Tier 1 Darkrai EX, Garbodor DRX

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by SeaLegend, Aug 14, 2013.

1. blazechomp1

blazechomp1 Active Member

ok a few suggestions from a senior who is just now moving up to masters, you really don't need 14 draw cards/supporters. You can take out either a bike or the colress for something like a second enhanced hammer. The best choice of ACE SPEC is definitely Dowsing Machine. You also only need 3 darkrai's since you run super rod. With that spot you can put in a 4th float stone, which is really really REALLY important for the deck to function. Also I don't really find tool scrapper needed because, unlike TDK, there is no tool that is affecting your attackers and just another enhanced hammer or more energies would make the deck run better.[DOUBLEPOST=1377815856][/DOUBLEPOST]
    The one problem with tropical beach is it really doesnt help in all that many situations. I would much rather be able to get a sableye up instead of beaching. Also I would NOT advise absol. The issue is that absol is more of a 1-hit-wonder. It can do a lot of damage for a turn, but it will get easily KOed back. On top of that your opponent will more than likely take down either a garbodor or sableye, so absol will not help with the math.
  2. Ramie_J

Ramie_J New Member

what about which trubbish to use? i agree on the tropical beach theory. for me, it wont help, since i hit sableye on the opening hand most of the time, and in the long run, it'll screw up my late N's for 2 or 3 on my opponent. I'm still debating on the 2 counts of potions though, and im also wondering if I actually do need 2 skyla since I always discard them because it just slows down my momentum throughout the game. i think i'll just keep it as a one-of at this point.
  3. kbs021

kbs021 Member

I have been playing the deck for awhile and this is definitely tier 1.5 to tier 1. This deck is doing very well every time I play it. It also has many different tech options. I even tried iris in this deck to give a one-shot option while playing dowsing machine to grab it if I have to discard it. I think the best tech right now is enhanced hammer though. Its good against plasma and genesect and that's never a bad thing.
  4. Ramie_J

Ramie_J New Member

what's your decklist? please share, i think I'm doing something wrong with mine :(
  5. kbs021

kbs021 Member

Pretty much the same as all of these. I won't post my full list just because I don't normally like doing that but.... I run 3 trubbish. 2 garb. 13 draw cards. 10 dark. no potions. 2 enhanced hammer. 3 sabeleye. You just need this deck to be consistent. It doesn't require turn two night spear in most games but you need junk hunting or night spearing every turn. This deck is mean't to slow down the meta-decks and then use incredible night spear math 90 plus 20 from dark claw and 30 from laser is 140 which is pefectt for the meta right now considering you keep your energy when you attack. what do you feel is wrong?
  6. Datwombat

Datwombat Wannabe Failure

The key thing about this deck is like kbs021 said. It isn't like most other Darkrais, it is slow, and is a control deck. It aims to destroy setups, then sweep with a few Darkrai. And i personally adore a single Absol in the deck, because it is just that, a one hit wonder. It hits a bit harder than Darkrai, meaning you only need one Night Spear snipe to KO an EX alot of the time. And Beach is extremely useful from my testing. There a lot of the time is not a great turn 1 option, and Beach helps to further your setup. I don't advise cutting a bunch of Sableye because of Beach, i just use it as a way to setup, and though i agree Sableye is an amazing card, i prefer Drawing more than grabbing a couple items i don't need in some of the early turns. And blazechomp1 you still run Virbank if you're afraid of it messing up your comeback N's.
  7. Doubleaintx

Doubleaintx New Member

Pokemon: 10
    3 Darkrai EX
    2 Sableye
    3 Trubbish
    2 Garbodor

Trainers: 38
    4 Professor Juniper
    4 N
    2 Skyla
    1 Colress
    1 Random Reciever

1 Computer Search
    4 Dark Patch
    3 Pokemon Catcher
    4 Hypnotoxic Laser
    4 Float Stone
    3 Ultra Ball
    2 Dark Claw
    2 Enhanced Hammer
    1 Super Rod
    1 Tool Scrapper
    1 Potion

Energy: 10
    10 Darkness Energy

Stadiums: 2
    2 Virbank City Gym
  8. blazechomp1

blazechomp1 Active Member

Overall your list looks a lot like mine. One thing though is that running 12 supporters/draw cards is just too low. The 3rd trubbish, although nice to have, is not necessary and should be taken out for another card to help you draw and/or setup. Other than that the list looks fine, I personally really like an energy switch because it allows you to get a faster darkrai going most games. And in a bo3 format that will be important
  9. Doubleaintx

Doubleaintx New Member

Energy switch? Rotated?
  10. Wrags23

Wrags23 Feeling... rogue.

For the ACE-SPEC, I saw someone, I think it was Dustin Zimmerman, runs Life Dew in his DarkGarb deck. What do you guys think?
  11. kbs021

kbs021 Member

I wouldn't run life dew anymore. I mean it could be good but there will be more tool scrapper now. Life dew was for the hammertime version of DarkGarb. Crushing hammer is gone and tool scrapper is used more. I don't think its better than comp search or dowsing machine. It was meant to keep junk hunting life dew over and over while you hammer energy away. Now with the new time limits its just is too slow I believe.
  12. indercarnive

indercarnive Well-Known Member

but dustin zimmerman was running hammers, 3 crushing and 2 enhanced, along with 4 sableye. it was more of a hammetime/garb that could night spear and laser.
  13. Ramie_J

Ramie_J New Member

I'm gonna choose the 70 HP "Tool Drop" Trubbish as my 2 Trubbish. Yes or no?
  14. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care

I assume you have a good reason for picking that one. I don't think you need randoms on here to approve your choice.
  15. Ramie_J

Ramie_J New Member

I don't know why, but it seems to me that Computer Search would be a better ACE-SPEC for me.. I usually Skyla on the first 1-2 turns getting it, then re-using it with Sableye. It's a very good strategy, but you use up too many cards during the process. Maybe add in an eggsecute? lol
  16. SeaLegend

SeaLegend Active Member

There's not much reason to run it without psychic energy, trubbish DRX with 70 HP is a better option IMO as you can attack with it if you absolutely need to
  17. indercarnive

indercarnive Well-Known Member

skyla for beach :)
    thats honestly why i like it in the deck, its not for late game N counters, its for skyla t1
  18. Drench

Drench Active Member

Surprised this is the new play for Darkrai. Adding Garbodor.

I feel the deck runs a lot better without Garbodor and just the typical Darkrai/Absol/Sableye deck, with Keldeo tech.
  19. kbs021

kbs021 Member

Darkrai absol sableye will never be bad but without energy switch you are going to miss some turn two night spears and speed. Not to mention your blastoise match-up is going to be bad. I just think DarkGarb has solid match-ups across the board right now. DarkGarb slows the game way down and also ensures that you will be able to use lasers against genesect virizion decks as long as garbotoxin is in play.
  20. Ramie_J

Ramie_J New Member

What should you do for the VirGen matchup? It seems like I'm doing something wrong because it keeps winning (I'd say 80-20 or 75-25) should I ignore garbodor and go straight for Darkrai?