Tier 2 Darkrai-EX, Hydreigon DRX 97

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by Serperior, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Powerbite

Powerbite New Member

I very much like this as a one off tech, going to have to test it out
  2. dimmysteez

dimmysteez Skyla's kinda hot

I'm a little unsure on the ruling for Dark Trance. Does Blend/Prism count as Darkness Energy in this case or no? And lets say you have a Blend/Prism attached with a Virizion in play, does Blend/Prism count for BOTH Dark Trance AND Verdant Wind?
  3. Serperior

Serperior Well-Known Member

Yeah they do while attached to a Pokemon or Basic for Prism.

Yep
  4. SamSoldier

SamSoldier Don't know what to put here D:

Anyone has a list for the new rules?
  5. SoldiersSpirit

SoldiersSpirit I will defend my Kingdom.

I doubt there's a definitive one as of right now because we have no testing/results for the new rules/format with this deck as of yet. I tell you one thing, this deck likes Beach :)
  6. Diegomaxxx

Diegomaxxx New Member

I don't think this deck is going to be very good if blastoise and garbodor raise in popularity. Also with the catcher errata, the format probably will be focus on 1hko, wich obviously hurts this deck.

The good think is that is much difficult for your opponent to catcher and kill your hydras
  7. Asclepius24

Asclepius24 Member

I played this list at a League Challenge today with minimal luck and I was hoping you all could give me some pointers. Until today, I hadn't played competitively since the WOTC era and decided to pick things back up with something that looked fun and relatively competitive. My card library is small - I essentially just bought the deck - but I'm not entirely opposed to making a couple more reasonable acquisitions.

Pokemon - 11
    3 Darkrai EX
    3 Deino (LTR 97)
    3 Hydreigon (LTR 99)
    2 Sableye (DEX 62)

Trainers - 37
    4 Professor Juniper
    4 N
    3 Skyla
    2 Colress

4 Dark Patch
    3 Rare Candy
    3 Max Potion
    3 Ultra Ball
    3 Pokemon Catcher
    2 Dark Claw
    2 Silver Bangle
    2 Tool Scrapper
    1 Enhanced Hammer
    1 Dowsing Machine

Energy - 12
    8 Darkness Energy
    4 Blend Energy GRPD

I went 0-1-1 against Empire (one was my first game in about 10 years and I made several misplays that I will choose to attribute to nerves), tied a Plasma, lost to Blastoise and beat a Klinklang/Cobalion EX to end with an unimpressive 1-2-2 on the day. I felt like I was slow to set up, even with a significant number of Supporters, and often found myself unable to Dark Patch early because of no energy in my discard. I'm considering a couple of things:

+2-0-2 Dusknoir - This thing gave me headaches twice, and if I'm already running Rare Candy (would increase to 4) it might not be a bad idea to manipulate Dark Spear damage for KOs. Plays well with Dragon Blast for 140 as well. I would drop Catchers for this as I got three heads all day and almost ragequit a couple times because of it.

+1 Enhanced Hammer - Going to 2 with Dowsing Machine and Sableye would turn Plasma into a great matchup.

+1 Darkrai and/or Sableye - Would either of these help me with consistency at all? I didn't find Sableye terribly useful, but might if I...

+1 Tropius - I had no answer for Blastoise; he benched me with a loaded Keldeo.

+3 Deino PFR 75/76 - Deino's paralysis helped me stall in a match today, but I wonder if a Darkness-type Deino would help give me another target for Dark Patch?

+1 Keldeo EX/Virizion EX - Darkness Energy is a pseudo-Float Stone with Darkrai in play. Either would protect me from status that I didn't see much of today.

+1 Victini EX/Entei EX - Klinklang is the devil.

I wouldn't do all of these at once, obviously, but they're all different things I've thought about in some combination, roughly in the order I'm inclined to try them. I'd have to obtain any of those EXes, but none would be prohibitive except maybe Virizion EX. Does anyone have any feedback for my list? This will mostly be for League play, maybe a City Championship here or there. I also have extra cards for a Darkrai/Garbodor/HTL which would probably be more competitive (would've helped today!) but seems so much less fun to play.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  8. Rogue_Master24

Rogue_Master24 Porygon-Z enthusiast

Welcome back to Pokemon! :)

Darkrai EX/Hydreigon is such a great deck as it is so versatile! Depending on your Metagame you can run different attackers that help you with that specific matchup.
    Here is a list of attackers that are good for certain matchups:

