New Formats Announded

Discussion in 'Pokemon TCG News & Gossip' started by hfechhelm, Jul 22, 2014.

1. hfechhelm

hfechhelm The Swarm

New formats for the 2014- 2015 season!
    Standerd or modified: BCR- On, with promo cards BW# 55- On!

Extended: BW- On, with promo cards BW# 01- On!
    desufnoc likes this.
  2. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

So Beach is gone. Happy to see it go for the sole fact that it was too expensive for me to get. But it'll still be good in Extended.

Skyla stays, which is fantastic. Landorus EX stays, which is sad.

Oh yeah, and N stays as well, because even though they are removing the sets he was printed in, they made a League promo of N which is actually BW99.
  3. Salamencetrainer34

Salamencetrainer34 An ogre-achiever

Its actually BW100

While I will probably board the Landorus Hype train, its gonna be a pain facing it. For the tough fact once you get Fight stadium, strong energy and band in play you are unstoppable.
  4. Yankeefan1985

Yankeefan1985 Member

I'm pinning the name now for Lucario and Landorus Star Wars
  5. Professor_N

Except with Landorus EX still in standard Lucario won't see much play most likely. Landorus EX is just so much better than Lucario EX. Sure, you can draw with it's second attack, but we have Items/Supporters for that.
  6. ThePirateKingAtomsk

ThePirateKingAtomsk Red Haze Stalker

They will be played along side either other much more than one trumping the other. Having to rely solely on supporters for resources is a big reason the power creep favored decks like Darkrai and Rain dancers w/ beach, it's not that great to have to rely on them for the chance of drawing into something you want. You want your once a turn cards to always be beneficial.

Not to say that people will just be using Lucario for draw, but him being able pay for the resources he consumed isn't something I can see anyone passing up.
    Gelato likes this.
  7. desufnoc

desufnoc Ditto used Transform!

Just noticed this topic says announded as opposed to announced lol
    Cobalt314 likes this.
  8. Otaku

Otaku Well-Known Member

Compare like versus like; Qwilfish says "whatever" and both survives being hit (placing 2 damage counters) but attacks back for 40 (80 with Muscle Band or 100 with Silver Bangle) and a Double Colorless Energy... then the Poison damage kicks in and Virbank City Gym means three more damage counters. Of course, its not as effective against most other comers, but I was just pointing out that while I don't consider it "great" for game balance, it isn't unstoppable. I also used the similar resources:
    • 1 Basic Pokémon (Qwilfish)
    • 1 Special Energy card (Double Colorless Energy)
    • 1 Pokémon Tool (Muscle Band or Silver Bangle)
    • 1 Stadium (Virbank City Gym)
  9. Professor_N

So what I'm reading here is Qwilfish is the new meta tech for beating Landorus EX. Cool.
    Salamencetrainer34 and Gelato like this.
  10. Otaku

Otaku Well-Known Member

Well, I did try not to oversell it. XD Re-reading what I wrote, I used way too many pronouns, so perhaps that confused things. >_<

Now if a deck is already "Qwiflish compliant", I am pretty sure it will become a legitimate metagame call. It can also smack Litleo for a decent amount (not with Silver Bangle, obviously) and Poison a Pyroar (unless its protected from Special Conditions, of course) while forcing it to take two damage counters for its Prize. Plus Qwilfish has been a decent generic opener since you can just throw it up front and ignore it while your opponent gets some damage on them from attacking into it.

I am assuming Suicune in decks that can build it quickly enough will also have Landorus-EX's number. A deck running Keldeo-EX and any source of (W) Energy can have a decent answer as well. At worst, it'll be like Yveltal-EX is now; amazing, but at the Top Cut everyone is probably packing a counter so the rest of the deck will have to do its part. Who knows, XY: Furious Fists has will still be a solid glass-cannon/Yveltal-EX counter in Dedenne; maybe Phantom Road or another later set will have a similarly useful Landorus-EX counter if it is really as good as some are making it out to be?
  11. ThePirateKingAtomsk

ThePirateKingAtomsk Red Haze Stalker

I really want to play Greninja still...but how the hell do we set up without level ball? Might actually need to play eggs :/
  12. SuperCrazyMan

SuperCrazyMan Badgers Are Cool

Can someone post a list of some of the good cards that are going to be rotated out for the people who are not up to date with which cards are in which sets?
  13. Tsunami

Tsunami Seems legit.

Dark patch, Accelgor, level ball, heavy ball, exp. share, foul play zoroark, Sableye, archeops, Ho-oh ex (I think), Rayquaza ex, giratina ex, reuniclus (damage swap).

This is a rough list, that may not be correct due to secret rare reprints. However, this is my best shot at what is getting rotated. I hope this helps!
  14. Salamencetrainer34

Salamencetrainer34 An ogre-achiever

Thats correct. We are also losing tropical beach (thank helix)
  15. KPiplup

KPiplup An Imposter

Tropical Beach's effect was good for the game. I expect a dramatic shift back to big basics with the loss of Level Ball and Tropical Beach.

The price tag was the problem.
  16. Professor_N

I completely agree it was good for the game. If it was made in a set then it would have been fantastic. I don't get the idea of making a really, really good card exclusive to people that do well in major events, but I'm sure that's not what they had planned.
  17. KPiplup

KPiplup An Imposter

I obviously don't know, but given the history of Worlds promos, I feel they likely didn't anticipate it being good.

If it had been printed during the DP early, that's probably a safe assumption. Being in BW made it much more useful due to the lack of useful support Pokemon/supporters.
  18. Otaku

Otaku Well-Known Member

I believe you're right but I believe that the-powers-that-be are ludicrously wrong. This isn't even the first time a World's promo made good, its just a combination of being the most recent and most egregious example. It is kind of a catch-22 for designing TCGs: if its almost impossible for it to cause problems, the fact that it is a problem reflects poorly on the company, and if isn't highly improbable to cause problems, why would they take the risk and try to print such a thing? Never intentionally design a "bad" card. Niche usage? Vanilla? Those have their place. "Safe bad" is a game of Russian roulette.
  19. KPiplup

KPiplup An Imposter

I would disagree. Neither Tropical Tidal Wave or Championship Arena saw any real competitive play, nor has Champion's Festival.
  20. Tax_collecter

Tax_collecter Active Member

Perhaps the Mega Kangaskhan Landorus deck that we saw a while back in Japan might be a meta deck now.