Miltank + Stage 2s

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by TheMantyke, May 10, 2014.

1. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care

Yep, you're right.

It takes some of the pressure off set up. As long as you have a single Empoleon you can hit for 80-110 with Miltank, meaning that that one Empoleon can use Diving Draw to set up other Empoleons/Dusknoir/keep up the stream of Miltanks. Later on, Dusknoir kind of forces the opponent to Bench more even if they don't want to, because multiple KOs are threaten a loss via Benching. Empoleon comes into its own then.
  2. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

You said 80-110, does that mean you prefer Silver Bangle to Muscle Band? I feel like Band still gets the job done, but Bangle would be better in a Greninja style build because 2 Shurikens + Bangle is enough to KO a 170 HP with Miltank.
  3. baby_mario

I prefer Band, I'm just stating the range of possibilities.
  4. luckynumbernine

luckynumbernine New Member

I'm taking greninja with me into nationals. Last few months I've been pairing him with kingdra. Now that miltank is here, what do you recon is the better play: 4 greninja, 3 kingdra and 2-3 miltank, or just 4 greninja plus 4 miltank with energy retrievals?
  5. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

I've heard people saying they still like Kingdra better than Miltank, but I think Miltank is much better. Pretty much just because it's a Basic.
  6. baby_mario

Greninja/Miltank took second at French Nats.

Kingdra is more combotastic, but the set up is much harder and the list is a nightmare to construct. For a long tournament I would go with the more straightforward option.
  7. ThePokemonBeast

ThePokemonBeast A Beast At Everything Pokemon

How does the Greninja/Miltank deck work?
  8. baby_mario

Attack with Miltank, put extra damage where you need it with Water Shuriken. Energy Retrieval/Super Rod gets Energy back for more Shurikens

4 Miltank
    4-2-4 Greninja

Standard Supporters/Trainers
    4 Retrieval
    2 Rod
    2 Prof's Letter

6-8 Water

Something like that. You could try a 1-1 Electrode or 1-1-1 Delphox for more draw.
  9. ThePokemonBeast

ThePokemonBeast A Beast At Everything Pokemon

Thanks
  10. ThePirateKingAtomsk

ThePirateKingAtomsk Red Haze Stalker

I recommend 1-1-1 Delphox.
  11. Otaku

Otaku Well-Known Member

Do you really need the Braixen? I know Rare Candy isn't re-usable (so once you lose a Delphox, its gone) barring Dowsing Machine or Sablye w/Junk Hunt (the latter not really being an option)... but will you really be able to take the time/resources to get a KOed Delphox back up and running anyway? Or is there an Item lock deck popular enough to warrant the slot? If there aren't enough copies of Rare Candy, might it not be better to focus on the Stage 1 form of the primary Stage 2 (as that will have more opportunities for use)?
  12. ThePirateKingAtomsk

ThePirateKingAtomsk Red Haze Stalker

I actually dropped Braixen Sunday. I would say you don't need it, but I also would say, it doesn't hurt to be safe.
  13. Otaku

Otaku Well-Known Member

@ThePirateKingAtomsk

Thanks; was just checking. Though I do disagree; this is a TCG and it can hurt to "be safe"; more than one deck has worked because playing it "unsafe" (while all but guaranteeing you'll lose once because of it) still gave a stronger deck and overall tournament performance. In this case... Braixen is one less other card you can play. ;)
  14. Gymmy91

Gymmy91 Member

I'm trying to build up a deck revolving around Miltank but I still can't choose between Empoleon and Greninja to pair with the cow!! What do you suggest? In addition, I don't own any copy of Dusknoir and Tropical Beach, are those cards really necessary to make Miltank/Empoleon run??
  15. baby_mario

Dusknoir would be a big, big loss to the deck. Ask anyone who has played it: it can be a real struggle to win if you can't get Dusknoir out for whatever reason. I wouldn't play Empoleon/Miltank at all without Dusknoir.

Tropical Beach is necessary if you want the deck to be as good as it possibly can be. It would still function without Beach, but it won't be an optimum build of the deck. I wouldn't play without Beach if I was actually trying to win a tournament of any significance. Same goes for Greninja/Miltank - the best lists include Beach.
  16. PokemonGeek

PokemonGeek Derp, Derp, Derpity Derp

Hear, Hear; you can't really run it without Dusknoir or Beach, @Gymmy91
  17. Gymmy91

Gymmy91 Member

And what if I make a deck with Miltank/Greninja plus a Delphox or Electrode line??
  18. PokemonGeek

PokemonGeek Derp, Derp, Derpity Derp

uh, dnk havent tested. imo sounds cool though inconsistent
  19. baby_mario

Yep, you could do that, and serveral players have. It provides nice mid-game draw.

But it isn't a replacement for Beach. It doesn't kick-start your set up in the way that Beach does.
  20. Gymmy91

Gymmy91 Member

I know that Tropical Beach helps a lot setting up early game but it's way too expensive so I'm gonna try out a list with a 1-1 Electrode line and see how it works. Besides Miltank, do you think a second attacker is needed?