Tier 2 Darkrai EX, Sableye DEX

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by Serperior, Aug 14, 2013.

1. FZYDKWD

FZYDKWD New Member

I prefer to use him how he is used in Empoleon as more of a late game sweep. Was down 5-1 against Virgen in Norwalk then took 4 prizes by dropping the Dusknoir and moving damage. I think i'll cut to 1-0-1 and try it with more techs, but it was good.
  2. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

I have to try it again because the one tournament I played it in I did so terrible. I need to try to redeem myself... lol
  3. HighShroomish

HighShroomish Wreck-It Ralts

Well I actually have a chance to play in a LC this weekend! I know it's not the most important event, but I want a decent showing at my first tournament of the season. I'm planning on using Hammertime, and I'm still having some consistency issues. My meta is basically one of every prevelant deck in the format excluding Empoleon.
    4 Darkrai
    3 Sableye
    1 Keldeo
    1 Mr. Mime

4 Juniper
    4 N
    4 Skyla
    2 Colress
    4 Crushing Hammer
    4 Ultra Ball
    4 Dark Patch
    4 Energy Switch
    2 Switch
    2 Escape Rope
    3 Dark Claw
    2 Enhanced Hammer
    1 Frozen City
    1 Dowsing Machine

10 Darkness
  4. Professor_N

I feel like 4 Darkrai in most cases is too many. Same with 4 Ultra Ball.
  5. PellOfTheTundra

PellOfTheTundra Do you even LT-87

Swap your Sableye and Darkrai counts, and we'll be fine and dandy :)
  6. Salamencetrainer34

Salamencetrainer34 An ogre-achiever

-1 ultra ball
    -1 skyla (Shes important but not THAT important)
    - 2 Escape rope

+ 1 Absol (I like as a one-of, works good)
    + 3 Catcher (No matter how flippy, it is really helpful)
  7. blargh257

blargh257 Is now Dedede.

I think the metagame matchups in the current meta are too generally poor for straight Darkrai to do anything much in the current meta. I played at a CC's and went 4-3 just because I ran into bad matchups, and there were plenty more in the field.

That said, Yveltal-EX looks like it has a shot at fixing some of these. I look forward to playing more of this deck going into the future.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  8. HighShroomish

Woo just went 4-0 against Virizion/Mewtwo with the above list. 8-0 if you want to count each game instead of each match. Turns put my consistency issue was really just that I had somehow misplaced 3 Dark Energy. :oops: They all wondered why I played Frozen City until they found that just continually attaching to Virizion until my Hammers failed would just lead to a KO. I was on a hot streak with the flips today...
  9. Reshiphlosion

Reshiphlosion The Swarm

What do you guys think the ideal amount of Yveltal EX in this deck would be? I kind of want to build this deck again but I'm not sure about how many Yveltal I would need in here...
  10. Professor_N

From what I've been playing so far, I've never actually had to put more then 2 Yveltal EX on the table in a game.
  11. Reshiphlosion

Reshiphlosion The Swarm

Okay thanks, I'm going to start testing with two Yveltal EX in my lists on playtcg and see if I want to add more from there. Thanks again! :D
  12. pkmn

pkmn that's when I won nats

2-2-2-2 line of Sableye Darkrai Yveltal EX and baby Yveltal has been working well for me
  13. HighShroomish

I'm just gonna say it now, but Yveltal won't be anymore popular than Mewtwo. It works only with Sableye to stream Dark Patchs, you need to pile A TON of energy on it to be OHKOing, and then once it's KO'd with one Mewtwo or Deoxys, you're done.
  14. Professor_N

I've been using it as a back up attacker in my Darkrai/Garbodor deck, much like I would have used Absol as a back up attacker.
  15. Reshiphlosion

Reshiphlosion The Swarm

I've been testing out Yveltal a bit, I do think that it's a great secondary attacker in dark type decks and it is better than mewtwo. However I wouldn't use more than 1-2 of them in any given deck for the reasons HighShroomish stated. I also think that this card's best match is in Hydreigon as you can move energy on and off Yveltal easily and the energy isn't ever "stuck" on one Pokemon.
  16. Professor_N

Yveltal EX is really effective in preventing RayBoar and Blastoise from ever really using Delphox or Keldeo to attack, but then again, wouldn't they just want to OHKO your Pokemon for 3 Energy anyways?
  17. HighShroomish

Besides that, Mewtwo would be just as effective, simply because the energy required to KO an EX is so great that Yveltal's 20 extra wouldn't matter, especially for Delphox.
  18. Professor_N

The way I see it Yveltal EX will only really feasible 2HKO which Darkrai already does nicely and has the added Bench damage. Yveltal however only requires 2 energy to attack, so in a Speed Darkrai build it would be pretty good. With Yveltal you are nearly guarenteed to get an Evil Ball for at least 60 on the second turn, probably even more with Dark Patch, DCE, and Dark Claw.
  19. HighShroomish

I think people are starting to forget why Darkrai is actually good- and that reason is Sableye. You will be using Sableye early. No way around that. Yveltal will be good when Sableye is gone, simply because there isn't anything else to fill the role but mini Yveltal.
  20. Reshiphlosion

Reshiphlosion The Swarm

From my experience you only really pull out Sableye early for a T1 Junk Hunt unless you're using a setup deck. In a speed Darkrai deck like this you don't want to be Junk Hunting after the first or second turn. The way I see it is that this deck has always been about overwhelming consistency and early game pressure, so although an early Junk Hunt is really nice you also want to aim for a strong T2 attack to really scare your opponent.

That's just my 2 cents anyways.