Article How does X&Y affect the status of rogue decks-In depth analysis of Stage 1 Rush

Discussion in 'SixPrizes Stuff' started by PokemonGeek, Mar 30, 2014.

1. PokemonGeek

PokemonGeek Derp, Derp, Derpity Derp

How does X&Y affect the status of rogue decks-In depth analysis of Stage 1 Rush
    Hey there everyone in the Six Prizes community! My name is Sidney Barber and today I’m going to be doing an in depth analysis of a rogue deck that has appeared after the release of X&Y- DugChu, or, as it is more commonly known, Stage 1 Rush.

Now, I love a good old rogue, and this certainly is one. But what gives it that status?

[​IMG]
    The Components

Raichu XY
    Ah, everybody’s favourite electric mouse. For a DCE, this little guy can hit for 100 damage, should you have a full bench. This is seemingly reminiscent, identical in fact, to Cinccino BLW’s ‘Do The Wave’ attack that was the sweeper in decks such as Weavile lock and the ever-awesome Donphan/Yanmega/Cinccino/Zoroark deck that dominated my local league forever! But enough of that, let’s get on to the stats-Raichu is a 90hp stage 1 with a x2 weakness to fighting and a -20 resistance to metal-not too important, as metal is possibly the least played type right now, with virtually no viable attackers except maybe Skarmory EX, but that’s really just a tech for Plasma to get rid of Silver Mirrors.

Oh, and one good thing: IT EVOLVES FROM PIKACHU!!!

[​IMG]

Dugtrio XY
    TPCi must have been living in the past when they were making X&Y. First we get Cinccino-no, Sidney, Raichu-and now Donphan Pri-wait, no, Dugtrio! If you are new to Pokémon, Donphan Prime was a monster to face, all because of its first attack, Earthquake. For 1 fighting energy, you did 60 damage to you’re opponent’s active Pokemon+10 to each of your benched Pokémon. Donphan was a key part in a certain rogue deck called The Truth, piloted by none other than Ross Cawthon.

But enough about Donphan and on to Dugtrio, who again is a 90hp Stage 1 with two attacks, although we’re only going to be focusing on the first one. Identical to Donphan Prime’s first attack, Earthquake does 60 for a fighting energy plus 10 to each of your benched. It also has a x2 weakness to grass, no resistance, and a 1 energy retreat cost. Mmm… a x2 weakness to grass. That means VirGen will give our little Dug buddy a hard time. If you take 2 prizes, even Shaymin EX will one-shot Dugtrio. However, decks these days don’t tech in Shaymin, but VirGen players take easy prizes off you when they Emerald Slash.

At least it one-shots Darkrai when you have a bangle on it.

[​IMG]
    Zoroark NXD
    When a Pokémon has an attack that lets you copy one of your opponent’s attacks, the immediate reaction might have gone a little like this:

Excited kid: Oh my god, this Pokémon lets me copy my opponent’s moves. I can Evil Ball Yveltals for a DCE and get 2 prizes. Or Night Spear my opponent’s benched Sableyes for cheap prizes too. WOW!

Yep, Zoroark’s suitably named ‘Foul Play’ attack allows you, as the player, to copy any one of the Defending Pokémon’s attacks. That means if your opponent has been putting tons of energy onto, say, an Yveltal EX, then you can copy it to use against them to maybe take 2 prizes for a DCE instead of 9/10 Darkness energy.

This card is the direct reprint of Zoroark BLW, also used in the HS-on version of Stage 1 Rush.

Zoroark- the Master of Illusions deserves its name.

Garbodor DRX
    Mr. Trash Bag is in da HOUSE! One of Darkrai’s many PiC’s (Partners in Crime), for a tool you have the power to lock all abilities on the field and in the discard. Such abilities include:

Ho-oh EX- Rebirth

Darkrai EX- Dark Cloak

Deoxys EX- Power Connect

Sigyliph- Safeguard

Hydreigon- Dark Trance

Aromatisse- Fairy Transfer

Mr. Mime- Bench Barrier

Trevenant- Forest’s Curse

Mew EX- Versatile

Latias EX- Bright Down

Keldeo EX- Rush In

Blastoise- Deluge

Emboar- Inferno Fandango

Virizion EX- Verdant Wind

Genesect EX- Red Signal

That’s a fair few things we’ll be locking with Garbodor. Against Plasma, you’ll be making all their Deoxys dead weight as well as their Keldeos. Against straight Darkrai you’ll be locking their free retreat and their status denier. VirGen you’ll be locking the status denier and their gust effect. Against RayBoar and Blastoise you’ll be shutting off their energy acceleration, meaning they’ll struggle to get speedy attachments, putting you at an advantage. But there’s one problem- you need a tool.

