Darkrai EX, Tornadus

Discussion in 'UG Deck Discussion' started by Adam, May 2, 2012.

1. Adam

Adam Noice bruv, innit.

Sample Deck List (updated through DEX - May 2012)

Pokemon – 9

3 Darkrai EX
    2 Smeargle UD/CL
    2 Tornadus EX
    1 Sableye DEX
    1 Shaymin UL

Trainers – 38

4 Professor Juniper
    4 Professor Oak's New Theory
    3 N

4 Junk Arm
    4 Pokemon Catcher
    4 Dark Patch
    3 Switch
    3 Dual Ball
    2 Random Receiver
    2 Dark Claw
    1 Eviolite
    1 Ultra Ball
    1 PlusPower
    1 Revive
    1 Energy Switch

Energy – 13

10 Darkness – Basic
    3 Double Colorless

via: The Dark Explorers Deck List Depot

Basic Strategy

The strategy is to open with Smeargle (or retreat Smeargle to the active Position in T1) and Portrait + use your own Supporters for the setup. Two Junipers are usually enough for a T2 Darkrai EX setup, so as long as your opponent has a decent Supporter in their hand, you’ll be ready to attack with Darkrai EX in no time.

The obvious companion of Tornadus EX is in the deck because Darkrai EX needs a supporting attacker with it. Darkrai EX is a really good card, but the fact that there are straight counters to it in the format (i.e. Landorus NVI, Terrakion NVI and Groudon EX) leads to Tornadus EX.
  2. Adam

Adam Noice bruv, innit.

3. Adam

Adam Noice bruv, innit.

Tech Options

4. Parenting101

Parenting101 Active Member

How about Absol Prime? 20 damage to benched Pokemon and can possibly attack for 70-100 (Dark Claw and special dark energy) turn 1 with the use of Dark Patch and switch.
  5. koji

koji last name ever, first name greatest

wouldn't unown dark ud help for a turn one free retreat or is it too clunky??
  6. 765Bro

765Bro Hibiki...~

This seems like a strange pair. Tornadus gets free retreat off Skyarrow and pairs it's Blow Through with it beautifully. What's even the point of Darkrai? Or rather, take a high retreat Pokemon and pair it with Tornadus. How about teching in like, Leavanny or something?
  7. koji

it beats zeels with plus power. night spear early game KO all tynamo 30hp or 40 hp.
  8. 765Bro

765Bro Hibiki...~

Only to bite a revenge KO thanks to that x2 weakness; Assuming you even draw the PlusPower. In my experience, it's bad to rely on PlusPower in your match-ups. It's a crutch, not a crux.
  9. koji

Cruz, crux whatever. good players will play around that.
  10. 765Bro

765Bro Hibiki...~

Exactly. A good deck doesn't rely on PlusPower. Take it or leave it, I know it's an important tool but I just don't think Tornadus is a good pair if he's reliant on PlusPower. I wish I could give a better suggestion but I feel that would change the deck's focus too drastically and require a whole new decklist. P:
  11. koji

yeah, well said.