Tier 1 Darkrai EX, Garbodor DRX

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by SeaLegend, Aug 14, 2013.

1. ShinyEevee

ShinyEevee The not so shiny

Good catch. I forgot -1 catcher and -1 dark energy.

Pokemon 13
    2 Darkrai Ex
    3 Yveltal Ex
    3 Yveltal
    1 Sableye
    2-2 Garbodor

Supporters 8
    4N
    4 Sycamore

Items 26
    4 Hypnotoxic laser
    2 Pokemon catcher
    2 Tool scrapper
    4 Muscle band
    2 Dark Claw
    1 Float stone
    3 Ultra ball
    1 Professors letter
    4 Dark patch
    3 Random Reciever

Stadium 2
    2 Virbank

Energy 11
    3 DCE
    8 Darkness
  2. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

I would take out the 3 Yveltal XY for 2 Float Stones and a Bouffalant. I would then take out the 2 Dark Claws (why have 6 +20 damage items? seems overkill) for a Darkness Energy and a Ultra Ball.
  3. ShinyEevee

Loosing Yveltal XY seems bad. Care to shed light on why you feel it should be dropped? Its the best accelerator of the game and by far the best turn 1 unless you get a nut hand with sableye. I mean I'll test anything but Yveltal XY seems too good. I originally ran 2 and then kicked it up to 3.

I think I might drop down to 4 muscle band rather than 4/2 line. I had that many because I didn't want a dead tool card simply to attach to garbodor to activate toxin. And I also needed extra to get through a rain of tool scrapper. I might drop 2 dark claw for 1 more float stone and another ultra ball. I don't really have time to test this out tomorrow so I'll have to wait a few days to test it out more.

I also will try a 2/1 Yveltal XY/bouffalant line to see how it works.
  4. Professor_N

The thing is, you never want to be forced to Oblivion Wing. Evil Ball is 100x better, and in a deck that is focused on speed, you want to be doing more damage.
  5. ShinyEevee

And Yveltal XY is acceleration. I don't want to feel like I'm defending a bad card or making excuses. I sincerely feel that Yveltal xy is an essential part of the current speed builds. I've ran the deck without them and found that it can stall out or generally isn't as fast as it could have been.

I will go out and test it to make sure.
  6. Professor_N

From my personal experience Yveltal XY is just simply inferior to Yveltal EX in every way. Sure, grabbing an Energy from the discard onto a Benched Pokemon is great, but we already have Dark Patch for that. If you play your Dark Patches as they come to you, you won't have enough Energy in the discard to make use of Oblivion Wing in the early game anyways. I would rather use Evil Ball on my second turn than Oblivion Wing any day.
  7. Salamencetrainer34

Salamencetrainer34 An ogre-achiever

You also forgot an ace spec. Id use dowsing
  8. onlyinAMERICA

onlyinAMERICA ...because I'm Batman.

I agree with Professor_N on this one. I can understand 1 Yveltal XY but 3 seems a tad much. If you have to rely on Oblivion Wing later on in the game it seems like you've been backed into a corner you don't want to be in. Sableye, Bouffalant, and even Absol are better all around non-EX options for this deck. As far as who I would rather be attacking with, Yveltal XY or Yveltal EX; I would rather be attacking with Yveltal EX to pile on the damage as fast as possible. This deck sacrifices some consistency to improve it's bad match ups. You want to be dishing out some real damage as soon as possible.
  9. RodimusPrime55

RodimusPrime55 New Member

Here is a list I'm working with right now and changed up since I used it at my first league challenge this past Saturday:

Pokémon: 11
    2-2 Garbodor
    3 Yvetal EX
    2 Darkria EX
    2 Sableye

Supporters: 9
    3 N
    4 Prof. Sycamore
    2 Shauna

item/tools: 24
    2 Random Receiver
    4 Dark Patch
    2 energy switch
    1 enhanced hammer
    3 HTL
    3 Pkmn Catcher
    1 Prof. Letter
    1 Tool Scrapper
    3 Ultra Ball
    3 Float Stone
    3 Muscle band

