“Hey Hey Hey, What’s the Play?!” – The Frontrunners for Fall Regionals

Discussion in 'UG Article Talk' started by rayc591, Sep 19, 2013.

1. rayc591

rayc591 Member

2. Adam

Adam Noice bruv, innit.

Great article Ray! What's your opinion on 3 Keldeo EX and 2 Black Kyurem EX vs. 2 Keldeo EX and 3 Black Kyurem EX in Blastoise? I noticed you run 3 Keldeo whereas other writers run the opposite count.
  3. rayc591

rayc591 Member

Same reason I ran three at nationals, I like having it in play at all times. (except agains Genesect) I also don't want to get into a situation where I prize A keldeo, one gets KO'd and somethin like Blastoise gets catchered up. Having to spend 4 Energy to retreat would be impossible and put you into postions you don't want to be in. I also use it as an attacker in almost every matchup. (again excluding Genesect)
    Adam likes this.
  4. vestav

vestav New Member

Great article! I'm still a beginner at the TCG game, but I was rather surprised not to see a more aggressive use of the Frozen City stadium in the plasma deck. I would think this is one of the big advantages of running plasma, especially since a lot of other decks are fairly energy intensive (e.g. Blastoise) and this could help cut them down.
  5. rayc591

rayc591 Member

vestav That is a strong option in plasma if Blastoise ends up actually being big, but even then you need to play at least two copies of it for it to stick. Almost every deck that Frozen city is good against has counter stadiums. I'm not saying that it's a bad strategy though. We saw Jonny Rabus (idk if that how you spell it) top 8 worlds with frozen city in his plasma deck and he liked it a lot. I think it's really just which version you like better. I would test out a plasma variant with frozen city if you like the card because it's not bad. I personally just don't like it because It always seems to just get countered or not do as much work as the other cards in my list.
  6. vestav

vestav New Member

Thanks Ray! I'm still pretty new to the game and am trying to understand the interplay between the different cards. I've currently been experimenting with a Virizion-ex deck where I try to quickly front-load a bunch of energy at the beginning of the game and then throw down frozen stadiums to slow my opponent / make it painful to catch up. I was just surprised not to see Frozen City and was wondering if it was generally seen as being a weak card.
  7. OldSchool420

OldSchool420 New Member

Id like your opinion Ray....

I too, think Blastoise is the play if regionals were tomorrow, however, I only own two beaches. So they hypothetical I propose is this, if regionals were in fact tomorrow, should i play Blastoise with two beach, or just play something else? (I plan trying to acquire another before regionals though)

I saw where Jay said he wouldnt touch the deck with less than three, so i figured id ask for your take on the matter....
  8. rayc591

rayc591 Member

vestav that's an interesting idea however I do not recommend Frozen City is a non plasma deck. It could hurt you more than help you, But I have not tried it yet.

OldSchool420 My honest opinion... Don't play Blastoise. I couldn't see myself playing a deck where I don't have the best list possible. I think the best list possible would have three beaches. (like my list in the article) I would recommend Darkrai Garbodor as my second choice, followed by either plasma or VirGen (not sure which im more comfortable with yet)
    Adam likes this.
  9. OldSchool420

OldSchool420 New Member

How do you feel about teching kecleon for the blastoise mirror?

Surely we are not the only ones in our testing who are coming to the conclusion that its got pretty solid matchups across the board, so i figure there to be lots of Blastoise at the top tables come regionals, making the tech seem appealing. Thoughts?
  10. rayc591

rayc591 Member

OldSchool420 I remember struggling between teching Keckleon or baby black Kyurem but decided on Baby Black Kyurem because it basically does the same thing for you (KO's BK) but has less HP and you need to discard more energy. I guess you could use the argument that Keckleon can also copy Keldeo's Secret Sword but honestly your going to almost always have your own Keldeo or way to KO the Keldeo. Baby Black Kyurem was almost always better last format since it also helped a little against KKK and Ray eels but those are gone now meaning Keckleon got a bit better. Keckleon can now X ball Ko a mewtwo for 3 Energy (idk how relevant that will be). Black Kyurem (baby) lost a lot of the reasons it was SO much better than Keckleon but now they seem to be about even.... I think Keckleon is strong and I will
    Definitely be considering it over Baby Black Kyurem especially if
    mewtwo sees play more.
    OldSchool420 likes this.
  11. Sally10

Sally10 New Member

Great job ray the article helped a lot
    rayc591 likes this.