Gyarados - Gyarados SF, Magikarp SF

Discussion in 'UG Deck List Depository' started by Adam, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Adam

Adam Noice bruv, innit.

Gyarados - Sample Deck List (updated through Triumphant)

Pokemon – 22
    4 Magikarp SF
    3 Gyarados SF
    5 in combination of Sableye SF and Smeargle UD, preferably a 3/2 split
    2 Crobat G PL
    2 Uxie LA
    1 Uxie Lv.X
    1 Mesprit LA
    1 Azelf LA
    1 Combee SF
    1 Regice LA
    1 Unown Q MD

T/S/S – 32
    4 Pokemon Collector
    4 Poke Drawer +
    4 Super Scoop Up
    4 Junk Arm
    2 Pokemon Communication
    2 Seeker
    2 Expert Belt
    2 Pokemon Rescue
    1 Luxury Ball
    1 VS Seeker
    1 Warp Point
    1 Bebe Search
    4 Broken Time-Space

Energy – 6
    3 Rescue
    3 Warp

(deck list courtesy of MewJadester)

Basic Strategy and Overview

The basic gist of Gyarados is to get 3 Magikarp in the discard as quickly as possible, then evolve your 4th 'Karp into Gyarados and swing away for 90 damage for no energy. Do extra damage with Expert Belt and Crobat G (+ Poke Turn and Super Scoop Up) and heal yourself when you get damaged with Super Scoop Up and the Warp Energy + Seeker combo.

Your attacking Magikarp + Gyarados are easy to recycle thanks to Rescue Energy, Super Scoop Up, Seeker, Pokemon Rescue, and Combee SF. Broken Time-Space is crucial because it allows you to evolve Magikarp into Gyarados the same turn you play the 'Karp down.

Regice LA, Volkner's Philosophy, and Junk Arm all help to get your Magikarp discarded fast. The rest of the cards help with consistency and get you moving as fast as possible.

Once you set up your first Gyarados, you just want to keep attacking with "Tail Revenge" then heal/replace your Gyarados as needed. Just keep the swarm coming and overwhelm your opponent.

Because of the deck's reliance on Trainers, Spiritomb AR and Vileplume UD can give you trouble, hence the tech Dialga G Lv.X PL is used to negate both their Poke-Bodies with "Time Crystal."

The deck does a lot of damage for zero energy, has high HP, swarms, and is one of the simpler decks to play. What's not to like?

Skill Level

Intermediate. You need to be precise with all your moves, but the deck doesn't give you too many options anyway, so anyone that puts in the time can become a skilled Gyarados player. Once you add more techs and deviate from a standard list, that's when you need to be more adept.

Tournament History

State Championships 2010-2011: 4th Most Wins (tie) (masters)

City Championships 2010-2011: 2nd Most Wins (masters)

Battle Roads 2010-2011: 6th Most Wins (masters)

World Championships 2009: 5th Place
  2. Adam

Adam Noice bruv, innit.

3. Adam

Adam Noice bruv, innit.

Tech Options

Pokemon
    1/1 Dialga G Lv.X PL
    1/1 Luxray GL Lv.X RR
    Mesprit LA
    Ditto LA
    Unown Dark UD #40
    Unown ? LA #82
    Toxicroak G Promo/Psychic Energy

Trainers
    Poke Blower +
    Pokemon Reversal
    Black Belt
    Bubble Coat
    Pokedex

Energy
    Special Darkness Energy
    Cyclone Energy

(thanks to MewJadester and Poteet for input)

Matchup Advice

Vs LuxChomp

This matchup can be very close, depending on how they've teched their list out. You will usually set up first and begin to take prizes with a fast setup, and they will attempt to knock you out of the game with a Luxray GL X + Lucario GL knockout. One of Luxray's strongest tactics against you is using an Expert-Belted Luxray GL X with Lucario to knock you out, while making it very difficult for you to get the knockout in return (needing an expert belt and 2 flash bites). Your best options around this are either Black belt, or using Toxicroak G promo--two post-Call of Legends techs that saw good play the first week of States 2010-2011. Dropping mesprit LA early on to prevent their Uxies and Crobat drops will also help immensely, as well as getting rescue energy on your Gyarados as soon as possible.

