Tier 1 Darkrai EX, Garbodor DRX

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by SeaLegend, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Arkius

Arkius New Member

Why wouldn't this deck be good? I don't see any rule changes or anything.
  2. indercarnive

indercarnive Well-Known Member

this is a bit slower deck so match rounds in 50 minutes will go to time a lot. you also lack a way of one hitting anything in virgen tilting the match up in thier favor. also plasma is running scrapper. that hurts a lot more then you would think. the deck is still good mind you and IMO the best garb variant.
  3. blazechomp1

blazechomp1 Active Member

I think that with 50 min you can easily get to 2 games, but the 3rd will almost always be to time. And although nothing in the deck 1HKOs any cards in Virgen, the HP of both Virizion and Genesect is the perfect number for darkrai plus dark claw and laser. And yeah it does hurt that plasma is running tool scrapper, but with 2 enhanced hammers and garbodor going at times its rlly hard for your opponent to really get a hug advantage. If they run 3 scrappers, that means a max of 4 turns with abilities. (This is if we are able to constantly get tools and they do not discard any tool scrappers.) The other issue though is that you, probably, will run 2 enhanced hammers which will make it really hard for them to even take prizes during those few turns they have with deoxy, keldeo and possibly lugia.
  4. Greenpariah

Greenpariah First year competive player in masters.

I went up against an actual TDK list today and won 2-0 at our league. Honestly the biggest issue i saw against my Dark/Garb deck was he was able to Stream Kyurems via colress machine and water energy. I had a late lock first game, but that didn't make to much of a difference as i had already gotten the T2 nightspear and was just killin it. The second game i got a very early lock, i believe by T2, he scrappered me twice, to hit for boosted damage with no knock out, but everytime he scrappered me i had a tool in my hand waiting to play down. All in All i may have gotten lucky, ill just have to get more games in.
  5. Wrags23

Wrags23 Feeling... rogue.

I have been doing a lot of testing with this deck, and I have found that it has a bad match-up versus Virizion/Genesect. Once I KO one Pokemon, they always have more completely charged and ready to go. Does anyone know if there's any tech I could include to improve the matchup, or am I just left to die against them?
  6. Greenpariah

Greenpariah First year competive player in masters.

Enhanced hammer might help a little bit.
  7. TylerLindsey

TylerLindsey Road to DC.

I have had moderate success improving the matchup vs Virizion/Genesect. I generally don't bother trying to turn on Garbotoxin, and instead dedicate my resources towards setting up as many Darkrai as possible; you really can't miss a Night Spear in this matchup, from my experience.

As strange as it sounds (and this I haven't tried yet), something like Potion would probably work wonders against them. Removing their ability to two-shot your Darkrai (via regular attacks, anyways) is huge, and causes them to lean a little harder on having the G Booster/resources than they would like.
  8. blazechomp1

yeah i have strongly considered potion as well for not only the Virgen matchup, but also to help get rid of sniper damage from Kyurem. With Garbodor going its a lot harder for TDK to take you down, and potioning off damage can make that even harder.
  9. infernaperocks

infernaperocks A Proud Member Of Team Rouge!

does anybody have a list with potion?
  10. blazechomp1

11. indercarnive

your list is really similar to mine. except i have 4 laser and 3 catcher. 2 colress and a beach instead of 2 receivers and a bike. also i have an absol instead of an energy search. the one prize absol can be really nice and adds a whole new set of numbers/
  12. infernaperocks

have you ever needed energy search or are you fine without it? (asking cause i'm thinking of building the deck.)
  13. indercarnive

i am fine without it though an 11th energy would be nice for consistency.
  14. Hal

Hal Did I hear "Garbodor"?

I heard this somewhere and have thought it to be absolutely true: If you are running basic energy and Skyla, run an energy search.
    -
    I like the potion thing, unfortunately I still run a 3-3 Garb line and am not quite ready to cut it down, so I have little room for anything.
  15. infernaperocks

what do you think of this?

Pokemon: (11)
    3x Darkrai
    3x Trubbish
    2x Garbodor
    3x Sableye

T/S/S: (40)
    4x Juniper
    4x N
    3x Skyla
    2x Colress

3x Catcher
    4x Dark Patch
    4x Hpynotoxic laser
    4x Float stone
    3x Ultra Ball
    2x Dark Claw
    2x Enhanced Hammer
    1x energy search
    1x Potion
    1x Dowsing Machine

2x Virbank City Gym

Energy: (9)
    9x Dark Energy

I tried to put in both of your guys suggestions and have a thicker garbo line just cause I played it last season and wanted a 3-2 line. i also put in a third sableye for TDK.
  16. indercarnive

-1 trubbish
    -1 sableye
    -1 skyla
    +1 random receive/tropical beach
    +1 super rod
    +1 energy/absol

rod is too helpful in here and 2-2 garb is fine once you get past the taboo of running so thin a line. also while sableye seems nice for tdk, 2 is enough has w/o lasers they need 4 deoxys to one shot it without putting a whole lot of resources into killing it. and darkrai needs to be night spearing asap to prevent kyurems from being able to attack and the 11th energy is good for that or you can use absol giving you a whole new set of numbers. 3 skyla seems a bit too much. i like 2 and i often find myself preferring to use another supporter if i can. i personally like beach as it makes a t1 skyla good, but receiver is 2nd best.
  17. blazechomp1

I am trying to run this as much as a normal darkrai from last format, with the energy lines at least, and just have the garbodor as a tech. Personally I think this is the best way to run it[DOUBLEPOST=1377647990][/DOUBLEPOST]and yes I do think that 10 energies and an energy search are important if you want to have a fast, consistent deck. It allows you to get more energies into the discard faster, and allows you to attach more often. I do like the idea of beach, but if you run a lot of energies, like I do, you rarely miss a t1 junk hunt. Really the only reason to run beach is if you run a low count of sableye or you don't really intend on trying to get a sableye out t1.
  18. infernaperocks

do you think energy or absol?
  19. blazechomp1

definitely energy. Think about this; you run both sableye AND garbodor. Your opponent is more than likely already going to take one of them out, so absol really won't mess with the math all that much[DOUBLEPOST=1377648305][/DOUBLEPOST]And another good thing about running a lot of energies is it makes it easier to stream darkrai's, which is SUPER important against Virgen. Its a lot easier for you to get a darkrai going compared to them getting a Genesect, so I try to take advantage of that by running more energies so I can get faster darkrai's
  20. infernaperocks

thanks appreciate it.:):)