Tier 2 Darkrai-EX, Hydreigon DRX 97

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by Serperior, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

Thanks for ruining my dreams.

But really thanks for telling me before I wasted 3 hours playtesting this.
  2. pokemonguy

pokemonguy Making Bad Last-Minute Changes Since Nats 2014

I did that with Blastoise/Keldeo when I thought deluge could attach blends to BKEX.
  3. Professor_N

Wow, I just played with this list (Give or take a few cards) and I must say, I really like the Lugia EX/Genesect EX additions to this deck. I won the game by taking 3 prizes on a Virizion with 120 on it followed by a Genesect with 120 on it the very next turn. Lugia can work wonders...
  4. Professor_N

I'm not questioning how amazing Virizion EX is in this deck, but wouldn't Keldeo EX kind of serve the same purpose in cleansing special conditions? I wouldn't block the initial damage from a Poison, but it can sure clear someone of Sleep/Paralysis.

Reason I ask is cause I don't know if I can manage getting a Virizion EX by this weekend.

EDIT: Ok I thought about it and it could completely screw you over to not have a Virizion in the early game before you can switch energy some times. Keldeo is good because you can rush in, retreat, and then move the darkness to someone else, and you can't move the energy if you don't have any Hydreigons.
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  5. pokemonguy

pokemonguy Making Bad Last-Minute Changes Since Nats 2014

If you can't get a Virizion EX then go for Keldeo. In @thematteo0 's new article he mentions that you can use Keldeo EX instead of Virizion EX.
  6. Yankeefan1985

Yankeefan1985 Member

Is a could Ghetsis a god idea to help stop the hammer decks?
  7. MetalArmedAngel

MetalArmedAngel My lovely Luka ♥♥

Hammer isn't a problem (unless paired with Garb). You can just junk hunt spam dark patches and save your blends
  8. Diegomaxxx

Diegomaxxx New Member

how do you guys beat blastoise or emboar?, I loose every time I play against those. Or you just take the autoloss and tech for other machups?
  9. Professor_N

Teching a Frozen City could probably help if you can manage it.
  10. SoldiersSpirit

SoldiersSpirit I will defend my Kingdom.

Put in a 1-0-1 line of dusknoir and drop your hydreigon count if it's nearly maxed out or a 1-1-1 line of dusknoir. Helps a ton...
  11. Casca37

Casca37 The Swarm

Is Latias EX playable in this?
  12. blargh257

blargh257 Is now Dedede.

Sure, but it doesn't help your poor matchups. Terrakion hits through it, as does Black Kyurem EX. I can't think of any matchups that you don't cover already that it hits.
  13. Casca37

Casca37 The Swarm

Hey fellas.

I went out a bought a bunch of stuff to build this over the weekend, but I'm not quite sure about my list yet. It would be really great if anyone who has played the deck in the current format could give me some advice.

Here is my current list

18 Pokemon
    3 Darkrai EX
    2 Sableye
    1 Spiritomb
    3 Deino
    3 Hydreigon
    2 Duskull
    2 Dusknoir
    1 Virizion EX
    1 Sigilyph (Safeguard)

13 Supporters
    4 Juniper
    4 N
    3 Skyla
    2 Colress

18 Items
    4 Dark Patch
    3 Max Potion
    2 Ultra Ball
    1 Level Ball
    1 Heavy Ball
    4 Rare Candy
    1 Silver Bangle
    1 Tool Scrapper
    1 Dowsing Machine ACESPEC

1 Stadium (Tropical Beach)

6 Dark
    4 GFPD

SO..... This thing is really, really tight on space, but here's what I want to add:

Another tool scrapper
    1 Super Rod
    Giratina EX (Blastoise and Rayboar are pretty big in my area)
    Another Tropical Beach

What to do?
  14. Asclepius24

Asclepius24 Member

I think you can afford to drop a Skyla; I find that I'd much rather draw on most turns than search for something. I'd also go with all Ultra Ball over Level/Heavy since you want to get your (very low number of) Darkness Energy into the discard pile to Patch. Finding four slots will be tough with that list, though. What are you struggling against or finding to be particularly easy matchups? What does your meta look like?
  15. Professor_N

Dusknoir is really tough to run in this deck cause of tight space. I recommend thinning the line to 1-1 and maybe add a Town Map in case they are prized at all. I would probably scrap the Level and Heavy for 2 Ultra. I personally ran 1 Skyla and Receivers in my list, but since you run Beach I think 3 Skyla should be ok.

And not that it matters, but since I'm a little OCD I have to say it, it's officially called Blend GRPD since F stands for Fighting.
  16. Casca37

Casca37 The Swarm

@Asclepius24 My meta is really heavy on VirGen and Yeti. Are there any good techs (other than spiritomb) that help out? And I'll try dropping a level ball for another ultra.

@JGames Sorry about the energy :p And really? Just 1 Skyla makes me pretty nervous, but I guess if it works for you then that's cool. I tried a 1-1 Dusknoir, but it proved to really be a hassle trying to search them out, and then I would set it up too late to really make a difference.
  17. Mr_Rumpleteezer

Mr_Rumpleteezer Hovercat Mod

If you're heavy on V/G in your meta, keep in the Spiritomb and add two Silver Bangle. I think you should be running that anyway, but that will almost certainly win you the matchup every time.
  18. SoldiersSpirit

SoldiersSpirit I will defend my Kingdom.

I'd drop the heavy ball for another Ultra ball honestly. If you want to put something else in take out a rare candy, 3 is plenty with junk hunt.
  19. Asclepius24

Asclepius24 Member

Sableye and 2x Enhanced Hammer can stop Plasma/Yeti pretty well, but that's ANOTHER two spots in your list. If you're finding you're doing ok on the search with Ultra/Level/Heavy Ball, maybe condense all of that to 3x Ultra Ball? Then going lighter on the Skyla can free up another spot (or two, but I'd feel uncomfortable with just one) from your original list. I also think that Scrapper is very important, and the second can catch opponents by surprise.

How helpful do you find Beach in this? I run mine without a Stadium, and if there's just the one I wonder about your ability to consistently get it up T1. Add in that Darkrai would usually prefer Junk Hunting to end anything other than T1 and that might be another spot you could utilize in another way.

Do you have a problem getting Darkness into the discard with only six in your deck? Even my 7/8 feels light a lot of the time early game. I find myself relying on Patch more heavily when I'm attacking with Hydreigon mid/late-game, which I do believe is a huge part of this deck.
  20. Casca37

Casca37 The Swarm

Yeah I'd love to fit some hammers in, but there's really no way to do it. And I dropped the level and heavy balls for just 3 ultra. It's been fine so far. As for the Beach, I personally think it's great to play down as many cards as you can and then replenish your hand, but you'd definitely be ok without it if you are smart/careful. I actually added another, but I don't think that it is a necessity.

The energy count has been fine so far, but I think that an e-search would be nice to have.

@Mr_Rumpleteezer Yeah bangles are amazing in that match, but I'm really struggling for space, so I think that the one bangle+Spiritomb will have to do for now.

After everyone's suggestions, here's my new list

3-3 Hydreigon
    2-2 Dusknoir
    3 Darkrai
    2 Sableye
    1 Sigilyph
    1 Virizion
    1 Spiritomb

4 Juniper
    4 N
    3 Skyla (I couldn't bring myself to drop it to two)
    2 Colress

4 Dark Patch
    4 Rare Candy
    3 Ultra Ball
    3 Max Potion
    1 Silver Bangle
    2 Tool Scrapper

2 Beach

6 Dark
    4 GRPD Blend

Thanks for all of you feedback guys, I appreciate it!