[Japan] Collection X / Collection Y

Discussion in 'Pokemon TCG News & Gossip' started by Googleplex, Sep 11, 2013.

1. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care

Evolution Soda does help Mega Evolutions - gives you a cost-free way of searching for them. Of course it can be used for other things as well.

I know Mega Evolution does look like more of a temporary forme change in the VGC, but seeing as they specifically use the term 'evolution' (on the Mega Venusaur card as well - 'When a Pokemon EX Mega Evolves . . . '), I guess that's what it is.
  2. PKMN_Trainer_Red

PKMN_Trainer_Red New Member

Add to that that the video game lore/background calls it an evolution, regardless of the net effect is a temporary form change.
  3. MaverickNate

MaverickNate Active Member

The card's just keep coming: M Blastoise-EX, Talonflame family, Greninja family, Delphox, Chesnaught, and Aegislash families. And a skiddo thrown in for good measure
    Adam, StrongRhino and baby_mario like this.
  4. SuperCrazyMan

SuperCrazyMan Badgers Are Cool

M Blastoise EX's attack is a better Night Spear.
    Chesnaught not that good, 4 for 90? Baddddd.
    Talonflame is okay, 1 for disruption, 2 for 100 with discard. Okay, but not competitively.
    Delphox's ability is nice.
    Aegislash is a very interesting concept, but I don't really see this competitive, it's too gimmicky
  5. StormFront

StormFront Active Member

After seeing Mega Blastoise its safe to say Mr Mime will be a popular tech card. Mega Blastoise also has good synergy with Dusknoir.
  6. InfinityMinusOne

InfinityMinusOne Has a tendency to exist

AEGISLASH. MUST. WORK.
    Y'all might see lists of Keldeo/Virizion/Aegislash in DH&D come February, courtesy of yours truly :rolleyes:.

You can't make some wild assumption like that when we haven't even seen the cards for 6 hours, and most of the cards from the next set haven't been revealed yet. Yes, it IS safe to assume that Mr. Mime MIGHT be a decent card that MIGHT help with the Blastoise matchup, and M-Blastoise MIGHT have synergy with Dusknoir, but as it is, despite all we know, there is so little we don't know about next format that there really are no "safe" assumptions.
  7. weakest

weakest Bear enthusiast.

It's a little early to make assumptions like that.

It's an interesting card, however, and it could see some play in Blastoise. It is much better than Venusaur objectively. I don't know if it will see a lot of play, but it will fun to try out at the very least.
  8. PellOfTheTundra

PellOfTheTundra Do you even LT-87

I'm not going to hypetrain on Blastoise, and that's not just for the sake of not hypetraining, I just don't like it.

Agreed 100%. The problem with it being in Blastoise is that M Blastoise is taking up a turn to Mega-Evolve, and last I checked, Blastoise doesn't exactly have the time to be sitting around for a turn without attacking (unless it has no energy, and then M Blastoise is pretty useless anyway).

I hope that they're just foolin' around, and are actually going to release cards that are worth the turn.

The rest of the cards are pretty subpar as well, imo.

Talonflame is good disruption, although I wish it were more like
    [​IMG]

or at least in the vein of the effect going off upon playing it down.

Chesnaught is absolutely terrible.

Greninja (although we've already seen it) could be nice for some lower-damage EX-based decks as not only a way of ridding themselves of Sigilyph/Suicune but also dealing heavier damage in general -- imagine changing Landorus's Hammerhead from 30-30 to what is essentially 30-120/150. I dunno though, stage 2.

Delphox... I'd rather just run Electrode, to be perfectly honest. Sure, 4 cards isn't a lot, but I don't have to rely on a rare candy, whereas with Electrode I could run 2-2 Electrode with 1 Soda and have an easier time, albeit for less benefit.

Aegislash is cute, but I'm not seeing why it's good. It would be good if it weren't 4 for 120, or if Shield Forme gave it more HP or something, but I don't see why you would ever use Shield Forme unless you were playing Klinklang and seriously just needed to stall until you got another Klinklang back up.

Weaksauce imo.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  9. SamSoldier

SamSoldier Don't know what to put here D:

Delphox looks prety decent and Aegislash is just AWESOME =D
    I loved the concept and King's Shield is a very nice attack =P
  10. Luigi

Luigi Formerly Zitro

Delphox is pretty interesting. It has a Fire version of Keldeo's Attack and has a Bianca effect as an ability (in net effect, it is a semi-Tropical Beach but only for you, you can attack, but only draw until 6). The downside is that all of this on a Stage 2.

