In a deck, what should be the percentage quota between energy, trainers, and pokemon?

Discussion in 'Deck Help & Development' started by jaritena, Feb 22, 2011.

1. jaritena

jaritena New Member

I'm making a new deck, and I'm looking for how many trainers/pokemon/energy to put in my deck. Later on, I'll tell you the average amount I have among my 3 decks (if i find my decklists). If you can, put your answer into percentage form (plz). Thanks in advance!
  2. Tamoo

Tamoo Probably the best in UK tbh

Re: In a deck, what should be the percentage quota between energy, trainers, and poke

It really depends on the kind of deck, you'd have to be a bit more specific, and even then there is so much flexibility in deck building that there can be no true perfect percentage for any deck really. Some decks can run on as few as 7 energies whereas others can go up to 35+. Some run no trainers yet and some run 40ish.
  3. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care

Re: In a deck, what should be the percentage quota between energy, trainers, and poke

Just to give you some idea of how much it varies . . .

Uxie Donk < 2% Energy
    Gyarados 5-10% Energy
    Typical SP deck 20% Energy
    Typical Stage 2 deck 10 - 25% Energy
    Mewperior 30-50% Energy

The 'right' amount of energy varies massively depending on what Pokemon you use. Same goes for Trainers. Vilegar runs 0-4 Trainers, while Uxie Donk can run 40+.
  4. jaritena

jaritena New Member

ya, it's coz all im seeing are decks with 15 max energy, a third of which are special energy, and running like 30-40 trainers and only a couple of pokemon. i revolve my decks around theme decks, because they provide me with energy. The decks im running right now aren't very good. Im running a giratina PL theme deck with some homey touches ( donphan prime 2-1, dusknoir 3-1-1, 2-1 mismagius, 3-2-1-1 Gardevoir/Gallade evolution, took out dugtrio, and added purugly g, and farfetch'd, plus some cyrus's, etc.
    and a stormfront gyrados theme deck with hg/ss blastoise evolution
    and a fire-arceus/ venasaur deck i made by myself.
    not any of the overplayed decks (LostGar, LuxChomp) and i don't have all the good techs (chatot, unknown g) or the overplayed cards (im looking at u, Uxie LA!) if you want, i could post deck lists later....
  5. cabd

cabd Taking over for Tamoo as the girly looking mod.

Charizard has your conditions written all over it. Cheap, lots of energy, parts of it are found in one of the HS theme decks.
  6. jaritena

jaritena New Member

isn't a charizard card super expensive?

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

or do u mean charizard g?
  7. Tamoo

Tamoo Probably the best in UK tbh

A charizard AR blister (coming with a full charaizard evo line and a pack of cards) costs 5 dollars I believe so it's not expensive at all.
  8. jaritena

jaritena New Member

oh...so it's the old charizards that are super rare and expensive

---------- Post added at 08:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 PM ----------

a blister? where i live a blister's about 15 lol (a blister has 3 boosters and a holo right? correct me if im wrong)
  9. cabd

No. It's a package sold at target. Five bucks for one charmander, one charmelion, and one charizard, in addition to one sealed booster pack. I'll post a sample list for you if you'd like.
  10. jaritena

jaritena New Member

yes plz, and brb for 22 min
  11. cabd

This list is from Travis Yeary’s (most excellent) front page Charizard Article. He’s the leading expert on this deck.
    I highly advise you read his article HERE to learn how this deck works.

Pokémon: 22
    4 Charizard AR
    2 Charmeleon AR
    4 Charmander AR
    These all come in those packs at target. Five bucks gives you one of each, so for twenty dollars or less, you have your entire main attacker line.

2 Cyndaquil HS
    1 Quilava HS
    2 Typhlosion Prime

The Cyndaquil and Quilava come in the Fire type starter deck for the Heart Gold/ Soul Silver TCG expansion. They can still be found at plenty of stores, namely Target, or online for cheap.
    The Typhlosion Prime is a rare, but can also be gotten as an assured promo in the HG/SS tins, also found at your local card store, or online.

3 Vulpix PL (2 Shiny, 1 Regular)
    If you are unable to obtain the vulpix, don’t worry, any will do if you’re starting out, the regular ones cost 50 cents or less online, and are easily traded for.

2 Ninetales GS
    These guys are rare, but were recently reprinted in the Call of Legends Expansion, so you’ll have to trade/buy these guys.

1 Infernape 4 RR
    1 Infernape 4 Lv.X

These two cards are purely optional, known as “tech cards” They’re quite expensive, but under-used, so feel free to sub them with two other cards if you wish.

T/S/S: 23
    4 Rare Candy
    These guys are VITAL to most any modern evolution deck, and they’lkl run you 2-4 dollars a card.

4 Pokemon Communication
    These can be found for cheap online, or in the HS Trainer Kit (Also target)

2 Bebe’s Search

Most pre-HGSS theme decks have one or two of these guys, make sure to get a playset ASAP

2 Broken Time-Space
    These guys hurt, at ten dollars a pop. Buy online.

3 Pokemon Collector
    These guys are expensive, getting a trainer kit from target gives you two of them.

1 Luxury Ball
    Most theme decks before HGSS have one of these

2 Fisherman
    Rather cheap, underused, easily traded for

3 Expert Belt
    Arceus theme decks, or online, not that costly, also a free league promo now

2 Stark Mountain
    This is a stadium from Storm Front, but is underused, so you should be able to trade/buy them easily enough
    Energy : 15
    15 Fire Energy
    12 of these will come from the HGSS theme deck you buy. Remember that basic energy is legal from all sets, old base set energy is fine. If not, basic energy is like 5 cents a pop online.
  12. jaritena

jaritena New Member

thx! I have most of these cards, so it shouldn't be a problem! (Plus I already have fire energy from magmortar theme deck)

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

i just read the article, and its one of the only decks that i feel comfortable with playing. the strategy is so crisp and precise! Thanks!
  13. cabd

Glad to help. Those "blister packs" also exist for Blastoise UL (One of my favorite decks, BlastGatr), Torterra UL (Used to win an overseas event or two) and Metagross SV (See the recent article by Dakota about that.) Since they all come with a booster pack, it's like getting the evolution stuff for only 1 dollar, quite a good trade.

How to School the Competition - Metagross (Up-to-date and quite well-built)
    http://www.sixprizes.com/forums/deck-discussion/1518-feraligatr-blastoise-deck-analysis.html (This is my article on the deck, and a good starting point)
    Torrim - A Look into the Venezuelan Metagame (A bit dated, but a GREAT starting list)
  14. indercarnive

indercarnive Well-Known Member

it depends on the deck. uxie donk runs 4 energy. luxchomp normally runs about 12. g-dos is about 5. but some decks like mewperior can max out to 30-40 ish. but most decks see staple energy as 10-14. for t/s/s its normally 20-30. and pokemon is 20-25. vilegar could get into around 28. but normally a staple pokemon list is about 23ish.
  15. Project696

Project696 Member

I talked to my league leader at one point about this kind of thing. Because you have all these new people getting into the game or getting back into the game and best way to start is starter decks. Why, because you get energy. But these starter decks teach you nothing in terms of building a deck. They give you 25 pokemon, 15 energy and 10 trainers/supporters. The ratios are all off. Typically best way to start is 20/20/20 (how i went) and now after extreme testing periods, all my decks are typically 10 energy or less.

I usually find something like a 20/30/10 ratio (Pokemon/TSS/Energy) is a good way to go building decks from scratch now and just playtest and change it till I'm happy with my results/
  16. cabd

Which is when you point them at my teacher article series.
    ~Shameless plug~