Mafia General Discussion

Discussion in 'Mafia' started by cabd, Jun 15, 2013.

1. cabd

cabd Taking over for Tamoo as the girly looking mod.

This thread is intended for the discussion of mafia strategy, theory, and happenings.

Please note that talking about any ongoing game, on this site or off this site, will result in severe penalties including but not limited to removal from your current game or temporary game bans.

Now then, first order of business. With the way things have been working out player count wise, and the want of players to moderate games, I am thinking of having us try roving smaller games. Each game will be 9-13 players, with setups being 7/2; 10/3; or 10/2/1. This makes games run quicker, gives more players the ability to mod, and means games can run simultaneously. For example, let's say we have 20 players. 13 of them start the first game. Once two players die, a 9p can run with those two dead and the remaining 7 interested, or wait for 6 total dead, and start another 13 player, meaning each 13 player will be around two or three game days apart from each other. This also makes replacements much easier.

I'm looking for feedback on this idea, as it might be implemented following the conclusion of thiagopepper's game.
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
    thiagopepper, Falco413 and desufnoc like this.
  2. Falco413

Falco413 Can see the ending.

I like the idea. It's quicker, speeds up games, and keeps everyone alive in a game very often, it seems like a very efficient program.
  3. Kirbyswag

Kirbyswag Pie

I think that idea has some flaws. While I do like more players getting to mod games, we don't want to completely lose big games. There should be an occasional big game with many small games.
  4. KPiplup

KPiplup An Imposter

Stuff like that will almost certainly still happen occasionally, Kirby.
  5. SoldiersSpirit

SoldiersSpirit I will defend my Kingdom.

Here's my question, why can't player x in game 1 also play in game 2 if there's a need for one or 2 more players?
  6. coolestman22

coolestman22 Now Has Techron

I like the idea a lot myself, and hope to see it implemented soon.
  7. PP101

PP101 The Swarm for 3 seconds then accidentally left

I like bigger games better, honestly. :/
    Vablakes likes this.
  8. Kirbyswag

Kirbyswag Pie

Haha. Wait til the 10 players who have always wanted to mod sign up. See how much you like big games then.
  9. Mares789

Mares789 To war!

A problem with this is the decrease in flexibility for setups.
    I think no mod wants to make a generic game, he/she would want her game to stand out (IMO), and bigger games are a really good opportuniy for more creative setups.
  10. KPiplup

KPiplup An Imposter

It's worth noting that you still have to be approved in order to mod.
  11. Kirbyswag

Kirbyswag Pie

Mares789 - Which is why I suggest...

A) An occasional big game after X amount of smaller games.
    B) A big and small game run at the same time. 1 line for big games and 1 line for small ones.
  12. thiagopepper

thiagopepper Whaaaaat?

I think that smaller games are a good idea. This also allows us to use some of the open setups on Mafiascum's wiki, since most of them are 9-13p. But i agree with Kirby, we should have a bigger game every once in a while.
  13. PP101

So does this mean I'll have to shrink my game down to almost half its size?
  14. cabd

No. It means any mods that want to not sit around waiting two years to mod can run a smaller game ahead of yours if you choose to wait for a big one.
  15. PP101

Ah. So, if I'm understanding this correctly, any approved mod can run a small WW game whenever they want, but if they want to run a large game, they have to wait in line?
  16. SoldiersSpirit

SoldiersSpirit I will defend my Kingdom.

I'm assuming the small game queue will have an order in which you have to follow also...
  17. cabd

Yeah. The mods are in order regardless, it's just that running a small game is sooner than running a large. So like if you hop into the smaller game line, you get priority before anyone else in the mod lineup. But if you choose to wait for a large, people behind you can hop in to the small ahead.
  18. PP101

Will there only be one game running at any given time, regardless of size?
  19. cabd

Re read the OP please.
  20. KPiplup

KPiplup An Imposter

Any changes are probably going to implemented during the XI cannon if I understand correctly.