I Play the Game AND the Numbers

Discussion in 'UG Article Talk' started by badganondorf, Mar 14, 2013.

1. badganondorf

badganondorf Active Member

This is the thread for discussing the following article:

I Play the Game AND the Numbers

Post your comments and questions below! Any and all honest feedback is much appreciated.
    superw8 likes this.
  2. Blueye95

Blueye95 TCG is all i need

Really good article Esa! The magic numbers are really important in any metagame and so far darkrai and landorus hav been feasting on them.

What was striking though was that you were talking about darkrai not running switch anymore, but there is the possibility if going back to the old fasioned switchrai. Keldeo EX is useful, but you won't use it that many times a game and you waste an energy attachment on it to work. Currently im running a one-of switch in my deck for this reason. Also in the garb matchup, it would be stupid to play down keldeo and more attackers than you would need (so start darkrai sableye and when you get a night spear off, benc the next darkrai when you can attach to it etc)

Also I am on the fence about RayEels (or what to play in gerenal). When it goess off, it wins so quickly, but then there is landorus and tynamo. In Illinois state, where ross cawthon won, he donked a tynamo in game 1 of the finals. Right now i hav to decide between rayeels, darkrai, big basics (with my prefenrece in that order)

+1 for sure!
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  3. Mr_Rumpleteezer

Mr_Rumpleteezer Hovercat Mod

Excellent article, friend.

I do have question though. You mentioned that you didn't enjoy Moltres + Fire/Prism in Blastoise. I agree, but what do you think the best answer to KlingKlang is then?
  4. lucarioAdventure1

lucarioAdventure1 i swear on me mum

Another timeless article by Esa Juntunen!

In other news, what do you think about the regular big basics build for week 2 Esa? (without Garbodor) Just curious is all. Otherwise keep up the good work! (Both here and on your blog)
  5. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care

Classic Esa article . . . you tend to put a bit more edge and controversy in than the other UG writers, which is good thing.

Curious about the Darkrai/Ninetales, especially the 1/1 line with 1 Fire. Do you feel you only really need it against Klinklang and are prepared to take the risk of something being Prized for the sake of keeping as consistent a Darkrai deck as possible? I've found that Tales/Laser is a pretty effective combo against a lot of things.
  6. Jiddypop

Jiddypop New Member

Great article! Very informative for someone just getting bak into the game after a 10 yr sebatcle haha! I too am on the fence regarding eels and darkrai...week one I had terrible matchups with eels at Oklahoma states with it. I agree that when it hit and can quickly take the game...first world problems lol trying to figure which pokemon deck to run...
  7. bocox06

bocox06 New Member

Awesome article, but I find it best in my keldeo/blastoise deck to run scramble switch as it turns a 110 dmg from a keldeo into a 200 black ballista with that lightning enrgy you've been saving up in your hand... also it gives a spot for some guilt free max potion so you never lose the energy
  8. quack

quack Member

nice article! I was wondering for the garbodor list, why did you decide to play the one terrakion and one bouffalant. those cards can seem to mess with you opening attacker. what are your thoughts if I did:
    -1 bouffalant
    -1 terrakion
    -1 computer search
    +1 scramble switch
    +1 landorus
    +1 max potion or trubbish
  9. badganondorf

badganondorf Active Member

Blueye95: Switch is a very controversial card in Darkrai EX variants IMO. If you run only one copy of them, it's very difficult to get it at the point you really need it even if you run Skylas. At the moment I'm testing Escape Rope in the deck, because I really love the card and would like to see it as a useful card.

Mr_Rumpleteezer: Great question! I just made an article about it in my blog yesterday: http://www.thedeckout.com/2013/03/how-to-counter-klinklang-with-top-tier.html

lucarioAdventure1: I see it being very competitive, because now that Garbodor has become a staple in the format, Blastoise and Klinklang will be a very risky play. The "standard" big Basics worst match-ups will decrease while the better match-ups will increase. I think it's an excellent play for the 2nd weekend!

baby_mario: Thanks! I know that my opinions differ sometimes a lot from other writers' opinion, but that's great, because it only makes our UG team stronger in my opinion. I really don't like playing 2-2 line, because I like to keep the focus on Darkrai EX. Also, you can get a few prizes without Ninetales against Klinklang, so unless you prize everything, you'll be in trouble. After all, prizing the tech line in the one match-up where you need it... Well, I'm willing to take that risk as I don't believe there will be a lot of Klinklang's in our next States thanks to the U.S. States (hopefully).

jiddypop: Great to hear you enjoyed it! If I were, you I would take Darkrai EX, but that's just me ~

bocox06: Scramble Switch is nice, but because the format is even faster than before (almost too fast), I want to keep Blastoise as consistent as possible and this requires Computer Search. An opening hand with Scramble Switch disgusts me, lol.

quack: I feel like Terrakion is a staple, because it alone is enough to take care of a Darkrai EX that doesn't anticipate it. Bouffalant is cuttable if one dosesn't like playing with it. But on the other hand, I really feel like the deck needs non-EX attackers in order to survive mirrors. Also, Landorus EX is the best against Eelektrik, which will be anyways a very strong match-up for a Garbodor variant. It's also good to remember that there isn't a game where you need 4 Landorus EXs, so 3 has been working solidly for me.

Thanks for the comments everyone!
  10. Reshiphlosion

Reshiphlosion The Swarm

Great article as always, I'll be seeing if I can implement your advice tomorrow ;)

Anyways, do you think that Blastoise would thrive in a field full of big basics with some Garbodor and minimal Klinklang? Because that's pretty much what is getting played over here and I'd like to try and prepare for it appropriately, thanks!