-Cresselia EX (Mewtwo EX/Deoxys EX)
    -Entei EX (Virizion EX/Genesect EX)
    -Sigilyph (All EX's except Latias EX/Cobalion EX)
    -Tropius (Keldeo EX)

Here is a list of supporting cards that help the deck:

-Mr. Mime (Darkrai EX/Kyurem/Landorus EX/Genesect EX)
    -Spiritomb (G Booster and others, but mainly G Booster)
    -Virizion EX (Status Conditions)
    -Keldeo EX (Status Conditions)
    -Dusknoir (Sinister hand is such a great ability)

Between Virizion EX and Keldeo EX*, I'd probably play Virizion as it prevents lasers, Keldeo EX stops the poison, but you already have 10-30 damage on you.

*If your Metagame is filled with Enhanced Hammers and I mean <60%, I'd play Keldeo EX as it doesn't need Blend Energies*

Here is my list fitted for my Meta:

Pokémon 16:

2 Deino DRX
    1 Zweilous DRX
    2 Hydreigon DRX 97
    2 Darkrai EX
    2 Sableye
    1 Cresselia EX
    1 Duskull
    1 Dusknoir
    1 Entei EX
    1 Mr. Mime
    1 Spiritomb
    1 Virizion EX

Trainers 33:

4 Professor Juniper
    4 N
    2 Skyla
    2 Colress

4 Max Potion
    4 Dark Patch
    3 Rare Candy
    3 Ultra Ball
    2 Random Receiver
    1 Level Ball
    1 Silver Bangle
    1 Super Rod
    1 Tool Scrapper
    1 Dowsing Machine

Energy 11:

7 Darkness Energy
    4 GFPD Blend Energy

A thinner line of Hydreigon to fit a 1-0-1 line of Dusknoir is really good. With Dowsing Machine and Ultra Balls you can discard the Pokemon you don't need in that matchup. If my meta had a lot of Blastoise, I'd find room for a Sigilyph.

Good luck with building your Darkrai/Hydreigon Deck! :)
  9. Asclepius24

Asclepius24 Member

Sigilyph is interesting, and Latias EX would've been very helpful to have against those Empoleons. I also hadn't looked at Entei EX as a higher-HP alternative to Victini EX.

I felt like my deck was inconsistent today, and while it might have just been a small sample size I would really worry that something would be prized with so many one-off cards. When I was playing Blastoise, for instance, two of my Darkrai were prized and I was totally helpless once the first one fell. Have you found that to be a problem with such a teched-out deck?

I think once I get a better feel of the meta where I play I might try a couple things... in the meantime, are there a couple that are generally more helpful than others? Is a 3-3 Hydreigon with a 2-2 Dusknoir stupid or worth trying?
  10. djf123

djf123 Basically Lance Armstrong..

Here's my Darkrai/Hydreigon deck.

Pokemon - 16

3 x Darkrai EX
    2 x Deino DRX 93
    1 x Deino PLF
    1 x Zweilous DRX 96
    3 x Hydreigon DRX 97
    2 x Sableye DEX
    1 x Mr. Mime PLF
    1 x Keldeo EX
    1 x Genesect EX
    1 x Lugia EX

Trainer -29

4 x Professor Juniper
    4 x N
    2 x Colress
    1 x Skyla

4 x Dark Patch
    4 x Ultra Ball
    3 x Rare Candy
    3 x Max Potion
    1 x Tool Scrapper
    1 x Bicycle
    1 x Super Rod
    1 x Dowsing Machine

Energy - 15

7 x Dark Energy
    4 x Blend GFPD
    4 x Plasma Energy

I have tested this list for awhile and it has run veryyy well in testing. (Unfortunately I work so much I haven't been able to test it at any tournaments.) The strategy is the same as any Darkrai/Hydreigon deck. Tank hits through max potion and put your most efficient attacker forward. What I really like about it is my ability to Red Signal for the 100% catcher effect. I also decided to splash Lugia EX into the deck because I felt like I need another option for Plasma Energy. Being able to Dark Trance the energy to a Lugia EX, take your extra prize, then (hopefully) throw it back onto the bench and set up more KO's with Darkrai EX. Genesect EX is also a good attacker, especially against Keldeo EX.

@Asclepius24 In regards to your list and the inclusion of Dusknoir...

