Tier 1 Darkrai EX, Garbodor DRX

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by SeaLegend, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

Of course. I run 2 RR 3 Bike in my speed build.
  2. Googleplex

Googleplex Rule #3: Wear your heart on your cheek

Wait, this supporter line with Lysandres is for the speed build?
  3. Professor_N

It use it for my Garb build to, but I had to cut a Bicycle to fit in Float Stones. So it's 4/4/2/2/2 Juniper/N/Lysandre/RR/Bike in my Garb build.
  4. Googleplex

Googleplex Rule #3: Wear your heart on your cheek

Hmm, I wouldn't feel safe with that at all, but I guess if you like it.
  5. darkslayer

darkslayer New Member

I agree with you, Professor_N, I was more or less looking at his deck and it seemed more favorable to run 1 rather than 2 in his case. I currently run 2, and it runs very well. I suppose it's just a matter of Personal preference, Playing Style and what you're going for. I run 1 in one of my variations and it works well. Would it work well in all spreads, definitely not.
  6. Professor_N

One of what? Bike, RR, or Lysandre? And usually things don't actually boil down to personal preference and play style, it boils down to what works better than other choices. In a card game there is always a best choice of cards to fit the deck's needs.
    baby_mario likes this.
  7. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care

Absolutely. People say 'preference' and 'playstyle' because it sounds nicer than 'I don't know which is best'.

It may be extremely difficult and far too time consuming to work out what is best, but that's not the same thing as there being no best.
    KPiplup likes this.
  8. Professor_N

Surely it wouldn't be too time consuming if you simply play a few games a day to see what it the most consistent in the most number of games you play. If you're testing for Nats you're probably doing this anyways.

The way I see it Lysandre is more consistent but has the draw back of fewer draws, which can be supplemented to some extent by Bicycle. Pokemon Catcher on the other hand has a 50% chance of failing, but allows you to play multiple on the same turn to boost your odds of it succeeding. Both have their obvious merits, but what it really should boil down to is if your deck can handle playing Lysandre and taking up what would otherwise draw you extra cards for the turn. If it cannot, consider if your deck even needs a gust effect at all. Yveltal EX absolutely has the capability of OHKOing any Pokemon in the game, so it does not need a gust effect, even though it can win you a game here and there (and everywhere).

I suppose the tl;dr is just test both Lysandre and Pokemon Catcher out to see which one fits best in your deck, if your deck even needs one at all.
  9. darkslayer

darkslayer New Member

I was referring to Lysandre.[DOUBLEPOST=1399967937][/DOUBLEPOST]I'll give an example, a deck that is either fully consistent or lacks consistency to improve speed over the deck. A consistent deck would require less deck thinning and more likely set-up quicker. If you prefer to play with a deck that is fast you will more than likely sacrifice cards to achieve the results.

A more defensive version would rely on very consistent drawing less thinning, I'm not saying that you won't even have to but it should be consistent. You lose less cards, that's my definition of a Defensive deck. But really it could be a lot of different things, just depending on the tools you run. I was just giving another example.

Okay look, I'm not saying I'm as an experienced player as you, because I'm obviously not. I'm just elaborating on what I said.

I do actually know what I'm doing, I may not be good at addressing it in verbal context but you can't just assume I'm just saying something just to overshadow me being oblivious.

Honestly I could sit here and toss around 1000 different variables, but what's the point. It really doesn't matter.
    Last edited: May 13, 2014
  10. CyrusTyler

CyrusTyler Skill Level: Average Plebian

It actually does. Theory'moning is a tool which helps you grow as a player. Best to do it as much as you can, as it helps you during games to narrow down your train of thought. That way, when you get to the game, you've theory'moned enough to know your deck and its possibilities inside and out.
  11. Yankeefan1985

Yankeefan1985 Member

I like Catcher not using your supporter, also just also hate the fact of you have drop stuff out of your deck for more catchers. I switched to Lysandre myself and its working good. Really though like said up to the player though
  12. PokemonGeek

PokemonGeek Derp, Derp, Derpity Derp

i still think you should keep the 2 Keldeo in case of Trevenant/Accelgor.
  13. KPiplup

KPiplup An Imposter

I'm sure Trevenant/Accelgor players will be pleased to see 4 free prizes at the hands of a Catcher/Lysandre.

Remember, it's not just staying unparalyzed: You also have to beat them to taking 6 prizes.
  14. PokemonGeek

Sorry, I'm a bit confusedo_O. Could you clarify that please?
  15. KPiplup

KPiplup An Imposter

Bangle+Deck and Cover OHKO's a Keldeo. Even if you KO a Trevenant, that's 2 prizes to 1. You'll lose that exchange.
  16. PokemonGeek

Ah right, okay.
    Isn't the math something like this:

D&C=50x2=100+30(Bangle)+30(Bangle Weakness)+10(Poison)=170=OHKO

Wow, now I'm the one being confusing...
  17. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care

Deck and Cover = 50 + 30 for Bangle = 80. x2 for Weakness = 160 + 10 for Poison =170.

Bangle Weakness isn't calculated separately, it raises the base attack damage which is then doubled.

I don't think Trevenant is worth teching for tbh. This isn't like last year when everyone was terrified of all the Goth/Accelgor running around. If you really wanted something to deal with it, I would rather play more Lysandre or use Pokemon Centre Lady.
  18. CyrusTyler

CyrusTyler Skill Level: Average Plebian

Pokemon Center Lady feels like the card that would do to Accelgor decks what Startling Megaphone did to Tool Drop, should it (Lady) have been printed as an Item.
  19. Gelato

Gelato The Swarm

But then Trevenant would block it being used...just run Audino BCR if yore that worried
    baby_mario likes this.
  20. camoclone

camoclone Tomorrow we strike...

Someone tell me what meta deck consistently beats Yveltal / Garbodor.