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by thflame, Apr 27, 2014.

1. thflame

thflame Member

I have been testing a speed variant with Bike and Skates instead of Virbank/Laser. Basically, I always set up by turn 2 unless I get a REALLY bad hand. Most games start with me drawing cards like mad. Then I just drop a Charizard EX out of nowhere, fully powered with a band turn 2.

Pokemon
    3 Charizard EX
    3-3 Pyroar
    2 Keldeo EX

Trainers
    4 Blacksmith
    3 Juniper
    3 N/Shana
    2 Lysandre

4 Fiery Torch
    3 Ultra Ball
    3 Startling Megaphone
    3 Roller Skates
    2 Bicycle
    3 Muscle band
    2 Prof Letter
    2 Float Stone
    1 Switch
    1 Pal Pad

1 Computer Search/Dousing Machine

Energy
    4 DCE
    8 Fire
  2. hfechhelm

hfechhelm The Swarm

3 startling mega phone?
  3. DGS87

DGS87 New Member

I can be a little of Off-Topic but Pyroar can be outclassed with Megas, Stage 1 etc and isn't safe with escape rope, so why not do this:

3x Stokezard (I know)
    2x Mega Charizard (one each: Fire and Dragon)
    2-2 Aromatize
    2x Xerneas
    2x Sigilyph (If Yveltal)/Manaphy/Qwilfish (If Mewtwo (wall pokes))
    1x Mewtwo-EX or Yveltal-EX

I really didn't playtest any deck with Flashfire cards but since Kangaskahn is played, why not use Charizard in the same way? Rainbows Energy and Max Potion.
  4. thflame

thflame Member

Garbodor. Yeah. Its a thing.
  5. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

2 is usually the threshold on where you're still using it as a Garbodor counter but it's not becoming useless vs. anything else. If you happen to go against Blastoise/Emboar with those Megaphones, you are starting the game with a 3 card disadvantage pretty much.
  6. thflame

thflame Member

I'm not too worried about the Blastoise/Emboar match-up.

Emboar: They either run Delphox or they lose. Baby Rayquaza needs a Muscle Band to OHKO Pyroar (which that deck doesn't play). Emboar can't OHKO Pyroar. If you don't OHKO Pyroar, I retreat it into Charizard and OHKO your counter and Pyroar comes back later to troll EXes. If you run out of counters before I run out of Pyroars, you lose.

Blastoise: Much closer match-up, but I'm still forcing my opponent to use their energy acceleration engine as an attacker. Blastoise is that deck's only counter and it takes a lot of resources to power it up. Furthermore, they need the resources to respond to losing Blastoise readily available.

Last I checked, those decks ran Float Stone anyway.

Garbodor completely screws with this deck. Darkrai is more consistent and the only thing slowing it down is Pyroar. Garbodor makes Pyroar go from being a wall/non-EX attacker to wasted space.

(I also have a personal vendetta against the garbage Pokemon, back when I played Ho-oh, but that's another story.)
  7. Professor_N

Only poor Rain Dance lists run Float Stone.
    jeffrey3421 likes this.
  8. Ein

Ein The Mega Man Master

Garbodor is a matchup that can be handled with the cards already built in. Lysandre is a great tool against a Garbodor. If your opponent is running a Basics + Garbodor deck, you have the option of giving Garbodor the OHKO using a Lysandre, Pyroar, and Musclebank. In Garbodor decks that run other evolutions such as Flareon or Raichu, keeping Garbodors ability off is pretty moot with Megaphones really not doing much. I agree with others in that 3 Megaphones is a bit much. 2 Megaphones/2 Lysandre/1 Pal Pad/Dowsing Machine should enough resources to deal with Garbodor.
  9. yoyos

yoyos delicious hot potatos

You know I don't know why there isn't lists that run bench draw 4 juniper 4 blacksmith 2-3 pal pad and 4 RR, I think tat is really all this deck needs everything else seems to complicate the engine. The reasoning behind this is it seems as beat stick as plasma is, why not try out a simplified version first?
  10. DGS87

DGS87 New Member

Bicycle and Roller Skates can be added and Jirachi-EX
  11. thflame

thflame Member

I have had a chance to test the deck thoroughly on PTCGO (I played about 40 games).

