Tier 2 Darkrai EX, Sableye DEX

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by Serperior, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Serperior

Serperior Well-Known Member

This thread is for Darkrai EX variants. The strategy is to use item cards then get them back with Sableye while powering up Darkrai EX.

[spoiler=Click here for Decklist]

4 Darkrai EX
    3 Sableye
    2 Absol
    1 Keldeo EX

4 Juniper
    4 N
    2 Skyla
    2 Colress

2 Bicycle
    4 Dark Patch
    1 Max Potion
    2 Random Receiver
    4 Catcher
    3 Dark Claw
    1 Computer Search
    2 Silver Bangle

10 Dark Energy

Free Spaces: 10. Just add some more Supporters/Absol/Trainers with free space. [/spoiler]
    yoyos likes this.
  2. blazechomp1

blazechomp1 Active Member

This deck seems like it could become more of a toolbox deck. I mean your list has got everything it needs and you still have 10 free spots. Fitting in things in those spots will be hard though....
  3. blargh257

blargh257 Is now Dedede.

I've tried a variant of this that runs Potion and Float Stone and it's working better than almost anything else I've ever used. I love it and think that the deck can still do well- maybe not as well, but decent at least.
  4. Serperior

Serperior Well-Known Member

Why would you run Float Stone. :confused: Yeah, Potion variants are pretty good also.
  5. jeffrey3421

jeffrey3421 Swarm Wannabe

In the last format, I played 2 Energy Switch 2 Float Stone. It works great. Heres how it works:
    Assuming you have no energy on board:
    WITH E-SWITCH: To get a Night Spear: Double Dark Patch, Attach to Active, retreat, energy switch to Active Darkrai.

WITH FLOAT STONE:To get a Night Spear: Double Dark Patch, Attach to Benched Darkrai, Float Stone Active, retreat.

In this situation, they are both doing the same purpose and Float Stone can be re-used.
  6. blargh257

blargh257 Is now Dedede.

That's basically why I use the card. It lets me Dark Patch without being concerned about having to attach to Keldeo or whatever else is active at the time.
  7. camoclone

camoclone Tomorrow we strike...

What do you all think about these Pokemon lines:
    3 Darkrai
    3 Sableye
    2 Landorus EX
    1 Terrakion
    1 Keldeo EX
  8. blazechomp1

why need the terrakion?
  9. camoclone

Just a non-EX attacker...
  10. blazechomp1

eh i dont really think its all that necessary. Might want to take it out for some more consistency
  11. camoclone

Not to mention doesn't have water weakness.
  12. Drench

Drench Active Member

I still believe this is the best Darkrai variant to run.
  13. superw8

superw8 Did you?

Any reason for that? You have an EX which attacks for 90 with 3 energy, that gets OHKOed by many popular decks.
  14. Drench

Drench Active Member

In any other Darkrai deck you have the same EX that gets OHKOd by many popular decks.

Still feel the vintage Darkrai list is it's best shot.
  15. klvkboom

klvkboom New Member

I should argue about this one, but I believe in the long run, Switch is more superior over Float Stone in this sense for Darkrai decks, mainly because it helps you get energy to your active easier. For example, you have an active Darkrai EX with no energy. You attach, retreat, use your Dark patches, and Switch to get back in to attack. Float Stone won't be able to do this, since you're only allowed 1 retreat/turn. And although Float Stone is more powerful because it can be reused, remember that any energy attachment gives you free retreat anyway, so Float Stone's effect might not be utilized as much, whereas Switch gives you that niche play in getting energy on your active to attack.

As for the deck itself, I firmly think it's the BDIF, mainly because you can tech so much to counter other decks and make them waste resources. Take Plasma for example, if you tech just 1 Silver Mirror, your Sableye can just bring it back after it gets Tool Scrapped, and eventually they can't get rid of it. You can also tech Life Dew to make any game 10+ prize games (not really 10+, but it's definitely possible). The deck itself isn't really heavy hitting, but it's very flexible with an insane amount of options.
    tynamo2014 and 911donkey like this.
  16. indercarnive

indercarnive Well-Known Member

but blastoise auto wins it, and plasma is iffy. 1 mirror there is no guarantee you'll get it early. and your genesect match is just night spear 2 ko, without lasers you have a lot harder time hitting 170
  17. jeffrey3421

Float stone could do that: Send up another Pokemon, attach to benched Darkrai, Double Dark Patch, Float Stone Active and Retreat.
  18. klvkboom

klvkboom New Member

That's assuming you start off with a Darkrai on your bench to begin with. And even then, in this scenario both Switch and Float Stone fill the exact same purpose. My scenario is getting energy to your active Darkrai, which can only be done with Switch. You need to get Darkrai to your bench, then attach energy through Dark Patch, and finally bring him back up active. You can only retreat once per turn, so if you want to change your active Pokemon twice in a turn you'll need another way other than retreating.

In your case, you said "Send up another Pokemon". Right there you used your 1 retreat, and your Float Stoned active will have to wait another turn.
  19. jeffrey3421

I'm assuming that your Active Pokemon was knocked out during your opponent's last turn.
  20. blazechomp1

The issue I have this variant of darkrai is just how unfavorable the Blastoise matchup is. Last format it was not a positive matchup, and we had energy switch, but now we don't have energy switch, so the matchup is just worse.