Vs VileGar

This is one of your tougher matchups. Getting setup relies on trainers, which means getting spiritomb out of the way ASAP with regice LA before they are able to get Vileplume out. Burning through as many trainers as you can the turns where you do have access to trainers is key. Because you have no means of getting through fainting spell, an effective technique can be trying to set up 2 gyarados doing 60 damage each at once, and relying on two-shotting your way through gengar and hoping to catch a little luck on fainting spell flips. If you don't take an early lead right away, this matchup can be trouble.

Vs Gyarados (Mirror)

The key to this matchup is having the most ample recovery of gyarados'. Rescue energy and Pokemon rescue are both strong choices. Healing is also crucial, through super scoop ups and warp energy+seeker. Expert belt is strong as long as you know you have healing options in your hand--otherwise--going for 2-shot KOs without expert belt is the smarter play. Like most mirror matches, recovery and speed usually determine the winner.

Vs DialgaChomp

This matchup is an easier SP matchup than Luxchomp. Their greatest asset will be trying to slow you down early game with dialga G's "deafen", but you should be able to set up just fine in a few turns with sableye SF if they go this route. They rely on 2-shotting you and you rely on 2-shotting them, but a majority of the time you will have the first set ups and knockouts, and you'll usually have the easier recovery, too. This matchup is slightly favorable.

Vs Sablelock

Again, this is an easier matchup than Luxchomp, with a few twists. They will attempt to disrupt you early on with judge to slow you down, so getting a quick turn of trainers will be crucial. They don't have many options for knocking you out in one hit other than Honchkrow SV, so healing is always an option if they try to hit you. They will attempt to use darkness restore to pull your magikarps out of the discard, so keeping your bench full will always help. One other problem to be aware of is luring flame with Blaziken FB on your regice, which can leave you stuck for a handful of turns with no way to switch out. Be sure to have warp energy, warp point, or super scoop up for this scenario. Once again, another favorable matchup.

Vs Straight Machamp

Machamp will eat through your early spiritomb or smeargle, but that's about it. Fighting resistance on gyarados will absolutely wreck machamp's chance at having a very good game against built gyarados. You'll be two-shotting machamps left and right, while they'll struggle to knock you out in 3-4 turns. If they don't donk you, another very favorable matchup.

Vs Lostgar

This matchup can be big trouble. A magikarp thrown into the lost zone can cripple you for the game. You can't bench magikarp without a BTS and gyarados in play because they can Cursed Droplets your karp into the lost zone. You also can't leave magikarp in your hand, because it's a target for Hurl into Darkness. This puts you between a rock and a hard place, making setting up extremely hard to do. If you are lucky enough to stay conservative and only get magikarps when you can discard them, a built gyarados will at least 2-shot any gengars that they throw at you. However, getting to this point is the real challenge, and is what will make the matchup difficult for you.
  4. Jade

Jade Member

no offensive adam but your skeleton list is trash.

if i want to go with a skeleton list, i'd go with that:

Pokemon – 22
    4 Magikarp SF
    3 Gyarados SF
    5 in combination of Sableye SF and Smeargle UD, prefer 3/2 split.
    2 Crobat G PL
    2 Uxie LA
    1 Uxie Lv.X
    1 Mesprit LA
    1 Azelf LA
    1 Combee SF
    1 Regice LA
    1 Unown Q MD

T/S/S – 32
    4 Pokemon Collector
    4 Pokedrawer+
    4 Super Scoop Up
    4 Junk Arm
    2 Pokemon Communication
    2 Seeker
    2 Expert Belt
    2 Pokemon Rescue
    1 Luxury Ball
    1 VS Seeker
    1 Warp Point
    1 Bebe Search
    4 Broken Time-Space

Energy – 6
    3 Rescue
    3 Warp

as for tech options, i would have to expand this list more and such.

Pokemon
    1/1 Dialga G Lv.X PL
    1/1 Luxray GL Lv.X RR
    Mesprit LA
    Ditto LA
    Unown DARK

Trainers
    Poke Blower +
    Pokemon Reversal
    Blackbelt

Energy
    Special Darkness Energy
    Cyclone Energy

so yeah, i'll post my list later when i want to ask for fixes from ya'll.

sorry if i have to nitpick.
  5. Poteet

Poteet Washed Up

other techs, bubble coat, unown ?
  6. Adam

Adam Noice bruv, innit.

