Tier 2 Darkrai-EX, Hydreigon DRX 97

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by Serperior, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Asclepius24

Asclepius24 Member

No ACE SPEC? At least drop an Ultra Ball for Computer Search if you really don't feel the need for a Dowsing Machine.
  2. Casca37

Casca37 The Swarm

I honestly have been okay without one, but I'll probably drop Skyla for dowsing
  3. I've been playing Entei EX in my list to help deal with Vir/Gen. I like it more than Victini as a tech. It requires an extra blend to 1 shot Vir and Gen but that can be moved easily with Hydreigon. 180hp lets it take a hit or two before you Max Potion it. I found that Victini would get sniped far too often. Also you don't have to be tempted to run Victory-Piece as an Ace Spec if you run Entei.
  4. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

Entei is definitely really good in this deck if VirGen is the match up you expect to face the most. I personally would run one even if I didn't expect to see it too much and only expected a few at the tournament I was going to because it can easily win the match for you.
  5. Asclepius24

Asclepius24 Member

Any advice for dealing with Empoleon/Dusknoir? That thing has been giving me nightmares. Leafeon keeps me from putting too much energy on the board, Mime blocks Night Spear snipe, and then they stream attackers that I have to Dragon Blast but I don't have the energy to keep up.

Is Latias EX all there is or am I missing something?
  6. Professor_N

What Pokemon lines are you running? Standard stuff like Hydreigon, Darkrai, Sableye, and Virizion?

Honestly I feel like Dragon Blast is the best option you have for quickly dealing with Empoleons. If you can keep 4 Energy on the table at all times, you should be good. You could probably just play Latias and try to keep your energy at 3 (On Latias) so then you aren't pressured by Leafeon and you can easily take out the Empoleons.
  7. Asclepius24

Asclepius24 Member

This is the list I was playing around with at League today, following a suggestion in this thread:

Pokemon - 13
    3 Darkrai EX
    3 Deino
    3 Hydreigon
    2 Sableye
    1 Lugia EX
    1 Genesect EX

Trainers - 32
    4 Professor Juniper
    4 N
    2 Skyla
    2 Colress
    4 Dark Patch
    4 Ultra Ball
    3 Rare Candy
    3 Max Potion
    2 Enhanced Hammer
    2 Tool Scrapper
    1 Silver Bangle
    1 Dowsing Machine

Energy - 15
    7 Darkness Energy
    4 Blend GRPD
    4 Plasma Energy

I actually REALLY love Genesect EX in this. I dropped my 4 Catchers, a Sableye, and a Sigilyph for the whole Plasma deal. Genesect EX replaces Catchers, which people don't really prepare for as much, and Lugia EX is excellent late game when you can drop it and a Plasma, Dark Trance a few energy over and take your last two/three prizes at once. I'm looking at possibly adding a Virizion EX for Lasers, an Entei EX for VirGen, and Latias EX for Empoleon - obviously not all three, but I don't own any of them so I'm open to suggestions.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  8. PellOfTheTundra

PellOfTheTundra Do you even LT-87

Knew I wasn't the only one, knew I wasn't crazy.

>going back to Hydrai+Genesect~

In all honesty though, I like these techs.

BTW don't add that other stuff. You've really no need for more techs, and no room either.
  9. Professor_N

Since you are running Lugai you could go with just spread some damage on Empoleons with Darkrai (Red Signal Mime) and finish them off for extra Prizes with Lugia when you can. Or just Dragon Blast.
  10. Asclepius24

Asclepius24 Member

Yeah... first game I drew dead, second I won, third I had to drop Genesect EX early and he forced it up with an Escape Rope and got it with Sinister Hand/Empoleon before Mime showed up.

Any thoughts on the list in general?
  11. Professor_N

Not really. I like it, pretty sure I used the same list give or take a few when I played this variant.
  12. Professor_N

Pokemon – 15

2 Deino LTR

1 Dark Deino

3 Hydreigon LTR

3 Darkrai EX

2 Mewtwo EX

1 Virizion EX

3 Sableye DEX

Trainers – 33

4 Juniper

4 N

3 Skyla

2 Colress

3 Rare Candy

4 Dark Patch

3 HTL

3 Ultra Ball

1 Level Ball

2 Tool Scrapper

1 Dowsing Machine

2 Virbank City Gym

Energy – 12

4 Blend GRPD

6 Darkness

2 DCE

I feel like this deck would be really cool in pre-XY, but would be ultimately inferior to Yveltal EX. This would be what Yveltal EX will be in my eyes, with the Mewtwo in here that you can just move energy onto whenever you want to. I only have 2 DCE because the list was a little tight for space and I found it hard to find room for enough basic Darkness to feel comfortable in a DarkGarb match.
  13. Asclepius24

Asclepius24 Member

Yeah, I've been thinking about how Yveltal (mini and EX) will fit in here once XY is released and once the next rotation happens. I think I might cut a Sableye and a Darkrai EX for two Yveltal EX and see how that runs, but I don't know how to squeeze the two Muscle Band that I want into my list...
  14. Professor_N

Well I'm assuming you run the energy lines of something like 4 Blend and 8 or so Darkness, so maybe you could cut out 1 Darkness and perhaps a card like an HTL if you run 4. It's honestly the same as running Dark Claw in this before, just it's a different name and can affect your Hydreigon.
    HighShroomish likes this.
  15. Reshiphlosion

Reshiphlosion The Swarm

So I've been trying out three different Darkrai decks this past week as that's what I'm aiming to play for States/Regs. I would like to get some advice on my Darkrai/Hydreigon list as that is one of the lists I'm leaning towards playing on week 1 of states (that or Garbodor anyways) so here's my list.

