garchomp ex box

Discussion in 'Pokemon TCG News & Gossip' started by ShinyEevee, Apr 8, 2014.

1. ShinyEevee

ShinyEevee The not so shiny

Anyone have any thoughts on the new ex box? Found it strange that a promocard not found in any sets was released in a box set. Though it doesn't seem that impressive of a card. Does it have anplace in the meta?
  2. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

I think it would have a place in the meta if the Energy requirements for it's second attack weren't so terrible. It would make for one heck of a new Garchomp/Altaria, at the very least....
  3. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care

They've done a few box exclusive promos recently - Plasma Darkrai, Musketeer Trio, Druddigon. They've all been more or less ignored.

Garchomp EX is pretty bad. It's not as if there aren't easier ways to do 120.
  4. Hurrmaadurr

Hurrmaadurr Is blasting off again

I would say battle city is easily the best box exclusive, I like to call it poor mans beach
    tonenkyra likes this.
  5. baby_mario

The best promo exclusive was the Toxicroak G we got with the Platinum Player's Guide (which was cool in and of itself).

We've had some nice blister promos like Shuckle and Litwick.

I think Plasma Darkrai was/is underrated.
    tonenkyra likes this.
  6. PokemonGeek

PokemonGeek Derp, Derp, Derpity Derp

Why. It isn't very good and has no place in competitive play.
  7. baby_mario

If you say so.

It's a PAR attacker with Dark support. I made a nice little deck out of it.
  8. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

The fact that Plasma Darkrai is, well, Plasma makes it a decent attacker. With 3 Deoxys, a Muscle Band (or Dark Claw ;)), and LaserBank it's hitting for 170, 180 with the 4th Deoxys. Not too bad on a non-EX attacker with Dark type support via Dark Patch.
    tonenkyra likes this.
  9. ShinyEevee

I think I missed that. Where did Plasma Darkrai come out at? I don't think I saw that. Is it new or is it older?
  10. MaverickNate

MaverickNate Active Member

May 29, 2013: Team Plasma Box
  11. ShinyEevee

Wow. I missed that by nearly a year. I think this was during my hiatus from the game. Too bad as I like that box after looking it up online. Does anyplace still sell it? I'd rather avoid online shopping. Was there a promo code for it in the TCGO?
  12. MaverickNate

There was no PTCGO code. You might be able to find it in stores still. Definitely Toys R Us, but their prices are so high I'd avoid there first. Meijer is the place I think would be most likely to have it. Or a WalMart that's in the middle of nowhere. Those tend to have some older product/lots of stock left.
  13. HighShroomish

HighShroomish Wreck-It Ralts

Or a Walgreens.
  14. MaverickNate

Walgreens only carry Theme Decks, packs, and repackage tins. Never promo boxes.
  15. HighShroomish

HighShroomish Wreck-It Ralts

Really? Thought I saw the Landorus/Thundurs/Tornadus box there one time.
  16. tonenkyra

tonenkyra Squirtle Squad!

I just bought the last one that a comic book store had in my 30 min area. Personally do not have the box but I have everything else. I have the giratina, darkrai, darkrai jumbo and the boosters (opened of course and nothing good) that came wiit and the code cards for said boosters (3) and coin. interested?
  17. ShinyEevee

Significantly less so when I found out that there was no PTCGO code for the promos. I might just buy the darkrai because I'm a huge darkrai fan. I feel like I'm playing more PTCGO than in real life. All I've got is league and I've taken a break from tournaments so its bi-weekly at best with physical cards but whenever I want online.

What are you asking for the darkrai?
  18. tonenkyra

tonenkyra Squirtle Squad!

hey, I play the PTCGO, you should probably add me. as for the darkrai promo (non jumbo size I assume?) $5.50 including shipping, unless you wanted tracking on it. check out my sale thread, so I don't clog this up and not post where im not supposed to.
  19. Ein

Ein The Mega Man Master

The FA Plasma Darkrai and the FA Giratina promo are on PTCGO but I'm not sure how to obtain them. They could have been sold for gems in Canada only or they could have been a prize for winning a scheduled alpha tournament.

The alpha tournaments held today offered a promo Garchomp EX (and packs) for the winner.