Aight thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it. I had just copied a list from one of the articles, so I'll update with your guy's suggestions.
  7. JWittz

JWittz Active Member

It was probably my list, what did you find to be "trash" about it?

There isn't much of a reason to run crobat G without running any copies of poketurn, and with only 1 copy of Bebe's search you have a bad Vilegar matchup, too.
  8. SaiaSandstorm

SaiaSandstorm Member

^ This.

Pokemon – 21
    4 Magikarp SF
    3 Gyarados SF
    4 Sableye
    2 Crobat G PL
    2 Uxie LA
    1 Uxie Lv.X
    1 Mesprit LA
    1 Azelf LA
    1 Combee SF
    1 Regice LA
    1 Unown Q MD

T/S/S – 33
    4 Pokemon Collector
    3 PokeTurn
    4 Super Scoop Up
    4 Junk Arm
    2 Pokemon Communication
    3 Seeker
    2 Expert Belt
    2 Pokemon Rescue
    1 Luxury Ball
    1 VS Seeker
    3 Bebe Search
    4 Broken Time-Space

Energy – 6
    3 Rescue
    3 Warp

This seems much more consistent. I don't understand why there was a lack of PokeTurn to begin with, and it needed more Bebe's. I personally think 4 Sableye is the way to go...but then again I'm just not a big fan of Smeargle.
  9. SimeonLVX

SimeonLVX New Member

I played Josh's list (w/o Dialga G, as I don't have it) at last cities and did fairly well (3-2, both losses were with TOP 4 players with GengarSF ad Gengar/Machamp). Smergle helped me against Luxchomp, when I used twice my opponet's Cyrus to search 2 Poketurns, which proved to be useful later to OHKO Luchomp LVX.

Any ideas how to play or tech against Gengars? They are huge in my metagame.
  10. Magnechu

Magnechu Active Member

You should certainly be playing Crobat, even without Poketurn. That means you're running SSU, which it can still be used for. It's still an invaluable card to have, even if you use it less.

I'm an advocate for 2 Bebe's, mostly just in case 1 is prized, but I've seen plenty of success with just 1.

The sample list now is pretty good. I like 3 Expert Belt in the deck, as well as 2 Mesprit.
  11. JWittz

JWittz Active Member

I'm all up for discussion--and this is maybe one of the reasons that it's better to have deck discussion as opposed to deck fixes. My opinion and another writers might be different, so it's best to get a full range of what everybody thinks.

@Magnechu-- yeah I could see justification for still running them regardless--I just don't like how it stops you from having another option to one-shot luxrays and garchomps when you don't have the belt. The third belt as you suggested is probably a good way to fix that, though, and either way it could be searched with the double drawer. I haven't played with drawers in anything but uxie donk, but I do love the way it combos with junk arm so well.
  12. yeniths

yeniths Member

Is including DGX really that needed? is vs vilegar really that bad?
  13. BREEE

BREEE Member

Whatever happened to luxray gl x as a tech? my friend went 8-0 and won cities with a Non-power locking, no Dialga g x Gyarados with the help of luxray.
  14. SaiaSandstorm

SaiaSandstorm Member

The matchup against VileGar is bad as is, why would you add PokeDrawer+?
  15. Adam

Adam Noice bruv, innit.

Luxray is listed as possible a tech (post #3). :)

Yeah I'm not sure... MewJadester could respond to this I guess.
  16. mr619

mr619 Cheese Head

I have to agree, that Crobat really helps in gyarados. Even without poketurns, it can be great.
  17. Genguy

Genguy Active Member

Everyone at my league plays drawer in their G-dos, but there is very little trainerlock.
  18. Jade

Jade Member

Pokedrawer+ have really sick synergy with Junk Arm, that's why. And having 2 copies of the card put into play at the same time get whatever you need in a pinch. One of the best trainer cards for the deck, when comboing with Junk Arm.
  19. SaiaSandstorm

SaiaSandstorm Member

It's not worth sacrificing Poke Turn though...
  20. Jade

Jade Member

Poketurn sucks, no exceptions.