Pokemon: 15

3 Deino DRX 93
    3 Hydreigon DRX 97
    3 Darkrai EX
    3 Sableye
    2 Yveltal EX
    1 Virizion EX

Trainers: 33

4 N
    4 Juniper
    3 Skyla
    2 Colress

4 Dark Patch
    3 Ultra Ball
    3 Rare Candy
    2 Muscle Band
    2 Catcher
    2 Max Potion
    2 Tool Scrapper
    1 Level Ball
    1 Dowsing Machine

Energy: 12

8 Darkness
    4 Blend

So I decided not to run any HTL in here as the list is already a little tight and I have a fear of Virizion EX. I also included some Max Potion because I like to undo damage done to my guys, but I'm not sure if it's that useful in this deck anymore. Also I'm not sure if I should use Dowsing Machine or Computer Search here, but I decided to go with Dowsing Machine for now. I would also possibly like to run Mini Yveltal/sigilyph or Shadow Circle, but I'm not sure what to drop for them or if they're even needed in this version of Darkrai...

Any advice, comments, or concerns are very welcome. I won a couple of games with this list online, but I definitely need to do more testing with this list... :p
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  16. A7XEric

A7XEric Member

Hey guys I'm just getting back into the game and am reworking my old build of this for the new format. I haven't seen many people play keldeo anymore and am wondering why the switch to virizion?

I've tended to favor keldeo more just because there are typically no switch cards to deal with stuff like Snorlax, and also rush in can help with having that "2nd switch" you need to get your dark patch target on the bench. I'm open to using Virizion, but I guess I just need to be caught up on the format and why it's better than Keldeo.
  17. Professor_N

Mostly because Virizion blocks conditions all together. You mentioned Keldeo because there are typically no Switch cards to deal with stuff like Snorlax, but I think you forget that once you Rush In with Keldeo, Keldeo can't retreat either, so you potentially put yourself into an even worse spot since Keldeo won't be doing that much damage.
  18. isaiah1989

isaiah1989 Active Member

im thinking about running BLEND with rainbow energy with one terakion an terakion EX , 2 Yvelta EX, 3 Darkrai EX , 1 Virizion EX , and Entei EX
  19. Asclepius24

Asclepius24 Member

I think Entei EX is a great way to deal with VirGen, especially if you're running more variable energy than just Blend. I worry that DCE abuse by Yveltal EX and Lugia EX, along with the prevalence of Prism/Rainbow in Fairy Transfer decks will bring back heavy EHammer use, though.

I've been thinking about Hydreigon in the new format and can't really figure out if it's worth using over Fairy Transfer. On one hand it's much nicer to be able to move Darkness Energy around for Yveltal/Darkrai and I LOVE having Hydreigon as an attacker. On the other, it's slower than a Stage 1, takes up more room, and lacks the variety of Fairybox. Here's a list I've been theorymoning:

Pokemon - 13
    3 Deino
    3 Hydreigon
    2 Yveltal EX
    2 Darkrai EX
    2 Yveltal
    1 Sableye

Trainers - 36
    4 Professor Juniper
    4 N
    2 Skyla
    2 Colress

4 Dark Patch
    4 Hypnotoxic Laser
    3 Ultra Ball
    3 Rare Candy
    3 Max Potion
    3 Muscle Band
    2 Virbank City Gym
    1 Tool Scrapper
    1 Dowsing Machine

Energy - 11
    7 Darkness Energy
    4 Blend GRPD

Hydreigon + Laserbank is a OHKO on 170 HP EXes (including Yveltal EX), and its attack also removes energy which can help it survive a return shot from another Yveltal EX. Mini-Yveltal could help mid-game recovery and with prize trade; Sableye sticks around because while Junk Hunt is no longer a focus it can help in a pinch.

I wonder if the energy count is too low, and if Yveltal EX will be as effective without DCE. Would this kind of deck benefit from Rainbow Energy (either in place of or in addition to Blend) to splash in another type or two? Dropping Darkness too much further hurts Patch and speed which is already this deck's major weakness imo.
  20. Reshiphlosion

Reshiphlosion The Swarm

Ehh, call me old school but I think that Enhanced Hammer and Sigilyph can fix a lot of problems that this deck has with VirGen and Lugia decks. Especially since Power Band is a thing now so Sigilyph can score 2hko's easier, not to mention that you wont have to use rainbow energy which would be a plus in an enhanced hammer format.

Just my thoughts of course, Fairy type decks definitely give Hydreigon a run for his money though...