But which tool?

Float Stone is the ideal choice for Garbodor, with Rescue Scarf coming a close second. But any tool will do. For instance, if you only had space for tools that are beneficial to your attackers, just attach one and get the lock going. Especially against Plasma. And because your Pokémon have no abilities, Garbodor is probably a worthy inclusion.

On to the list:

Pokémon-16

Trainers-36

Energy-8

3 Pikachu BCR

3 Raichu XY

3 Diglett XY

3 Dugtrio XY

2 Trubbish LTR

2 Garbodor DRX

1 Zorua DEX

1 Zoroark NXD

4 Professor Juniper

3 Shauna

3 Colress

3 Skyla

1 Dowsing Machine

3 Level Ball

2 Ultra Ball

4 Hypnotoxic Laser

3 Silver Bangle

2 Muscle Band

2 Float Stone

2 Super Rod

2 Virbank City Gym

4 DCE

4 Fighting

Let’s go on to the decisions I made for the deck

4 Professor Juniper, 3 Shauna, 3 Colress, 3 Skyla

My draw support lines are pretty bog-standard, except maybe the 3 Skyla. I made this decision as Skyla can grab you the tool you need to make a KO or establish the Garbodor lock. Also, I prefer Shauna to N as it gives you far better late-game consistency, something much appreciated in this deck.

1 Dowsing Machine

I chose this ACE SPEC because being able to bring back tools and balls is a really awesome power to have against your opponent.

3 Level Ball, 2 Ultra Ball

This is the ideal search engine for the deck, seeing as two of your main attackers are 90hp Pokémon. For the Zoroark and Garbodor lines, we have ultra ball.

4 Hypnotoxic Laser, 2 Virbank City Gym

There for the same reason that they are in other decks-to hit the extra 30 damage needed to get our knockouts.

3 Silver Bangle, 2 Muscle Band, 2 Float Stone

The tool choice is a bit weird. Muscle Band is inferior to Silver Bangle, but it is always nice to know you are going to get the extra damage when needed, because we have a 1 in 12 chance of hitting the stuff that strengthens our damage output.

2 Float Stone is there to give Garbodor free retreat, as our other tools don’t combine well with him, seeing as we’re never going to be using Sludge Toss, so these work with Garb better than the rest.

4 DCE, 4 Fighting

The standard line in Stage 1 Rush. We do not need anything other than these as 2 of our 3 main attackers utilize DCE to get their damage on to the opponent.

3-3 Raichu, 3-3 Dugtrio, 2-2 Garbodor, 1-1 Zoroark

I learnt a piece of advice from someone on the forums a few days ago-Rusted Spork- if you are playing a variant of this deck, use thick lines like the ones above like 3-3 or 3-4 for your main attackers. This works for me, but people who I have spoken to about the list said that having the extra basic can be a key factor in determining the outcome of a game. To be honest, Zoroark is really just a tech to swing matchups like Yveltal or VirGen your way, hence the 1-1 line. Garbodor is best kept at 2-2 simply because of space constraints.

Tech lines

Eeveelutions
    To be fair to Eevee and its evolutions, they add versatility into a deck that some might say is lacking in the above factor.

Flareon and Leafeon are by far the best options, and a 2/1/1 split considerably improves the VirGen matchup and adds further dominance over Blastoise.

But to run Flareon means changing the decks focus entirely. You would have to cut down on the existing lines just to fit Flareon in on its own. And that’s without factoring in the amount of extra Pokémon Flareon needs to make it work. And anyway, it’s quite easy just to trade 2HKO’s with your opponent’s EX’s.

But if you really want to make sure you can deal with VirGen, a 2-2 Flareon line is advised. Flareon can also deal well with Accelgor, the one Pokémon that is this deck’s silver bullet.

Recommended Count: 2-2 (Pure Flareon) or 2/1/1 (Flareon and Leafeon)

So there you have it, an in-depth analysis of Stage 1 Rush, a deck I feel has at least some strength in the metagame, and is what is called a ‘variable’, meaning you can tweak it to your preferences. Thanks for reading and peace out.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2014
  2. OshaWaterBottle

OshaWaterBottle Active Member

This is nicely written, however the font looks terrible.[DOUBLEPOST=1396199956][/DOUBLEPOST]However there are some parts that need work like,

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  3. PokemonGeek

Thanks, how do I edit font. Will change that phrase.[DOUBLEPOST=1396201797][/DOUBLEPOST]@Oshawaterbottle - does the new font look better? Have changed Phrase that you mentioned, is it ok?
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  4. OshaWaterBottle

OshaWaterBottle Active Member

I would go for something like, It has minus twenty resistance to steel types, then add something to that.
  5. Adam

Adam Noice bruv, innit.