I want to do an Emboar / Delphox deck now. Even if it isn't optimal. Sounds way too fun in my book.
  11. baby_mario

Delphox is what the game has needed since BLW-on. Generic consistency booster for Stage 2 decks, and basically a card that says FU to late-game N.
  12. PellOfTheTundra

What I don't like about it is that it is a stage 2. Sure, there are things to help it like Mr. Mime and the catcher nerf, but the problem I'm seeing is that if I'm blowing one of my rare candies on this thing, that's a rare candy I didn't use for one of my attackers (assuming you meant stage 2 attacking decks), and that means I'm going to have a harder time taking prizes when my attackers get KO'd. I'd agree with you 100% if every stage 2 wasn't 1-shotted while in the active.

Now, if you're talking about using it as a support for a basic deck, then yeah. I'll bite. That way, I'm not using a resource that I need to keep attacking on a support that could end up being a brick on my bench. But using it alongside a stage 2 attacker, I'm not so sure.

Feel free to disagree with me on any points here. I think I made valid points, but everything sounds better in your head.
  13. Adam

Adam Noice bruv, innit.

I'm really happy to see these cards have some interesting attacks/Abilities, especially for a base set. Hopefully that's a sign of complexity to come. The Black & White base set was woefully simple.
    StrongRhino and PellOfTheTundra like this.
  14. HEZ

HEZ Active Member

Some interesting cards there, shame big Basics is STILL a thing in XY -__- otherwise these could all see some play. The problem still remains though, why would I bother wasting deck space and time in-game evolving these when I can slam a Massive Basic straight into play?

Like PellOfTheTundra said, the best Stage 2s are going to continue to be the ones that support big Basic attackers, not be the center of decks themselves.
    StormFront and PellOfTheTundra like this.
  15. baby_mario

It has to be a Stage 2 really or it starts infringing on Electrode's territory. Sure, that's not ideal and it may end up eating one of your Candies.

There aren't any Stage 2 attackers I would use with it now, but who knows what is coming? Just having it there opens up possibilities.

I wouldn't use it is a Basics deck because Basics don't really need the constant stream of resources that Evo decks do. If I was going to use anything (and I probably wouldn't) it would be Electrode or Musharna.

I try not to get bogged down in theorizing ahead of releases. Seen it go wrong too many times (most hilariously when people paid $100+ for JPN Darkrai LV X). It just seems to me that Delphox offers consistency to potential Stage 2 decks. It has been too long since we had decent non-Supporter draw in this game.
  16. jonnyboywonder

jonnyboywonder Jonathan Ferrini

Does anyone know the translation for the rules (that it says on the card) for playing down Megas? My only question is if it says "from your hand" because Evolutionary Soda would get around it
  17. PellOfTheTundra

I guess it does, but the limit of 4 Rare Candies is super harsh on its possibilities.

On that we can agree, I was simply stating that right now, using it in a basic deck is pretty much its ONLY option.

Yeah, and it's going to get a lot of initial hype for being a consistency Pokemon. Remember when Electrode was hyped? I do.
  18. Luigi

Luigi Formerly Zitro

I'm new to the game so take my logic with a mound of salt...but Delphox itself can serve a a backup attacker in my opinion IF you run Emboar. I think using one on a 2-1-2 line and the other on a 3-1-3 line with Rare Candies and Evolution Soda might work...*hides in corner of ignorance*
  19. HEZ

HEZ Active Member

The thing is, you'd be running Delphox for its Ability to boost consistency. But by running a Stage 2 line (or even 2) you're making your deck less consistent than a deck that just doesn't run it at all. Stage 1 is about the highest level you can go for a purely draw Pokemon, Delphox's attack would have been good once upon a time but now... it just doesn't cut it.
  20. PellOfTheTundra

I would agree with you, if it weren't for it having 140 HP, being a stage 2, having a water weakness, and a 2 retreat cost. EVERYTHING in Stoise one-shots it. Lugia with Muscle Band 1shots it and takes 2 prizes. Kyurem with Muscle Band and 2 Deoxys 1shots it with Frost Spear, or always 1shots it with Blizzard Burn. Darkrai with claw/band and laserbank oneshots it, as does Yveltal's Y Cyclone, and if it has enough energy to attack, Yveltal 1shots it with Evil Ball, no modifiers. I could go on.

Also, once it dies, you've lost your consistency.