Tier 1 Darkrai EX, Garbodor DRX

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by SeaLegend, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

The thing about Yveltal is that you dont usually need a whole butt load of Energy on it to take OHKOs. With the added 50 damage from LaserBank/Band, you can easily get by with about 4 Energy on the Yveltal to take KOs.
  2. Simon_Fritz

Simon_Fritz Insert witty comment here ______

You shouldn't really have to load up a big Yveltal, the damage it does adds up very quickly so you don't really need that much to take big KOs.
  3. shong

shong Member

If your "entire strategy" involves loading up a single Yveltal EX with a bunch of energy and mindlessly Evil Balling away then you're doing it really wrong. The strongest point of a deck like this is the ability to have your energy spread to numerous attackers. It's a large part of why N is so strong in this deck/why this deck takes a late game N better than many other decks that can get an explosive start out of the gate then find themselves N'd to 1-2, having their only relevant attacker blown up and finding themselves on the ropes a couple turns later.

If we're planning to attack with an Yveltal EX against a defending Pokemon with 0 energy attached and no damage on it then you're basically always wanting to Y-Cyclone (real world I'm probably wanting to get Yveltal EX out of the active so that whatever they have benched doesn't KO me the next turn). If their defending 170 HP EX has 3 energy attached then we just need 2 energy, Muscle Band and Laserbank. If it has 2 attached then we need 3 energy (which is obviously easily done with only 2 cards via DCE), Muscle Band and Laserbank. If it has 1 energy attached then we are in overextension territory, needing 4 energy, Muscle Band and Laserbank. Without Garbodor active, I'd much rather be knocking out something like a Thundurus that has 1 attached than something like a Ray/BKEX where they can just instantly load up another attacker but just putting 140 on with Muscle Band+Laserbank via Y-Cyclone is generally the preferred play against 170 HP with 1 energy attached. Regular Yveltal and Darkrai EX can really carry their weight with baby Yveltal able to sprinkle around damage putting anything in range of an easy KO later or just finishing off a wounded warrior while only giving up 1 prize and Darkrai EX can put them in a bind where they may be forced to leave something with 30 HP left in the active spot to avoid us taking a 4 prize turn, and with Laserbank we can frequently use Yveltal XY or Sableye to regain some resources.

tl;dr: don't always blast away with Evil Ball. Y-Cyclone is frequently where it's at. The only negative to Y-Cyclone in this deck is when we are unable to free retreat.

*edit*
    While I'm at it, here's my current list. 59 cards. I'm playing it +1 Ultra Ball but there are many other reasonable options. I gave up on Catcher. I think Tool Scrapper is really underrated in this deck, taking away the opponent's ability to OHKO can be pretty incredible.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  4. Alastair

Alastair Mr. Evil Dr. Porkchop

Tool scrapper should still be essential in most decks, because of tools like Muscle Band, Silver Mirror/Bangle, Protect Cube, Float Stone, Giant Cape, Eviolite, among others.
  5. Ziggmiceter

Ziggmiceter Ultimate 6P tournament procrastinator

You basically just named a bunch of tools in the format. The only other tools in format I can even name are Hard Charm and EXP Share, plus you didn't name the one reason people still play Scrapper at all: G Booster. Anyways, Scrapper isn't needed because there are simply better uses for that space.
    jeffrey3421 and Professor_N like this.
  6. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

In his list specifically I would take out the scrapper for another Darkness Energy (or DCE, but I'd prefer the Darkness).
  7. ZLFaurora

ZLFaurora The storm and the flood

This will sound like a bit of an odd request, so please bear with me. Is it possible to build this without using anything from Dragons Exalted? Or more specifically, without anything that will likely be cycled at the end of this year.

I want to build this deck, but I don't want to invest in cards that will be gone by the end of the year.
  8. onlyinAMERICA

onlyinAMERICA ...because I'm Batman.

Dark Patches and Sableyes are the two biggest things that you can bank on leaving the format after this season.
  9. ZLFaurora

ZLFaurora The storm and the flood

So how decent of a deck can I build without those?
  10. Ziggmiceter

Ziggmiceter Ultimate 6P tournament procrastinator

I would say this deck would be Tier 3 without them. A playset of Dark Patch and 2 Sableye should be easy to trade for with a local player. (holy crap, I have like 16 Dark Patch a playset are selling for $30! That's crazy overpriced.)
  11. onlyinAMERICA

onlyinAMERICA ...because I'm Batman.

They are two of the biggest reasons if not the biggest reasons why this deck is good in the first place.
  12. prfelm

prfelm Member

Do you think that this deck is good choice for nats? I don´t know if I should play this deck or Virgen ...
  13. shong

shong Member

In my opinion the only way for this deck to be a poor choice is if you expect an overwhelming part of the metagame to be comprised of Yveltal/Darkrai. The space devoted to Garb makes us have a bad time against a skilled opponent, but Garb is just so strong against so many things that I can't see how this deck could ever be a bad choice. Decks with a lot of non-EXs can try to force some rough prize exchanges but running 4 non EX attackers myself I feel good sacrificing 3 of them each game to keep the playing field level
  14. prfelm

prfelm Member

What do you think about this?

3 Yveltal-EX
    3 Sableye
    1 Druddigon - Flashfire
    2 Trubbish - Posion Gas
    2 Garbodor - Garbotoxin

4 Juniper
    4 N
    3 Random Receiver
    3 Bicycle
    3 Ultra Ball
    1 Dowsing Machine
    3 Muscle Band
    3 Float Stone
    4 Dark Patch
    4 Hypnotoxic laser
    2 Pokemon Catcher

2 Virbank City Gym

4 Double Colorless Energy
    7 Darkness

2 free places, any ideas?
    Last edited: May 1, 2014
  15. Datwombat

Datwombat Wannabe Failure

I personally think 2 Druddigon is overkill, as the matchups you need it most in (Rain Dance) you already have Garbodor. 1 Druddigon is still good because it is a solid attacker and almost seals up the Rain Dance matchups. As for the EvoSoda, i think the one of is a waste of space, and there is absolutely better things you could put in over it.
  16. prfelm

prfelm Member

Thanks Datwombat! What I should swap for these two cards?
  17. Datwombat

Datwombat Wannabe Failure

I like having at least one switching card whether it be just Switch or Escape Rope for emergency situations and some cool card combos. The other slot could be devoted to a fourth Ultra Ball for consistency, or a Darkrai EX, as it is still a very strong and effective attacker. Plus, in matchups that you don't need Garbodor you can have the free retreat Darkrai provides.
  18. shong

shong Member

I strongly agree with at least 1 Switch card. A lot of people seem to go with the philosophy of playing Escape Rope if they aren't running Catcher effects and Switch if they aren't. In this deck I just like regular old Switch regardless. It's solid all around and can get you in some funny dominating spots against some decks if you're able to Junk Hunt it and a Laser at the same time.
  19. A third Virbank can also help ensure you get the most out of every Lazer throughout the game (more likely to be in the hand early game for pressure as well as being more likely to win out overall in a stadium war)
  20. Dark_Espeon

Dark_Espeon Darkness Trainer

Hi prfelm,

Consider Pal Pad and Lysandre.

Pokémon (10):

3 Yveltal Ex
    2 Sableye
    1 Druddigon
    2 Trubbish
    2 Garbodor

Trainer (38):

4 Juniper