Combustion Blast Charizard EX (12/106)/Pyroar Deck (Flashfire)

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by thflame, Apr 27, 2014.

1. WaterRapids

WaterRapids New Member

this the exact strategy I've been using and its been consistently good the only game I lost was a close game against blastoise but i added druddigon since then
  2. OshaWaterBottle

OshaWaterBottle Active Member

How will Druddigon help the Blastoise matchup? Keldeo OHKO's everything, they would be stupid to start attacking with BKEX if they can already OHKO you.
  3. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

Most Blastoise decks only run two Keldeo EX and maybe a Super Rod. If you can KO their Keldeos they have no choice but to attack with BKEX.
  4. OshaWaterBottle

OshaWaterBottle Active Member

I think they are going to up that count to 3.
  5. Professor_N

Not until Charizard actually proves itself to be a good deck with some tournament results.
  6. SparkyArg

SparkyArg Member

Please someone say me about that list
  7. thflame

thflame Member

You really need 4 Blacksmith. It is your only real energy acceleration aside from DCE. You want the highest possible chance of drawing into it so you can get a Charizard out ASAP.

You also need some Item based draw support. (Torch works well with Blacksmith) Blacksmith takes up your supporter for the turn, which means this deck needs a non-supporter draw option.

You also have 35 Trainers, which means you need to drop something.

I have been told that 3 Tool Scraper is overkill (especially since you run Dowsing Machine), and Startling Megaphone is better.

I like the Druddigon, though.
  8. Chaostamer

Chaostamer Active Member

Your Supporter count is very weak considering that you run zero drawing Items. I'd say add in some Bicycles and Fiery Torches at the least, and probably a Jirachi-EX. To make room for those, you'll probably have to cut the LaserBank line. I'd probably run no more than one Tool Scrapper and one Pal Pad as well. For that deck, I think Scrapper is the better play than Megaphone since your switching cards are Float Stones. You might find yourself in the position where you're forced to Float a Charizard-EX or Pyroar and need to discard it later for a Muscle Band.
  9. FlareStarfire

FlareStarfire Front Page Contributor

Well, I'm continuing to work on this deck, and I just got the mythical(?) "perfect game" against VirGen. Never in my life have I seen something absurd as Turn 1, Turn 2, Turn 3 300 damage attacks. The guy must've been pulling his hair out. It's getting to the point where I never want to go first; Every time it seems I go second I have a decent shot at landing a first turn attack for 60-80, if not the full 150-170. However, the "combo" seems to go off more than I myself thought it might. I find I can ride off other Virbank Gyms nicely, and it's still a fine 10 damage boost by itself, allowing Wing Attack to reach for 70 when going for a first turn attack.

Posting my build for you guys to leap off of.
    Pokemon (12)
    4 Charizard EX (Combustion Blast)
    2 Litleo (Combustion)
    2 Pyroar
    2 Keldeo EX
    1 Druddigon (Revenge)
    1 Jirachi EX

Trainers (36)
    4 Bicycle
    4 Roller Skates
    4 Ultra Ball
    3 Professor's Letter
    2 Hypnotoxic Laser

4 Professor Juniper
    4 Blacksmith
    3 N
    2 Lysandre

3 Muscle Band
    2 Float Stone

1 Computer Search

Energy (12)
    8 Fire Energy
    4 Double Colorless Energy
  10. Professor_N

Them Roller Skates. I see you wanna go fast.
  11. FlareStarfire

When they hit, they do ridiculous things. Good thing they're not 100% accurate.
  12. Professor_N

If they were 100% accurate they would cost 15$ each. Let's not do that.
  13. FlareStarfire

On that note, I'm thinking the 4/3 split might be correct. I actually am still having a difficult time actually using bike. It seems to end up sitting in my hand a lot, except for when skates misses.
  14. Professor_N

I felt the same way when I played my Gonna Go Fast Lugia EX deck.
  15. CyrusTyler

CyrusTyler Skill Level: Average Plebian

>not "Gotta Go Fast"
    Ya blew it.

