Garchomp/Altaria (BW-on)

Discussion in 'Deck Help & Development' started by wiki188, Jun 14, 2012.

1. wiki188

wiki188 Mrlightning

Pokemon: 20
    4-3-4 Garchomp
    3-3 Altaria
    3 Emogla

T/Sp/St: 29
    4 Pokemon Catcher
    3 Level Ball
    3 Rare Candy
    2 Tool Scraper
    2 Max Potion
    2 Random Receiver
    1 Switch
    1 Super Rod

4 Juniper
    4 N
    3 Cheren

Energy: 11
    5 Fighting
    3 Water
    3 Blend [WLFM]

Garchomp Stage 2 HP 140
    [F] Sonic Cut [60]
    Discard a special energy attached to the defending Pokemon.
    [W][F] Dragon Blade [100]
    Discard the top 2 cards from your deck.
    Weakness: Dragon x2
    Resistance: N/A
    Retreat: [C]

Gabite Stage 1 HP 80
    Ability: Dragon Call
    Once during your turn you may search your deck for a Dragon type Pokemon,
    show it to your opponent, and put it into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward.
    [W][F] Dragon Slice [20]
    Resistance: N/A
    Retreat: [C]

Altaira Stage 1 HP 70
    Ability: Battle Song
    Your Dragon Pokemon's attacks do [20] more damage.
    [W][M][C] Glide [40]
    Resistance: N/ARetreat: [C]
    Emogla Basic HP 70
    [C] Call for Family
    Search your deck for 2 Basic Pokemon and put them onto your Bench.
    Shuffle your deck afterward.
    [L] Static Shock [20]
    Weakness: [L] x2
    Resistance: [F] -20
    Retreat: Free

The idea for this deck is to use Garchomp as your main attacker, and Altaria as your support for him.
    Your lead will be Emolga for the purpose of his Call for Family to get your Basics out. Next you want to get your Gabites out because they will search your deck for your Dragon Pokemon. Then You have maxed out Pokemon Catcher to hopefully take a prize each turn or every other turn. Then you have Tool Scraper to get rid of any tools your opponent decides to try to use and to stop Garbodor if he becomes big. 3 Level Ball and 2 Ultra Ball to get your Gabite up and running as fast as possible, and getting your Bench set up as fast as possible.
    Possible additions:
    More Super Rod
    Terrakion (although not advisable because he is slow)
    Big Cloak
  2. Shinzo

Shinzo Disciple of Darkness

The deck really looks like it has everything it takes to compete at high level. Finally, the return of stage 2 !
  3. Monferno

Monferno Rule #1: is that you gotta have fun

I like this deck, looks pretty solid.
  4. wiki188

wiki188 Mrlightning

B-League winning list:

Pokemon: 21
    4-3-4 Garchomp
    3-3 Altaria
    3 Emolga
    1 Rayquaza

T/Sp/St: 28
    4 Pokemon Catcher
    3 Level Ball
    3 Rare Candy
    2 Super Rod
    2 Switch

4 Professor Juniper
    4 N
    3 Cheren
    3 Bianca

Energy 11
    4 Blend Energy (WFLM)
    7 Fighting Energy
  5. Aklys

Aklys Skyla = BCIF comp search = BCE

I really think Big Cloak could be cool in here. Giving Garchomp a massive 160 HP is nice. Making it almost only susceptible to certain OHKOs by other dragons and maybe a desperate Mewtwo EX. Maybe even some Max Potion. With an attack only requiring 1 energy, and such Huge HP, Max Potion could help prevent even 2hko. I could also see not using Candies in here. With 3 gabite I think the deck could survive without candy. I personally would want to go through gabite. Searching for Swablu and Altaria is kind of important.
  6. wiki188

wiki188 Mrlightning

I was thinking the same about the candies but sometimes you want that turn 2 garchomp im taking it to league to test tomorrow so ill decide then and max potion isnt a good idea because of the fact in most cases youll either be one shot or youll be 2 shot and you just need to deal with that. if anything id put in more draw. for the cloak itd be bad because against mirror because you should always run scrapper here.
  7. Aklys

I keep forgetting about scrapper ^^;; About potion, as we've seen in this format here, KO denial is very effective. Like reels, potion is in there because for example, darkrai is everywhere, and a 70+70 (cause of eviolite) then max potion is hard for the darkrai player to handle. Granted, an experienced player knows to go after eels, there is a distinct 2-1 prize trade for a darkrai and an eel. As far as t2 garchomp, I can see that. And with cloak, it would force your opponent to have the scrapper like nowadays, and eviolited darkrai forces a retaliate to have a plus power. I know this is all theorymon here in the US. But i think both can and will be tested here in August.

