Landorus + Lugia (LOL)

Discussion in 'Deck Help & Development' started by SteveBaPanda, Jan 14, 2014.

1. SteveBaPanda

SteveBaPanda Putting SA on the map

I've been testing with a more standard TDK list with a Genesect as a pseudo-catcher and the number of energy attachments got me thinking. I came up with a list that uses Landorus and Hammerhead to get damage out and then Lugia to pretty much sweep and take prizes. Thundurus can also be used when facing a deck that Landorus has weakness to and/or to get energy onto Lugia quicker. Deoxys is in the deck to boost Thudurus and Lugia's attacks and get the KO's when needed.

Here's the list I've figured out so far:

Pokemon - 11
    3 Landorus EX
    3 Thundurus EX
    3 Deoxys EX
    2 Lugia EX

Supporters - 12
    4 Professor Juniper
    4 N
    2 Colress
    2 Skyla

Trainers - 21
    3 Ultra Ball
    3 Colress Machine
    3 Pokemon Catcher
    3 Switch
    2 Team Plasma Ball
    2 Max Potion
    1 Float Stone
    2 Frozen City
    1 Random Receiver
    1 Scramble Switch (ACE SPEC)

Energy - 14
    4 Blend WLFM
    4 Plasma
    3 Double Colourless
    2 Fighting
    1 Lightning

Total of 58 with two slots remaining.

The main strategy is to use Landorus (or Thundurus) to get damage out onto two EX's or three non-EX's and allow a Plasma Gale sweep by Lugia to take prizes. The one energy attacks by Landorus and Thundurus gives me more plasma energy to attach to Lugia making it easier to power up. The deck would like to go second so as to get an early Hammerhead or Raiden Knuckle off, but going first and getting energy onto Lugia suits it fine too.

I have good reasoning (I believe) behind the card choices I made, but I would like input and opinions from anybody else. I am not set on Scramble Switch, but it is the best way to hold onto a lot of energy and shift from one attacker to another. I would like to bump up either the number of random receivers or the Supporter count, but not entirely sure how. The energies I used do make Deoxys a deadweight except for adding damage to Thundurus and Lugia's attacks, but I suppose swapping out the Blends for Prisms achieves the same purpose.

Flaws or problems with the deck that I can identify so far would be decks with high counts of Safeguard Pokemon like Sigilyph and Suicine, Plasmaklang oriented decks or decks using Silver Mirror. Virizion/Genesect dropping G-Booster or Blastoise getting Black Ballista's quite quickly could also be quite problematic. Missing Catcher flips could also give an opponent time to heal damage off or more time to setup and deny prizes.

Any feedback, input or alternatives would be appreciated!
  2. SoldiersSpirit

SoldiersSpirit I will defend my Kingdom.

+1 Catcher
    +1 (Tech)Kyurem

You're main problem is any safegaurd pokemon not high counts of it lol. A player could literally have out sigilyph/suicune/klinklang and you can literally do nothing.

I'd also say drop the basic energies for 3 prism so that you can have that option with deoxys.
    Salamencetrainer34 likes this.
  3. Salamencetrainer34

Salamencetrainer34 An ogre-achiever

As rare this would be, what if you faced froslass? No more energy for you!
  4. PellOfTheTundra

PellOfTheTundra Do you even LT-87

Or what if you faced hammertime?
  5. SoldiersSpirit

Landorus has no fear of the time with hammers, plus if hammers were such a problem plasma decks wouldn't be played as much.
  6. PellOfTheTundra

PellOfTheTundra Do you even LT-87

Landorus might not, until your entire field is bereft of energy and you've got little-none to attach.
    Also, that's because GOOD plasma decks at this point run at least some basic energy. Lugia variants run 2-5 Lightning, Kyurem variants run (insert amount) of basic water...

Seriously, when you lose all of your energy to hammerspam every turn and have none to attach, you'll understand.
  7. SoldiersSpirit

Bad example. I've seen various plasma lists (Yeti or Speed lugia) use all special energy and hammertime doesn't deter the deck. It's not something to be feared honestly and if someone plays 3 enhanced hammers in their list than so be it, can't really prepare for that lol.
  8. SteveBaPanda

SteveBaPanda Putting SA on the map

Yeah, Landorus puts a lot of pressure onto Darkrai/Sableye and Thundurus also helps so that even if hammers do come down, I should be able to recycle energies until all the Sableyes are knocked out. I think I'll try it with some basic energies and only special energies and see how the matchup goes.

I was more worried about Silver Mirror and Safeguard Pokemon. Landorus deals with pokes with Silver Mirror and the tech Kyurem should handle Sigilyph and Suicune, the problem then arises if my opponent were to attach a Silver Mirror to Plasmaklang or before mentioned Safeguard Pokemon. I'm taking in account a bit of a surprise factor here, because if my opponent benches too many EX's or Pokemon I can KO before using Safeguard walls I should still be able to pull out a win.