The gist of my findings is that if they don't play Garbodor or a designated Evolution attacker, they lose most of the time. Otherwise it comes down to who sets up first.

I feel like Darkrai sets up a bit faster and/or a bit more reliably.
    Plasma decks just scoop. I saw one guy running a 1-1 line of Plasma Sharpedo (don't know the set). I saw the Carvanha, but he never got the Sharpedo out.
    Fairy Box generally loses, even with Raichu. Raichu can hit Pyroar, but needs a full bench and a Muscle Band to OHKO. Pyroar OHKOs by discarding a [R].

Overall, I'd say I win most games, but that's probably because the meta hasn't adapted to Pyroar yet and Plasma is the most popular deck on PTCGO.
  12. Tax_collecter

Tax_collecter Active Member

Using the OP's list?
  13. Professor_N

Not trying to be rude, but PTCGO isn't exactly the best place to get testing results. Some players do have genuinely competitive decks, but often times the player will not have a good deck list or won't know how to play the deck properly. I like to stick with playing by myself or playing against people I know are good at my local league for test results, I think it's a lot better than PTCGO. Or PlayTCG if you can find someone to play against.
    DGS87 likes this.
  14. thflame

thflame Member

I can generally tell when I'm playing a non-competitive deck/player. I effectively don't count those results when I get a feel for how good a deck is.

While it would be nice to play at a local league, ours has been canceled because they guy running it was in a car accident.

I don't have many competitive friends to test with.

Finally, not to be rude, how exactly do you "play by yourself". Are you talking about running solitaire turn 1s? That only gives you an idea of consistency.[DOUBLEPOST=1399687875][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Pokemon
    3 Charizard EX
    3-3 Pyroar
    1 Keldeo EX

Trainers
    4 Blacksmith
    3 Juniper
    2 N
    2 Shana
    1 Lysandre

4 Fiery Torch
    3 Ultra Ball
    2 Startling Megaphone
    4 Roller Skates
    3 Bicycle
    3 Muscle band
    2 Prof Letter
    2 Float Stone
    1 Switch
    1 Pal Pad

1 Computer Search

Energy
    4 DCE
    8 Fire
    Last edited: May 9, 2014
  15. Professor_N

I'm talking about literally playing both sides of the field. Putting two decks on one playmat and playing with both of them. Make plays as if you don't know your "opponent's" hand. I do that a lot because I too don't have anyone that I playtest with during the week, but I play a lot at league. I can be fun to do and it's a good way to test if you don't have anyone to play with.
    hfechhelm, Tsunami and HighShroomish like this.
  16. Tax_collecter

Tax_collecter Active Member

3-3 Pyroar, does your deck have more of a Pyroar focus?
  17. SparkyArg

SparkyArg Member

What do you say about that idea?

POKEMON 13
    4-4 Pryoar
    3 Charizard EX (combustion Blast)
    1 Keldeo EX
    1 Druddigon FLF

TRAINERS 34
    4 Junip
    3 N
    2 Blacksmith
    2 Lysandre
    4 Hypnotoxic Laser
    3 Virbank
    3 Ultra ball
    1 Levell Ball
    4 Muscle Band
    2 Float Stone
    3 Tool Scrapper
    2 Pal Pad
    1 Proff Letter
    1 Dowsing machine

ENERGY: 13
    4 DCE
    9 Fire
  18. Tsunami

Tsunami Seems legit.

I sometimes play my own private game on playtcg, and test my ability to set up
  19. thflame

thflame Member

It is basically a Pyroar deck with a Charizard to deal with counters/take big KOs.
  20. ThePirateKingAtomsk

ThePirateKingAtomsk Red Haze Stalker

I would play it the opposite way. You take 170 EXs and Evolutions with Charizard and Lock out Safeguarders and 180s with Pyroar.