Tier 2 Lugia-based Plasma variants (Speed Lugia, Snorlax PLF)

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by Casca37, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Kirbyswag

Kirbyswag Pie

What's wrong with playing Latias EX again?
  2. CyrusTyler

CyrusTyler Skill Level: Average Plebian

The fact that you never use it except to stall or attack Pyroar. Kind of like Genesect-EX. Plus that's 3 turns of energy attachment you have to dedicate to making Latias-EX work for you. Not that it's bad or unworkable, I mean we do have Plasma Badge, but it's an annoyance.
  3. Kirbyswag

Kirbyswag Pie

I mean, attach to latias, raiden knuckle, next turn attach again, then tank.[DOUBLEPOST=1399337273][/DOUBLEPOST]Plus it can stall out other stuff too. Not just Pyroar.
  4. shong

shong Member

you cant raiden knuckle to latias
  5. CyrusTyler

Unless he's wearing Team Plasma Badge.
  6. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

Not a bad idea, since then Deoxys can buff it, and it doesn't have a side-effect of Silver Mirror now blocking it because Barrier Break goes through Silver Mirror.
  7. CyrusTyler

It's good against Suicine stall, Sigilyph stall, and it's safe against Pyroar and Ability Pokemon. The only problem is fitting it into a deck with the Plasma Badge(s).
  8. Kirbyswag

Kirbyswag Pie

I forgot about that. :/

Knew it was too good to be true. I guess I could always skyla for scramble switch if I really had to.[DOUBLEPOST=1399426901][/DOUBLEPOST]I probably wouldn't put in plasma badge just because of the inconsistency. If I come against pyroar, then I'll just bench Latias and slowly power it up, then go up and tank with it. If they retreat for something else, I'll retreat as well.
    Last edited: May 6, 2014
  9. Shieldmaiden

Shieldmaiden Member

I'm currently undecided over whether I prefer to run a 2-2 Raichu line, or a 2-1-1 Eeevee/Umbreon/Glaceon line (or just 2-2 Glaceon), in my speed Lugia.

The extra HP helps against non-EX decks, but Glaceon's free retreat for Lugia/Deoxys is invaluable - I can absorb hits with Deoxys, and get Lugia out when I want. The matchup versus Pyroar is also good.

But then Raichu... I'll have a full bench anyways, and he helps vs Yveltal and other Lugia.

I think it's a meta call at the end of the day. But a tough one.
  10. CyrusTyler

I made an anti-Yveltal Lugia deck variant with 2-2 Raichu XY. I'm currently 5-0 against Yveltal players (online, take this with a grain of salt).
  11. shong

shong Member

If Pyroar actually ends up mattering then I think Glaceon may be the choice for Plasma lists running DCE due to not only the ease in loading him up with energy, but also the fact that those decks are always running an Ultra/Team Plasma Ball mix to pull out Eevee whereas TDK isn't always running Ultra Ball. Plus Glaceon can easily hit 90-100 to hit Safeguarders and can potentially just replace Kyurem PLF as a non-EX attacker. Raichu is nice too and I'd definitely rather have his attack but Glaceon's is more than satisfactory and really has a pretty sweet ability. Leaves the door open to run 1x Umbreon or Leafeon along with a likely 2-2 Eevee/Glaceon line.
  12. Yankeefan1985

Yankeefan1985 Member

IDk if Pyroar is big in your area I would go a different deck of a few teck cards IDK about everyone else but these 2-2 lines everyone is talking about fitting in seem to me atleast they will kill this deck as you would have to take out too much you need
  13. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care

Yeah, Pyroar screws this deck over completely, and there's nothing you can tech without making the deck significantly worse vs everything else.
    CyrusTyler likes this.
  14. CyrusTyler

If you're considering switching Kyurem PLF for Glaceon as the key non-EX Pokemon, you're really in for some hard matches.

But then again, you're supposed to be smashing with Lugia for 180 every turn anyways.
  15. OK, I am thinking of taking this to a local tournament. What do you think of the list?

3 Lugia EX
    4 Deoxys EX
    2 Thundurus EX
    1 Palkia EX
    1 Heatran EX
    1 Snorlax PLS
    2 Frozen City
    4 Professor Sycamore
    3 N
    2 Lysandre
    2 Colress
    3 Colress Machine
    3 Random Receiver
    3 Bicycle
    3 Muscle Band
    2 Ultra Ball
    2 Team Plasma Ball
    2 Switch
    2 Float Stone
    2 Tool Scrapper
    1 Dowsing Machine
    4 Double Colorless Energy
    4 Plasma Energy
    3 Prism Energy

As far as I know, nobody in my area is running Pyroar or Hammers, hence the lack of Non-Plasma-Non-EX cards and the large amount of Special Energy. If I was to run Professor's Letter and 2 Lightning, I would have no room for energies for my techs such as Heatran.
  16. CyrusTyler

If you can, drop Tool Scrapper for Startling Megaphone. Nothing is worse than facing Tooldrop without Megaphone to reset their whole field. I always favored Scramble Switch over Dowsing, but that's because I like having the option of moving from Poisoned and suffering Lugia-EX to a fresh Lugia-EX, as we all know Poison is the Status Condition you're going to see most. Other than that, ensure you never rule out the option of a Deoxys-EX revenge kill on Yveltal-EX and you're good to go.
  17. Shieldmaiden

Shieldmaiden Member

Just a wild thought, but... teching Pyroar in?

You have muscle bands and rainbows anyway.

I've found in playtesting he also proves to be a massive sponge/distraction for the opponent not playing Pyroar themselves, allowing me to set up an ideal field while they plunge resources into taking it down.
  18. CyrusTyler

1-1 or 2-2? I'd only use Pyroar to beat another Pyroar, and the list is so tight that dropping 2 to 4 cards for a Pyroar line is going to hurt consistency. I wish, though. And its not a bad strategy, don't get me wrong.
  19. okcd

okcd New Member

Haha this was exactly what I thought...
  20. PokemonGeek

PokemonGeek Derp, Derp, Derpity Derp

New list:

3 Deoxys EX
    2 Thundurus EX
    1 Lugia EX
    1 Skarmory EX
    1 Genesect EX
    1 Audino BCR