Tier 1 Darkrai-EX/Hypnotoxic Laser (includes versions with Absol PLF and/or Keldeo-EX)

Discussion in 'BLW-on Archives' started by thematteo0, Feb 11, 2013.

1. pokemonguy

pokemonguy Making Bad Last-Minute Changes Since Nats 2014

pho IMO Enhanced Hammer will help with the TDK match-up so I'd keep oth of them and don't worry about 2 Bianca. I'd keep 2 Skyla and leave out Colress and a Random Receiver. And as Sableye is your starter maintain Ultra Ball and not bump him up to 3, a Tool Scrapper is always useful but don't take out a Darkai EX for it.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2013
  2. indercarnive

indercarnive Well-Known Member

12 supporters? and 4 of them is skyla? darkrai needs more draw power.
    coolestman22 likes this.
  3. pho

pho Active Member

I've been away for a while, give me a break. :p
    Also, "Skyla is not good, but it gets you a T2 night spear." What?

Anyway, -2 Skyla, +2 Bianca? Or add more supporters and take out some items?
  4. pkmn

pkmn that's when I won nats

go for straight draw. seriously, go for straight draw only. skyla is not darkrai style. take this advice from a long time darkrai player :D
  5. blazechomp1

blazechomp1 Active Member

Your saying that just because it helps you get a t2 night spear, it somehow is still not good. If you get a t2 night spear without dark claw and without laserbank, you hit for 90 and 30. Then next turn you hit again for 90 and 30. Now if you add all that up you have a total of 240 damage down in two turns. Now it is spread out, but the amount of pressure you are putting on is a lot. Now if we look at a t3 night spear with laserbank and dark claw you do a total of 140 and 30. This turns out to 170 damage. Based off of this info, I would much rather have a t2 night spear without dark claw and laserbank, instead of a t3 darkrai with the extra tools. So based off this info, Skyla is good in Darkrai because, as you said, does help get a t2 night spear. (It doesn't assure it, but it helps a lot.)[DOUBLEPOST=1372424548][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Skyla is TOTALLY Darkrai style. When you run 12 draw supporters you aren't going to be drawing well because you can only play one supporter a turn. Thus, if your looking for a catcher, or laser, or enhanced hammer, or dark patch, or any other cards, I would rather use Skyla to get those specific cards. Now you only want to run 1, maybe 2, but they do help a lot. Take this from someone who has played Darkrai for every tournament since last years nationals (2012).
  6. pkmn

But if you were to test a lot, not using Skyla and just focusing on draw and consistency nets you A LOT more than using Skyla to T2 Night Spear. Most of the time you would need 1-2 cards to complete the combo. If you were to run a heavier skyla line that would mean roughly 35% of the time you would hit the T2 night spear whereas running more E. Switch and Dark patch with lots of draw can assure you a better turn 2 than skyla can give. Darkrai is about speed, it does not need Skyla. I've ran 2, it's just plain dead.
    Ziggmiceter likes this.
  7. MetalArmedAngel

MetalArmedAngel My lovely Luka ♥♥

Then why do you run it if you think it is dead o_O
    Honestly, I think that Skyla is a 1-2 of in Darkrai. Mid-late game you want to be searching out lasers, catchers, etc for those KO's, and I would rather play a Skyla then Dump my hand with Juniper/Give my opp a fresh hand with N/ etc.
  8. Ziggmiceter

Ziggmiceter Ultimate 6P tournament procrastinator

Weighing in my 2 cents, I'd much rather use a Juniper, Colress, or N midgame than Skyla. It's a 1-of max
    pkmn and AGGarchomp like this.
  9. blazechomp1

That is all you need in the deck; its just a one of. It helps sooo many times when, instead of banking on drawing from a draw supporter, you are assured the catcher, the laser, the dark patch, the any card u need. What I have found in my hours and hours of testing is that the one-of skyla is so clutch. Idk how much more I can say, but you NEED at least one skyla. Its so clutch.
  10. pkmn

There's this thing called testing?

