Tier 2 Lugia-based Plasma variants (Speed Lugia, Snorlax PLF)

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by Casca37, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Wrags23

Wrags23 Feeling... rogue.

The Pokemon line looks inconsistent. Audino BCR really isn't necessary; Trevenant/Accelgor won't be too popular with Virizion EX in the format, and really, that's the only reason I could see one playing that card here. Skarmory EX is underwhelming. Also, the fact that you don't run any N is concerning... no, Shauna and N are NOT interchangeable. I still prefer Bikes over Roller Skates; even though they will usually field you less cards, they are more consistent. Also on the subject of flipping coins, 2 Pokemon Catcher doesn't work with the flip. You need to go big or go home for it to make a difference. 3-4 or 0. Running 3 Skyla with 3 Random Receivers is usually not a good idea, because the last card you want to see when you try to get out of a Supporter-less jam with Random Receiver is a non-draw Supporter. Finally, 4 Colress Machine is unnecessary, because you will draw into those Energies.
    PP101 likes this.
  2. PokemonGeek

PokemonGeek Derp, Derp, Derpity Derp

Maybe, but Audino has made a difference when testing, as getting rid of the Status is pretty good as opposed to Virizion.
    Say what you will, but I wanted a counter to Trevenant's Silver Mirror.
    This is personal preference. I prefer flat draw than something that only nets me 1 card at the end of a game.
    Roller Skates is an all-inclusive card; Bike is situational. 3 on a flip is better than nothing because your hand is bigger than 4.
    Ah, this is because Skyla is to be used early-game. Random Receivers are for late-g
    Read this and this. It is purely an idea.
  3. Wrags23

Wrags23 Feeling... rogue.

N vs. Shauna is not a personal preference if every successful deck (and most average/unsuccessful ones) choose N. Also, if there is this much Trevenant in your area, this is the wrong deck to play. Virizion/Genesect would be a much better choice. But if you are worried about status conditions ad you insist on playing this deck, Virizion is still a better play than Audino, because you already play 4 Prism Energy, and it isn't a one time use. About the Skyla, it is hard to be able to time everything and get the right draws to be able to use all your Skyla in the beginning of the game. There will be plenty of times when you RR into a Skyla, trust me. The Roller Skates and the 4 Colress Machine isn't as big a deal as the other things, and could work. It looks like you got a good chunk of this list from those two articles, which makes me wonder just how much testing you've done. It is fine to use a winning deck list as a basis, but no deck is perfect. Try out other options, because you might just find that you like something better than the list you started with. One cannot merely assume that because a deck won a major tournament, every idea in that deck is right.
    PP101 likes this.
  4. Kirbyswag

Kirbyswag Pie

^I agree with most of this. If you're looking for speed then 3 skylas isn't the way to go. Also, Genesect is a decent counter to trevenant/accelegor if you save your plasma energies or play shadow triad.
  5. CyrusTyler

CyrusTyler Skill Level: Average Plebian

In Speed Lugia, I think 1 Skyla is plenty enough. Gives you an added search option and helps out in clutch situations by grabbing that Scramble Switch or that Computer Search for the last Energy. 2 Skyla is a bit much because you'll be wanting draw support every turn, or hand reshuffle.
  6. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

You need a whole lot of cards in Speed Lugia to get the turn 1, or turn 2 attack off. If you are playing a strictly speed version, I wouldn't play any Skyla.
    KPiplup and Kirbyswag like this.
  7. PP101

PP101 The Swarm for 3 seconds then accidentally left

I ran a 2-2 Pyroar in mine as well as a Palkia and a couple Fires. Worked well, but my energy lines probably could've used a bit of work. You also would most likely want to run a Super Rod or something; I played against an Aromatisse with a couple Lysandre, a Rayquaza, a Super Rod, and a Dowsing Machine, and was demolished.
  8. PokemonGeek

Thanks for this; I've just played a game with 1 Skyla - the difference was amazing. So much more speed and I finally managed a T2 Plasma Gale…woo-hoo!
  9. Kirbyswag

Kirbyswag Pie

What does everyone think about druddigon? It seems like a pretty solid Black Kyurem counter if played right.
  10. Asclepius24

Asclepius24 Member

I run a Palkia EX, which I like because you can power it with Raiden Knuckle and you have the option to move it to the bench to use it again. You also don't have to wait to get knocked out to go after BKEX or Rayquaza EX. You can also grab it with Plasma Ball or Triad.

I do see the appeal of Druddigon, though. It can get going a little easier, only gives up one prize, and doesn't need Muscle Band and Deoxys EX to OHKO.
  11. Kirbyswag

Kirbyswag Pie

True, but palkia can be catchered up. If you use druddigon right, then he can surprise people.
  12. Professor_N

If by "using him right" you mean playing Druddigon down and attaching a DCE to it on the same turn, that's not all too reliable. I'd rather just toss him on the Bench to make the opponent scared. If they catcher a Druddigon, then yay, you made them Catcher a 1 prize attacker, and now can retaliate with a Lugia or something.

So overall what I'm saying here is Druddigon could be pretty good. But saying "if you play him right" is kinda vague, and I think I know what you mean by it (playing him with a DCE on the same turn) and I'm not sure I agree that that's the "right" way to play it.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  13. PokemonGeek

Palkia is a pretty good tech.
  14. Kirbyswag

Kirbyswag Pie

If you have a Druddigon ready in hand, then it's really not all to hard to get a DCE.
  15. CyrusTyler

I'm going to think out loud here. If you have the Druddigon in hand but no DCE and you have to have it that turn, you have three options available to you to find the DCE.
    • If you have Juniper, you can toss your hand and hope to grab the DCE.
    • If you have a hand reshuffle, you can drop the Druddigon and hope to get the DCE in your hand.
    • If you have a Skyla, you can look for Computer Search to find the DCE.
    Other than that, you can't find the DCE. I don't know about anyone else, but in my opinion the one with the highest probability of happening is the third. But if you don't run Skyla, then you're in a bind. If two are already attached to Lugia-EX, that leaves the option of at least one left in the deck. Having two Prized is very unlikely, so at least one remains in the deck. There's no way to search Special energy like there is with searching Basic by using Professor's Letter.

In my humble opinion, and I mean that nonsarcastically, having the Druddigon in the deck seems less usable than dropping in the Palkia-EX tech which throws itself back onto the Bench, gets a power boost from Deoxys-EX, and isn't situationally dependent (Druddigon relies on the opponent achieving a knockout in the previous turn).
  16. Professor_N

I'd rather just play Palkia. If you also play Snorlax it's not too bad in non-Rain Dance match ups.
  17. CyrusTyler

Snorlax takes forever to load up and it sucks. ;_; I used to run it and it is just so slow. Even though you can Teampact for max 250 (4 Deoxys+Silver Bangle+LaserBank).
  18. Asclepius24

Asclepius24 Member

Snorlax isn't something to sit and power up, though. The best use of Snorlax in Plasma is as the recipient of a Scramble Switch or when you can attach a DCE from the hand and via Thundurus EX in one turn. I don't usually end up benching mine, but when I need to get by a Sigilyph or want a one-prize sacrifice it's hugely valuable.
  19. PokemonGeek

Why on earth would you want to hit for 250 - 230 is the most you wanna hit for. (4 Deoxys+Laser)
  20. Gelato

Gelato The Swarm

He's saying you can potentially hit for 250. It's not the entire goal of running Snorlax though