Feedback!

1. The set is officially "XY" (not "X&Y").

2. DugChu is a good topic! (There has been little talk of it yet.)

3. The intro is a bit brief. You should talk about the objective of the deck. (What's the point of DugChu?)

4. Don't talk about the stats or attributes of a card; anyone can look up a scan if they don't know what something does. Talk about what I wouldn't know just by reading the card. It sounds nooby when you say "This card has 90 HP, 0 Retreat Cost, Weakness to Fighting, etc..."

5. I don't think it helps that much to mention old cards that were sort of similar to new ones. (It feels you begin to get off-topic to me.)

6. There isn't that much of a need to give a list of seemingly random Abilities Garbodor shuts off. Some of the cards you list aren't that popular. (How is Mr. Mime at all relevant?) If you want to mention specific popular decks Garbodor helps against that Raichu and Dugtrio can't handle themselves, that would make more sense.

7. "Float Stone is the ideal choice for Garbodor, with Rescue Scarf coming a close second."

Is Rescue Scarf really a close second? I haven't seen anyone play Rescue Scarf in quite a while.

8. For the card analysis of the deck list, talk about the Pokemon first. You want to go in the order that the cards are listed in the deck list.

9. "My draw support lines are pretty bog-standard, except maybe the 3 Skyla."

The exclusion of N isn't that standard. (I know you mention this, but why say the lines are standard in the first place then?)

10. "Muscle Band is inferior to Silver Bangle"

Explain why.

11. It would be nice if you were to include some kind of "matchups" section for the popular decks out there.
  6. willcompere

willcompere New Member

I agree with what Adam said. But I love playing this deck at league tournaments and do well with it. Just not good enough for me to play it at a big tournament. A League Challenge maybe. But thats it
  7. Nugget3254

Nugget3254 Dinosaur...

I wrote an article on this too, but I promise you it was started before I saw this. Anyway, just wanted to let you know.
  8. PokemonGeek

Thanks. I will edit it and then post the 're-edited version
  9. PellOfTheTundra

PellOfTheTundra Do you even LT-87

Did like the article! A lot of articles on Dugtrio/Raichu variants lately!
    Can't wait to see the discussion when we get Flash Fire -- Druddigon, Pokemon Fan Club, Sacred Ash, and more!
    Oh, this upcoming format is going to be the most fun in a while, I can already tell!
  10. PokemonGeek

@PellOfTheTundra I agree. NXD-FF will be a brilliant format with some good decks
  11. Adam

Adam Noice bruv, innit.

More feedback...

1. "How does X&Y affect the status of rogue decks"

First of all, it's XY (not X&Y). That was the first bit of feedback I gave last time.

Secondly, that's not what you wrote about here. I'm not sure if you understand what a "rogue" deck is. A rogue deck, as so eloquently described by @stmlacek1, is a surprise that does not always work. I'm not sure how you could even write about a set affecting decks we don't know about.

2. "In depth analysis of Stage 1 Rush"

I would rather see you call it Raichu/Dugtrio (or DugChu, if you must). "Stage 1 Rush" is such a generic term to me, and I want writers to be specific so the readers can follow along clearly.

3. "Now, I love a good old rogue, and this certainly is one. But what gives it that status?"

I'm not sure I really consider the concept of Raichu/Dugtrio "rogue." I feel like there have been a fair number of people talking about it or who have at least heard about it, so that means it's a known concept.

You then don't address why you call it a rogue. "But what gives it that status" implies you are going to describe why it is a "good old rogue."

4. "This is seemingly reminiscent, identical in fact, to Cinccino BLW’s ‘Do The Wave’ attack that was the sweeper in decks such as Weavile lock and the ever-awesome Donphan/Yanmega/Cinccino/Zoroark deck that dominated my local league forever!"

You're getting onto a tangent there, and it makes your article less focused and harder to follow.

5. "For 1 fighting energy, you did 60 damage to you’re opponent’s active Pokemon+10 to each of your benched Pokémon."

I mentioned about this already: Don't talk about the stats or attributes of a card; anyone can look up a scan if they don't know what something does. Talk about what I wouldn't know just by reading the card. It sounds nooby when you say "This card has 90 HP, 0 Retreat Cost, Weakness to Fighting, etc..."

There is a lot more that needs to be corrected, but I'm just going to list those five things for now.

You need a lot more practice writing (and listening) before I could consider you for the front page. I'm glad you're excited about the game and want to share your thoughts with others, and I'd recommend joining in on deck discussions here if you want to practice getting better at writing about the game. Wait until the summer before attempting another article.