I personally would run alternate attackers instead of Dark Claw, being able to put up and attacker to hit for weakness is what helps this deck win games. (or any deck for that matter) I do like Silver Bangle in this deck, but I would only run it as a 1 of. If you are having issues with Keldeo EX, add Genesect EX. I prefer Keldeo EX over Virizion EX entirely because I do NOT need a Blend energy in play for it's ability to be useful. As for Dusknoir, I have tested it quite a bit in Hydreigon and I really loved it. The Hydreigon/Dusknoir/Rare Candy line I used was 3-1-3 Hydreigon, 2-0-2 Dusknoir, and 4 Rare Candy.

Hopefully this has helped a little bit. :)
  11. Asclepius24

Asclepius24 Member

That deck looks very fun to play. I love the ability to drop Lugia EX and take as many as three prizes unexpectedly, especially if they're anticipating surviving 90 from a Night Spear when the hit for 120 comes, especially since Electric isn't huge right now and with a couple of Enhanced Hammers the deck should be able to handle Plasma anyway. What level of competition have you been able to test it against? I'm also running into the time limitations of real life...

I do agree that Keldeo EX would be hugely helpful in the Dusknoir versioin since it takes less setup in order to get out of status. I think I'm less of a fan of Zweilous than you are, though :) Is the 2/1 split on Deino actually helpful?
  12. SoldiersSpirit

SoldiersSpirit I will defend my Kingdom.

It is, funny enough I have the same split. When I started playing the deck I found myself in some situations where sableye was active turn 1-2 and I didn't have a darkrai or sableye on the bench AND I had dark in the discard. Dark patch would be great but guess what, effin dragon type lol.
    djf123 likes this.
  13. Yankeefan1985

Yankeefan1985 Member

14. djf123

djf123 Basically Lance Armstrong..

I really do think it is helpful, for the exact reason @SoldiersSpirit stated above.

As far as the competition goes for testing, it ranges from experienced (consistently doing well in states/regionals) to just your average player.. With more time spent testing against experienced players.
    Thanks for testing it out! :) Oddly enough, that never seems to be an issue for me. I personally think that increasing your rare candy count would help your odds of getting the Hydreigon. Going to 2 Skyla would definitely help, it's just that I am not that big of a fan of Skyla in any Darkrai build.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  15. Yankeefan1985

Yankeefan1985 Member

IDK I liked the list alot played 5 games and only one did I get a Hydreigon out at turn three. Others I just never got out in time to do much. That said I did like the deck alot gonna still do some testing :)
  16. operator64

operator64 New Member

What about playing Lasers in this Deck?

Here is my list that I'm actually testing online:

Pokemon:
    2 Darkrai EX
    2 Sableye
    2-1-2 Hydreigon
    1 Tropius
    1 Mewtwo
    1 Mr. Mime
    1 Sigilyph
    1 Keldeo EX

Trainer:
    4 Professor Juniper
    4 N
    2 Skyla
    3 Dak Patch
    3 Ultra Ball
    3 Max Potion
    3 Rare Candy
    3 Hypnotoxic Laser
    2 Virbank City Gym
    2 Silver Bangle
    1 Enhanced Hammer
    1 Level Ball
    1 Random Receiver
    1 Super Rod
    1 Tool Scrapper
    1 Computer Search

Energy
    7 Dark
    4 Blend
  17. Hydr8

Hydr8 Diggersby tho

Would it not be better for this deck to run Tropical Beach over Virbank?
  18. BobTheFlub

BobTheFlub New Member

Was thinking about rebuilding this for Cities this year, what do people think about Dusknoir in the deck? Can use Hydreigon's rare candies, and could technically be a replacement for Catchers. Just has the issues of setting it up and keeping it alive.
  19. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

I haven't played this deck much so I can't be for sure, but I really do like Dusknoir, and as a 1-1 it could have potential for greatness. But it could also just be too clunky, since the deck tends to run a good number of "random" pokemon as well.

@Hydr8 Not if your running 3 Lasers. Could be good as a 1 of if your also running Skylas.

Wait a second. Virizion can use Emerald Slash to search for Grass Blends, can't it? Not that you would WANT to use Emerald Slash, but that's still interesting, since that means starting only Virizion wouldn't be the end of the world, since your essentially getting 4+ energies out in 3 turns (I say + because hand attach on 3rd/dark patches). Thinking about it, that could be really amazing for getting multiple Darkrais powered up really fast.....
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  20. MetalArmedAngel

MetalArmedAngel My lovely Luka ♥♥

If you look closely at all the special energy printed in the BW era and XY1 (excluding dce) the text says "XXX energy provides 1 colorless energy. WHEN XXX ENERGY IS ATTACHED TO A (basic for prism) POKEMON, XXX ENERGY PROVIDES YYY ENERGY.