Stadium: 2
    2 Virbank city gym

Ace Spec:
    dowsing machine

Energy:
    8 Dark
    2 DCE

Debating on keeping in the Enhanced hammer or dropping it for something else. Any thoughts would greatly be appreciated seeing that I have just gotten back into the game.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  10. Professor_N

Drop 2 of the Shaunas for a Random Receiver and a DCE. Then drop a Pokemon Catcher for a Darkness Energy. I think Shauna is good as a 1-of just to have an extra Supporter (kinda like PONT from 2012, except not really), but not good enough for three of them.
  11. RodimusPrime55

RodimusPrime55 New Member

Yeah after reading ur post and looking back at the list I realized I had 2 extra cards that were not in the original (1 extra N and 1 extra Shauna so it should look something like this:

Pokémon: 11
    2-2 Garbodor
    3 Yvetal EX
    2 Darkria EX
    2 Sableye

Supporters: 9
    3 N
    4 Prof. Sycamore
    2 Shauna

item/tools: 24
    2 Random Receiver
    4 Dark Patch
    2 energy switch
    1 enhanced hammer
    3 HTL
    3 Pkmn Catcher
    1 Prof. Letter
    1 Tool Scrapper
    3 Ultra Ball
    3 Float Stone
    3 Muscle band

Stadium: 2
    2 Virbank city gym

Ace Spec:
    dowsing machine

Energy:
    8 Dark
    2 DCE
  12. Professor_N

I would still take out a Shauna for an N.
  13. pokemonguy

pokemonguy Making Bad Last-Minute Changes Since Nats 2014

-Prof Sycamore + Prof Juniper.
  14. Frosty79x

Frosty79x Member

I think this is going to be the next deck that I build because for some reason I strongly dislike Yveltal EX. It's just boring. Maybe it has something to do with Evil Ball not sounding as solid as Night Spear... Besides that, it's just too hyped, I wanted to use Darkrai as an attacker. What kind of list am I looking at in the current format?
  15. Alastair

Alastair Mr. Evil Dr. Porkchop

Is speed Darkrai still used, with Mewtwo and everything, or is it replaced by Yveltal?
  16. SparkyArg

SparkyArg Member

This is my Darkrai/Yveltal/Garbodor list. On actual format.

Poke: 12
    2 Darkrai EX
    3 Yveltal EX
    2 Sableye
    2-2 Garbodor
    1 Yveltal

Trainer: 37
    4 Sycamore
    3 N
    2 Skyla
    1 Colress

3 Ultra ball
    2 Virbank
    3 Laser
    2 Float Stone
    3 Muscle band
    4 Dark Patch
    1 Tool Scrapper
    1 Silver Mirror
    2 Enhanced Hammer
    2 Energy Switch
    1 Proff Letter
    1 Dowsing Machine
    2 Poke Catcher

Energy: 11
    8 Dark
    3 DCE

When Flashfire comes to format my list have to change. My answer is what i'm change for XY2

This is My idea:
    -2 Pokemon Catcher
    -1 Silver Mirror
    -2 Skyla

+2 Lysandre
    +2 Random Receiver
    +1 Sableye.

What do you say?
  17. Professor_N

That was done pretty much after Heartgold/Soulsilver was rotated. No Shaymin means that Mewtwo in Darkrai wasn't nearly as good, no Dark Patch + Celebration Wind plays. So I guess you could say it was "replaced" by Yveltal, but Yveltal is pretty much it's own Pokemon.
    onlyinAMERICA likes this.
  18. Frosty79x

Frosty79x Member

Is using no Yveltal, or at the most 1, a valid strategy?
  19. Professor_N

Valid? Yes. Most optimal? Debatable. Yveltal EX is one of the strongest cards in the game right now, and even though Darkrai EX is strong as well, Yveltal EX just simply does more damage than Darkrai can.
  20. Frosty79x

Frosty79x Member

I hate having that huge loaded-up Yveltal that when knocked out can take down your entire strategy. I'm thinking maybe 2, and mostly Y-Cycloning.