Tier 2 Darkrai-EX, Hydreigon DRX 97

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by Serperior, Aug 14, 2013.

1. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care

Mewtwo is rarely played these days, so I wouldn't consider that a reason to use Cresselia.

It's good against Deoxys but eh . . . I actually tried Cress in this deck last format (back when Mewtwo was being used) and it was kind of underwhelming. I think you are better off handling Plasma with Hammers and Sableye tbh.
  2. RJCarrot

RJCarrot Poke Breeder Extrodinare.

It doesn't need to be in a Vir/Gen deck. You could splash it and use prisms/blends. Which I entirely plan to do in Superfriends if GothLock comes back to town.

Edit: Thought you were talking about Virizion EX not the other guy.
  3. baby_mario

Superfriends? No idea what that is. Deck names that aren't universally known or obvious aren't much use on forums.

Goth Lock . . .

4. RJCarrot

5. Powerbite

Powerbite New Member

My list

Pokémon - 13

3 Deino DRX 93
    3 Hydreigon DRX 97
    3 Darkrai EX
    2 Sableye DRX
    1 Latias EX
    1 Sigilyph DRX

Trainers - 35

4 Professor Juniper
    4 N
    3 Skyla
    2 Bianca

3 Ultra Ball
    3 Rare Candy
    4 Dark Patch
    4 Pokemon Catcher
    3 Max Potion
    2 Silver Bangle
    2 Tool Scrapper
    1 Computer Search

Energy - 12

8 Darkness
    4 Blend GRPD

I found the biggest issue with this deck is when it's slow, not all the max potions in the world can save you.

Sigilyph: quick KOs on Deoxys, stalling

Latias EX: Good for stalling, good for the mirror as Hydreigon and Darkrai can't touch you, although thinking about dropping it as Kyurem /w Silver Bangle it a big issue

3 Skyla: Run a thinner line if trainers, helps source what I need

2 Bianca: In play testing this card helped me out alot, still on the fence about them though

3 Max Potion: I had 4 but constantly had them in hand with no use, but 2 is too little

2 Silver Bangle: 1 I could never get it when I needed, 2 there is always enough. Also KO Genesect

2 Tool Scrapper: Same reason as above, Kyurem can dominate this deck so getting rid of those Silver Bangles slows it down a little. Also Garbodor, need I say more?

---

Absol: Used this up until about a week ago but decided to drop it due to using it to attack 1/15 games

Reshiram EX: When I played this last season as a tech it work well, Darkrai does 30 then 150 to KO EXs, play testing this season however it was next to useless

Virizion EX: In the play testing iv done Lazer isn't used enough to justify this - Latias laughs at Keldo/Blastoise

3 Deino: I'd like a 4th but struggling to find room

3 Ultra Ball: Same as above

No Level Ball or Zweilous: 1 Level Ball never seemed useful enough and 1/10 games I used Zweilous - overshadowed by
    Skyla

All advise/criticism welcome
  6. MetalArmedAngel

MetalArmedAngel My lovely Luka ♥♥

^^ Yes Latias laughs at Keldeo Blastoise until Black Kyurem comes up
  7. Powerbite

Powerbite New Member

Yeah thats where Sigilyph comes in, sometimes >___>
  8. indercarnive

indercarnive Well-Known Member

and thats when catcher gets played
  9. Powerbite

Powerbite New Member

Yeah hence the sometimes aha
  10. indercarnive

indercarnive Well-Known Member

besides latias is 3 shotting everything. maybe if it could do 90 damage i'd reconsider it but with catcher in format doing 70 isnt enough when i can do 170 with a hydreigon.
  11. Powerbite

Powerbite New Member

Yeah another reason why im considering dropping it, its not really there for the attack however just the trying to buy a turn side of things. But on the flip side of that its useless if they have a catcher in their hand
  12. Cartoon_Eric

Cartoon_Eric Member

I always did like Giratina EX in this deck. =)
  13. Cartoon_Eric

Cartoon_Eric Member

I'll just be quiet now.
  14. baby_mario

Don't be so easily put off by people who most likely don't know any more than you do.

Giratina really isn't that bad in this deck.
  15. Gelatin

Gelatin So soft and jiggly.

There are certainly worse cards to tech in.

Shred is still a solid attack, if not costly.
  16. TylerLindsey

TylerLindsey Road to DC.

And 130 damage is a good number in a world where Kyurem is king. Not to mention the possible gravy of milling Darkness Energy with the attack, although that's probably a little too cute.
    blazechomp1 likes this.
  17. RJCarrot

I seriously didn't know if he was kidding or not, it just seems like Darkrai would just be better in all cases. I have honestly never even heard of this in the deck before and it just seems a bit slow for what Darkrai is trying to do.
  18. TylerLindsey

TylerLindsey Road to DC.

Once your deck sets up, and Hydreigon allows all of your Energy to be transferred among your Pokemon at will, the game changes; it is less about 'speed', and more so about how many Energy you have on the table. While I can agree Darkrai will be better in most scenarios, 130 is a great number to have easy access to right now (not to mention the OHKOs on Black Kyurem EX), so a one-of Giratina EX actually isn't as crazy as it might sound; just drop it on the bench, free retreat it to active position, move all the Energy to it, and go to town.
  19. RJCarrot

Makes more sense now. I have still not gotten used to the idea of Hydreigon and keep thinking of old Darkrai (which I would think it would be a terrible card in) but I guess it isn't that bad (also forgot about the dragon type). Thanks for explaining it to me.
  20. MVTK

MVTK Tech M9me

So this deck had a showing of one in the K-Open Top 8, anyone have any idea of what got it through to the Top Cut? Definitely my deck of choice right now going into this Format.