Tier 1 Darkrai EX, Garbodor DRX

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by SeaLegend, Aug 14, 2013.

1. TylerLindsey

TylerLindsey Road to DC.

I personally would avoid Garbodor and just dedicate your resources towards setting up Darkrai. The matchup is tooth and nail, and you want to make sure you don't miss a turn Night Spearing.

It has proven a pretty even matchup for me.
  2. kbs021

kbs021 Member

I don't. I think the use of lasers in that match-up really gives you the math you need to win that game. VirGen is a tough match-up. I haven't tested enough against it to really give you a great strategy yet. VirGen is very shaky right now. Its actually not the worst deck to have a bad match-up against. I think its a toss up between who goes first and gets the better start. If they don't hit turn one emerald slash you have a chance. It may depend on their techs. Just straight turbo genesect is not a good match-up but if they have several techs like bouffalant, or driftblim you have a better match-up. It also depends how well you can use enhanced hammer and how many switch they run. One sleep flip could win you the game. All in all it depends on their deck and their start. I will keep playtesting though.
    infernaperocks and Serperior like this.
  3. Ramie_J

Ramie_J New Member

also, before playtesting, i switched out 1 Bicycle for a Skyla, so then I'd have 2 skyla's to have a better early draw of it and use it to get COmputer Search 1st turn, but I barely did that, and while playtesting, i found out that the bicycle i replaced could have been useful for a clutch turn twice. So, my question is, should I keep it as 2 Skyla to get that T1 Comp. Search with Sableye and keep junk hunting it for faster night spears against VirGen, or should I keep it a 1-1 Skyla and Bicycle line and hope for the best for tomorrow's tournament? lol :S
  4. kbs021

kbs021 Member

first of all good luck tomorrow. I have been messing with dowsing machine a bit more than computer search but computer search is a very good card in here as well. As far as bike or skyla that's gotta be your decision. Most darkgarb deck have 2 skyla in their lists. If you run multiple RR I wouldn't want 2 skyla probably. Idk there really isn't a wrong answer. I would pick whatever you feel gives you more consistency. Just don't expect to hit turn one skyla often though lol don't forget to let us know how you did!
  5. blazechomp1

blazechomp1 Active Member

I would say the best thing to do is focus on darkrai, while at the same time trying to get a garbodor up. Your best plan is to first try and stall them a turn with a catcher. If you can deny them a turn from attacking or attaching an energy, they are really hurt. So really focus on darkrai, while at the same time slowly getting a garbodor for the mid game.
    kbs021 likes this.
  6. kbs021

kbs021 Member

That sounds pretty good. It obviously isn't as important as getting a garbodor set up quick as vs blastoise or something. That extra 30 damage will come in handy really quick and you are probably going to want that damage on a genesect that is powered up with grass. I go after the genesect with energy as fast as I can. Your virbank will also disrupt their skyarrow free retreat as well.
  7. blazechomp1

blazechomp1 Active Member

see darkrai is better at getting more attackers going than genesect is, so rush them. But as your rushing with darkrai, slowly get the garbodor up so you can start getting those prizes really quickly.
  8. kbs021

kbs021 Member

Yeah absolutely. No doubt that if you go after their attackers and manipulate the great items of this deck you can stall and destroy this deck. Especially considering that every deck option for this deck is only going to slow them down vs darkrai
  9. Ramie_J

Ramie_J New Member

I've been testing with a Turbo fast VirGen deck where 80% of the time it gets those T1 Emerald Slashes, and I ALWAYS lose. Welllllll, not always, but it seems like it lol. I hope I don't come across any of those kinds of decks during my tourney.. Gotta get my rest, wish me luck![DOUBLEPOST=1377922645][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I run 1 RR for obvious Junk Hunting reasons :p however, there were times where i needed a supporter and I got a skyla instead while using it when i had 2 skyla's. Maybe I should just have a 1-of of skyla and whenever i draw it i immediately use it for comp. search or dowsing machine. i still cant decide AHGHGHGHHGHGHG ._. guess i'll just give it my last-minute instinct tomorrow, and i'll definitely tell you all what my score was :)
    kbs021 likes this.
  10. kbs021

kbs021 Member

okay good luck! RR are never a bad card with sableye lol If you have time test bikes in place of your RRs it might suit this deck better. I like dowsing because you can get back virbank in case both gets discarded( you might be instore for several stadium wars so becareful before placing your virbanks down) and you can make several cool plays by pulling resources from your discard instead of your deck. Like playing enhanced hammer then dowsing it back to play it again in the same turn! But if you feel too iffy on that comp. search will always be good. I really want you to do well! If nothing else you will get a really good feel for the current meta without it being a sanctioned tournament. I bet if you play any VirGen's they won't be running that hot! But yeah give it your best!
  11. Drench

Drench Active Member

This list feels very shaky on the Basic count. So many mulligans. This deck runs very dry. Dark/Garb won't be doing much this format.
  12. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care

The Basic count is actually very standard: 8-10 depending on the list. Compare that to typical lists for Blastoise (9-11) and Genesect (7-9). Even TDK only runs 10-12 and 4 of those are Pokemon you would rather mulligan than start with.

As for running dry, Darkrai/Garbodor uses THE best set up/starter Pokemon in the format. If anything, it's more consistent than anything else.
  13. Ramie_J

Ramie_J New Member

i'm running 9 energy, and it feels too low. should i add one more and drop down to 1 enhanced hammer? I think it's the best choice..
  14. baby_mario

10 Energy seems about right for the deck. Whether dropping a Hammer is the best way to make room for it is very questionable. Can't really answer a question like this without more information.
  15. Ramie_J

Ramie_J New Member

i could drop a bike as well, but it seems too good of a card to be dropped. i can't take any supporters/pokemon out. ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  16. baby_mario

Ok . . . calm down.

You're fretting over your list too much. All lists are compromises. You always have to leave things out you would like to include.
  17. Ramie_J

Ramie_J New Member

lol, sorry about that. It's just that its keeping me up all night.. what if I need an energy really badly while playing in the tournament, and I topdeck a supporter, then use it only to find out that I draw an enhanced hammer and no energy. And vice versa when is need an enhanced hammer. I guess I just have to go with my gut on this one..
  18. baby_mario

That's the way the game goes. You can't see the future so you build for consistency to give yourself the best chance.
  19. kbs021

kbs021 Member

I run 10 energy in my list. I feel too comfortable with 10 to drop down to 9. I wouldn't drop an enhanced hammer though.
  20. infernaperocks

infernaperocks A Proud Member Of Team Rouge!

whats your pokemon line? you may have it too thick and could drop something there for energy. Like 4 Darkrai 2 Absol 3-2 garbodor or 3 Sableye.