EDIT : I guess I could always proxy for fun XD
  8. RisingDawn

RisingDawn #1 Oshawott fan! :0<

I can't wait for this! But my build will be testing/using a Large cloak/Max potion combo. KO denial is big, especially since your not risking EX pokémon. It helps Altaria resist night spear damage as well. I'm worried about the lack of pokémon communication as well. I might sacrifice the good gabite for it. I'd rather go for Garchomp T2 than have a gabite on my bench getting catcher'd and KO'd by the non-EX rayquaza. All in all I'm very excited for this deck
    Aklys likes this.
  9. Aklys

Im with this guy, KO denial all the way. Well, except for the gabite part. I think there could be other ways to get the t2 garchomp than letting go of gabite. The search i believe is just to crucial for the stacking of altaria.
    As far as potion still goes, im just obsessed with max potion XD
  10. Duelistwithoutaname

Duelistwithoutaname New Member

I would have to agree with no candies with a 4-4-4 line. I kinda see gabite like a better eel. It's a great bench setter, but if your active chomp goes down you can send up the stage one and get a chomp. But a lot will depend on the meta. If its super fast you'll need the candy to keep up, but if you can afford to wait that extra turn I think the deck space will be worth it
  11. Gelatin

Gelatin So soft and jiggly.

Personally, I would still play max Rare Candy (maybe 3). No matter how great this Gabite is (it is amazing for this deck) you still want to have Garchomp swinging right out of the gate.
    Truong likes this.
  12. Truong

Truong Simple. We burn the Durants. All of them.

I'm with Gelatin. With no Candy, you'll get Garchomp out Turn 3, which is kinda late IMO. I'd run a 4-3-4 with max Rare Candy or 3 if I need to add in something else (i.e. Maxing out Catcher/Max Potion).
  13. Patric

Patric Nondescript

MORE DRAW SUPPORT!
    I would also take down the tool scrapper count to 2, it won't be absolutely essential unless Garbodor becomes popular, which as of right now may or may not happen
    Also, MORE DRAW SUPPORT!
    I'd take the water energy count down as well because most of the time you can get away with the first attack for 80 and removing a special energy with Altaria, so minus 2 water. use these slots to add max potions, it's helpful when you're only attacking for 1 energy. also, everything has 1 retreat, so switch isn't all that neccesary, especially since everything (besides garchomp, of course) is going to be KO'd pretty much the same turn they're dragged out, so i'd just take it out entirely. use those 2 spaces for terrakion and a super rod/exp share, or you'll be Darkrai/hydreigon shenaniganed to death.
    lastly, MORE DRAW SUPPORT(find room for 3 bianca or 3 cheren, at least. this deck uses a lot of draw to stay consistent).
  14. Reclamation

Reclamation Part of the entourage

My main points here would be i think you either need to tech in another attacker (Mew-ex can work in this deck), or you need to bump up the super rod count. I've play tested with this deck, and there have been situations where i have fell behind, but had the ability to come back, but simply ran out of attackers. Like it has been said, i know this list is very tight, but max potion would be awesome here. If you can max potion of damage that didn't OHKO you, and attach again, and keep attacking. Also. More Draw support.
  15. RisingDawn

RisingDawn #1 Oshawott fan! :0<

Mew EX, is a bad play for this IMO, 120 hp isn't enough with mewtwo EX still around. 2 Super rod usually does the job for me.
  16. wiki188

wiki188 Mrlightning

this is what im thinking for my list
    -2 Ultra Ball
    -1 Switch
    -1 Water
    -1 Tool Scraper

+3 Cheren
    +2 Max Potion

I noticed the ultra ball was just over kill for this deck and its easy to get 2 altaria's 2 gabites and a garchomp on turn 2. I'm also thinking of taking out an emolga for a Rayquaza, but im gonna probably wait till the set comes out and i see how my meta is then. Also Mew is a bad choice here because he only hits for 60 for one and 100 for 2 at most plus gives up 2 prizes. like many have said before go aggro with garchomp, he is a beast in his own right.
  17. Patric

Patric Nondescript

Don't take out an emolga, emolga is your best friend. He's great basic search, and he doesn't get ohko'd by the rayquaza that people like to tech in and has free retreat,making him a lot easier to use. Also the extra 10 hp makes him mostly Donk resistant. If you need an extra attacker, terrakion
  18. wiki188

wiki188 Mrlightning

Terrakion is too slow for this deck IMO
  19. Patric

Patric Nondescript

I would play test him if you have an issue with darkrai/hydreigon, but he may very well be slow. As previously stated, up the super rod count if you need more attackers later on
  20. wiki188

wiki188 Mrlightning

im more for another super rod but if japan gives a look forward no lists really had terrakion in it because dragons were populating the format and best counter to dragons is more dragons