I see no one running Protection Cube with Mega Zard Y. (Mega Zard X has a better weakness but you discard cards to get your OHKOs, so I think a split would be wise if not only Mega Zard Y.) Is space that big of an issue in this deck? Or is Megaphone the reason Protection Cube isn't in most lists?
  16. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care

I don't think many people are running the Mega Zards full stop.

They are a pain to get out, the attacks have massive drawbacks, and the 300 damage is redundant against anything besides another M Kangaskhan decks. Combustion Blast/Muscle Band/Laser gets the job done, so why bother?
  17. CyrusTyler

CyrusTyler Skill Level: Average Plebian

I can see people using Megas for consistency; less cards needed for one-shot kills. Speaking of cards, is having a huge hand common in this deck?
  18. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care

I don't see how Megas are more 'consistent'. They don't even use less cards either (Zard/M Zard/5 Energy vs Zard/Band/4 Energy for a 170 HP OHKO or Zard/4 Energy/Laser/Bank for 180), plus there is the turn loss, more resources/turns to get the extra Energy/Mega, running Protection Cube or Dark Energy . . . seems like a lot more effort to me.

I wouldn't say having a huge hand is especially common with this deck. Fiery Torch only draws 2 and you will be giving up your draw Supporter for Blacksmith some of the time.
  19. thflame

thflame Member

The only reasons I would consider running Mega Charizard would be as a "just for fun" add in, if I had space or if I was running a Charizard Rush deck with no counter to Pyroar.

In both cases, I would run ONE M Charizard EX [R].

Something like:

Pokemon: 8

4 Charizard EX
    1 M Charizard EX [R]
    2 Keldeo EX
    1 Druddigon

Trainers: 40
    4 Blacksmith
    3 Juniper
    2 N
    2 Shana
    1 Lysandre

4 Torch
    3 Rollerskates
    3 Bicycle
    3 HTL
    3 Muscle Band
    2 Ultra Ball
    2 Float Stone
    1 Switch
    1 Prof Letter
    1 Pal Pad
    1 Protection Cube
    1 Comp Search

3 Virbank

Energy: 12
    8 [R]
    4 DCE

(Just a rough list. Not intended to be competitive.)
  20. ZaPpy314

ZaPpy314 New Member

With Philippines Nationals getting near,

Here's my take on Chari - Pyroar list:

3 Litleo
    3 Pyroar
    2 Charizard EX
    1 Jirachi EX
    1 Druddigon
    1 Keldeo EX

10 Fire
    4 DCE

4 juniper
    4 Fiery Torch
    4 Ultraballs
    3 Muscle Band
    3 skyla
    3 BSmith
    2 Float Stone
    2 N
    2 Sky Arrow Gym Bridge
    2 Tool Scrapper
    1 S.Rod
    1 EvoSoda
    1 Prof. Letter
    1 Dowsing Machine
    1 Lysandre
    1 PalPad

There are several games I started turn 1 or 2 combustion blast.

Ultraballs + Jirachi + BlackSmith really are a thing when the combinations hits.

However, I felt this deck is at its best early to mid game. A late Ns were devastating and become more on luck based or top decking skills (if that can be called a skill).

Supporters are piling up 30 - 40% of the time in one hand combination making it hard to decide to play any of them.

Pyroar no doubt is a great card. Counters in every deck 2 - 2 for pre-evos and 6 or less item cards (e.g tools and lasers), every opponent will have a big problem if they burned up all necessary counters.

with a late N being a significant problem, I'm theoretically giving electrode PLF a try plus the item draw engines like Bicycles and skates you guys have been sharing.

Most decks right now either set up or being aggressive have a solution for this kind of deck that might run them inconsistent.

Chari total attack with band is 170 damage. He surely can KO EX pokemon within range but with an issue for Darkrai, Chari, Giratina, Coballion and Landorus. Darkrai was the most popular and Gira is the expected counter and others are now being seen as less viable.

My approach on it is to put HTL to dive in the right math or what will be your take on this one?

Forrettress might be good however this may make the deck more clogged and more likely might become unnecessary.

So how's the result of using skates and bicycles?