But what if u were to use a more consistent version with catchers and patches maxed out, why would you even want/need skyla? Junipers pretty much assure you the card and, most of the time, extra ones that you can use in case your darkrai gets killed. Not to mention, if you get stuck with Skyla as your only supporter, you will make little progress and you will be set behind a lot until you topdeck a juniper. Even Skyla for Supporters aren't worth it.
  11. pokemonguy

pokemonguy Making Bad Last-Minute Changes Since Nats 2014

@galledeava 3 Darkrai is fine because Sableye is your starter not Darkrai. Also 4 Skyla is too much.
  12. Ziggmiceter

*Whiffed
    And no, for a T2 Night Spear, you normally need 2-3 Items. Skyla won't get you 2 Items. I played it for awhile. It was decent. Different supporters are better.[DOUBLEPOST=1372507641][/DOUBLEPOST]Why did he delete his post? That was weird.
  13. blazechomp1

yeah i deleted the post. I realized i got some of another comment pkmn made, but i didn't want it, so i tried to get rid of it, but then screwed all of it up so I deleted it, but will repost. Maybe it is just me but I have been finding skyla quite useful. Often times after a JH I will have all but one card to complete the combo, and need the skyla to get the last card. Skyla just adds a lot of versatility to the deck, and not to mention can get your ace spec.[DOUBLEPOST=1372508331][/DOUBLEPOST]
    There is indeed a thing called testing which I have done hours and hours of. The issue that you aren't looking at is that your not always going to draw the cards you need. I can't tell you how many times I was close to a t2 night spear, I junipered, and I whiffed. Skyla gives you the assured card that you need. And I do run maxed out catchers, lasers, and dark patch, and still find skyla useful.
  14. pkmn

The testing part wasn't for you. As Ziggmiceter stated, you will often need more than 1 card to complete the combo. Whereas if you used Juniper you would still most likely get it without sacrificing the draw power and the card advantage and the deck thinning it gives you. There will always be times when you whiff the T2 because you used juniper, but it still outweighs the advantages it skyla can give when it hits the cards.
  15. Datwombat

Datwombat Wannabe Failure

pkmn; Comparing juniper to the use of 1 or 2 skyla is absurd as the deck will always run 4 juniper, and it would warrant the supporter spot over a Bianca, or possibly Cheren. If you think about it in terms of Skyla vs. Bianca (as i'm pretty sure next to no one will run cheren in their darkrai) Skyla will have its golden moments, and running 3 Bianca and 1 Skyla seems overall more versatile and well rounded than 4 Bianca.
    blazechomp1 likes this.
  16. Ziggmiceter

we're not talking about that at all
    we're talking about rather having RR or Bike, or at least I am since they are simply better in this deck.
    edit: also, we're talking about rather using Juniper T2 than Skyla. Skyla's cool and all, but there are better cards to play instead of it. A consistent Darkrai list shouldn't need Skyla simply on the principle that it should draw through its deck extremely fast.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
    pkmn likes this.
  17. Datwombat

Datwombat Wannabe Failure

Well pkmn and blazechomp we're talking about the inclusion of Skyla in the deck. I actually saw no conversation about Random Reciever over Bike, or vice-versa. Although i think that's an interesting topic.
  18. Ziggmiceter

The key word there was and. I'd much rather be running 4 Juniper 3 N 2 Bianca 1 Colress 2 Bike 2 RR and use a better draw supporter than find space for a Skyla there and draw it when I don't want to.
    coolestman22 likes this.
  19. coolestman22

coolestman22 Now Has Techron

One thing about Skyla is that you really shouldn't consider it a draw Supporter (Unless you are fine Skyla'ing for Bike when you need to and can draw enough cards for that to be relevant). In my testing with Skyla in Big Basics, TDK, and Darkrai, 2 Skyla should equal one draw out (I liked the 13 Draw/3 Skyla split I played in TDK for a while).

It's a neat card and a nice mechanic, but it's not really a draw card.
  20. MetalArmedAngel

MetalArmedAngel My lovely Luka ♥♥

Skyla is a search card, and when you play draw supporters, you generally are looking for a trainer card (EX Catcher, Laser, etc) which is why I think 2 of is good (and has good synergy with bicycle)
    pokemonguy likes this.