My first Nationals experience

Discussion in 'Organized Play Information & Tournament Reports' started by MewtwoEX, Jul 6, 2013.

1. MewtwoEX

MewtwoEX The Guy who Gets Sacked

I am playing TDK and the list I will almost definitely using for grinders.

Round 1 v/Klingklang/Cobalion
    I start Thundurus, and then KO 2 Klinks in 3 turns with Thundurus and Deoxys.
    He has no other basics.
    1-0

Round 2 v/Garbodor/Durant
    I cant get an attack off T1 for some reason so I start attacking T2.
    She keeps Devouring until I have 10 cards left in the deck, and 2 prizes left, I count my deck and figure out that I cant take 2 prizes if she keeps devouring. She ends up discarding a Bicycle that I don't let her take back because if she doesnt get energy, I can win. I end up taking the last prize with 3 cards left in my deck.
    2-0

Round 3. v/RayEels
    I donked Tynamo T1 with Thudurus-Deoxys-Energy.
    I saw Fire in his mulligan hand.
    3-0

Round 4. v/Darkrai/Absol/Deoxys/Keldeo/Rock Guard
    So I accidentally draw my mulligan card before I put down a basic, so he got a prize at the beginning of the game. He ends up racing to a very good start where I get a okay start also. Then he started drawing very badly when I still got okay cards. Then I end up sweeping when he draws dead.
    4-0

Round 5 v/Noob Deck
    I swept him, then after the game he tried to get the judges to give me an autoloss because he says I played 2 supporters the last turn when I know I didn't.
    5-0

Round 6. v/Klingklang/Cobalion
    I got out to an early lead, but then I start drawing dead, so he starts mounting a comeback. Then I topdeck a Juniper and then sweep him with Kyurem from there.
    6-0

Round 7. v/TDK
    We both get very good starts and trade some prizes, then he started drawing dead. After he draws dead, I start sweeping, then, because I need a Catcher for the win. He says " Show me Catcher and I scoop". I show him Catcher and then I win, I'm undefeated still!
    7-0

Round 8. v/Gothitelle/Accelgor
    I end up misplaying a turn, because the pressure's off. Before that turn, I swept to a 6-1 lead but then he comes back when I make a misplay when I could have took my last prize. He ends up winning.
    7-1

Round 9. v/Darkrai/Absol
    I end up only playing 1 supporter the entire game. #Deaddraw#Everyday
    I lose.
    7-2

I end up waiting 5 for the Top Cut standings & pairings, by the way, I'm in Seniors, so there's Top 64. I make it in at 23rd as the 13th best 7-2.

Top 64 v/Darkrai/Absol
    Game 1.
    I end up falling down early, when I then get a crucial ko on the Darkrai that's active leaving him with no energy in play. He almost comes back by using the Bicycle Engine to draw lots of cards to try and win the game by getting all of his resources.
    1-0 Top Cut

Game 2.
    While I shuffle a sleeve breaks because of my shuffling and I have to replace every one of the sleeves because I used all my extras. I end up drawing dead, and losing because of all of my dead draws. I also learned my opponent was the Kansas State Champion.
    1-1 Top Cut

Game 3.
    I of course choose to go first in that game because, like, duh. We trade prizes until time is called when I have 2 Prizes left and he has 1 prize left. The first turn of time I calculate the damage from Absol, bench a Kyurem and then tie the game by knocking out Sableye. He knocks my Thundurus-EX out because I calculated the damage AND THEN, with forgetting the calculation, I bench the Kyurem.
    1-2 Top Cut

Props:
    Pulling like a sack in my 9 packs. Deoxys EX, Absol, Latios FA, Rock Guard.
    Making Top 64 out of about 330 people
    Giving me some confidence when I thought I was an average player
    The kid I lost to getting his invite because of my misplay
    No friends whiffing top
    2 Juniors from my state made Top 2

Slops:
    Too many misplays
    The noob was a bad sport
  2. camoclone

camoclone Tomorrow we strike...

I really enjoyed it! Congrats at top 64! You should probably put your deck list and a bit if an explanation at the beginning.
    cyndaquil likes this.
  3. Ziggmiceter

Ziggmiceter Ultimate 6P tournament procrastinator

1) It's not an article
    2) he clearly stated he doesn't want to give out his decklist
  4. camoclone

1) I never said it was an article
    2) quote where he says that
  5. Ziggmiceter

1) Why need an introduction if it's not an article? You're critiquing it like an article.
    Why would he give out his list if he's playing it for grinders?
  6. camoclone

1. Your right its not an article. Quote where I said he needed an introduction?
    2. I don't know... He might want feedback or something. That clearly isn't what you said either. You said that he CLEARLY said he wasn't going to give away his list. He didn't. He also didn't give away his name.
  7. Ziggmiceter

A bit of explanation at the beginning is an introduction
    It was pretty clear to me, normally when you say "I'm using my list for grinders" and never give a list it usually means you don't want to give out your list.
    Anyways, congrats on T64.
  8. tonenkyra

tonenkyra Squirtle Squad!

what is a grinder? and what does he mean, using it for grinders? sorry if I sound like a noob, I don't know much of the poke jargon:)
  9. camoclone

1. Not necessarily... Why have I only now realized that arguing with you is pointless?
    2. Ok you got me! Someone is going to memorize his list and when he plays a random TDK deck during grinders it will be used against him. When you play against a player at grinders called MewtwoEX let me know.
  10. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care

That may not be his real name.

There's nothing to argue about here. This obviously is not an article, just a quick report, and no-one needs a better reason than 'I don't want to' for not giving out their decklist.

MewtwoEX - congrats on the top cut.
  11. jordanlow

jordanlow Member

Great report and congrats but may i know what you meant when you said during Round 4 you drew a mulligan card and he took a prize? Sorry
  12. KPiplup

KPiplup An Imposter

He got a Prize Penalty for taking the mulligan before setting out his prizes.
  13. SheepInSpace

SheepInSpace Italian PokéDad

I'm not sure you're correct, I think he drew his additional card before putting down his basic Pokémon, not the prizes. Same difference really, though.

Oh, and congrats to Mewtwo!
  14. KPiplup

KPiplup An Imposter

^yeah, he's right, ignore me.
  15. tonenkyra

what is a grinder? or what is meant by mewtwo when he said, " will almost definitely using for grinders."
  16. PP101

PP101 The Swarm for 3 seconds then accidentally left

The Grinders is another name for the Last Chance Qualifier (LCQ) at Worlds.

Great job, MewtwoEX!
  17. MewtwoEX

MewtwoEX The Guy who Gets Sacked

Thank you guys.
  18. tonenkyra

Thanks, as i honestly didnt know.

And MewtwoEX, congrats!