Organized Play & Tournament Q&A

Discussion in 'Organized Play Information & Tournament Reports' started by Tamoo, May 19, 2012.

1. Reshiphlosion

Reshiphlosion The Swarm

I have a question about Bo3 Swiss; I read that after a certain amount of players are reached that they'll have a second day where the top 25% of players from the first day play in a second Swiss tournament and then have a top 8 or something like that. Basically I want to know if this is true and if so how many players (Masters) need to attend in order to get a day 2?

I haven't actually been to any tournaments recently, so I'm still trying to figure out how the new tourney structure works. :p
  2. PP101

PP101 The Swarm for 3 seconds then accidentally left

You need 227 players in any division for Day 2. Day 2 is either the Top 32 players or all players X-2-0 and above (whichever is greater).
    Reshiphlosion likes this.
  3. Reshiphlosion

Reshiphlosion The Swarm

Thanks, that's actually a pretty good way of handling things from TPCI and makes me somewhat less scared of a Top 8 max. (Except for states where you get 100+ people of course...)

Edit: X-2-0 and above, does that mean if you already have two losses then you're not allowed to get any ties?
  4. KPiplup

KPiplup An Imposter

No, it means you need 21 match points (7 wins or 6 and 3 ties).

However, at every US Regional reaching 227 thusfar (everything east of Houston, nothing on the west coast), the cutoff has been 19 points due to the "or t32" provision. 18 has made it, but in sparing amounts.
  5. Reshiphlosion

Reshiphlosion The Swarm

Ah I see, I guess that I didn't understand the concept of match points very well. So then with some basic division I'm guessing that a win is 3 points, a tie is 1 point, and a loss is zero points? It's finally clicking in my mind, thanks for the help! :D
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
    Salamencetrainer34 likes this.
  6. hfechhelm

hfechhelm The Swarm

How long do states last if 30 seniors go
  7. Reshiphlosion

Reshiphlosion The Swarm

I think that would be 5 rounds of Bo3 Swiss (50 minutes + 3) and a Top 8 cut. The amount of time you spend at the tournament will depend on several things, if you do well and make Top Cut you'll end up staying for longer. It also can depend on how efficient the Judges are and how many people go into time each round. But generally speaking Swiss will last for around 4-6 hours and Top Cut will most likely be an extra 2-4 hours.
  8. Seniors is Bo1 30 Minutes.
  9. Reshiphlosion

Reshiphlosion The Swarm

Really? I could've sworn that the Seniors at RI States were doing Bo3 Swiss...
  10. VA was Bo1. I dunno if it's different in RI, but I assume it was the same.
  11. hfechhelm

hfechhelm The Swarm

So what is that if it is 30+3 best of 1.
    4 and a half hours minamum
  12. Reshiphlosion

Reshiphlosion The Swarm

Yeah, 4.5 hours is probably the minimum time you'd spend at a tournament.
  13. 1 Hour Registration, plus 30-45 minutes between registration and round 1, plus at least five rounds, and figure 45-50 minutes per round.
  14. KPiplup

KPiplup An Imposter

It's up to the PTO whether to run Bo1 or Bo3 in Seniors.

I am unaware of New Jersey's choice.
  15. Roguechomp

Roguechomp Active Member

Seniors in RI was Bo3 Swiss, it is up to the PTO, at NJ I'd estimate around 26 seniors considering PA is the same day, so that'd be 5 rounds, T8.
  16. Gelato

Gelato The Swarm

Yeah Rhode Island Seniors was BO3 I played in it so I would know :p
  17. hfechhelm

hfechhelm The Swarm

Ok, so it would be a one day thing, and might be 5-8 rounds, excluding top cut. Anyone else going to Nj states?
    Roguechomp likes this.
  18. Roguechomp

Roguechomp Active Member

I'm going to NJ, but like I said I can nearly guarantee 5 rounds, with a small chance of 6 (excluding Top cut). It would be a one day thing. Last year, it was 6 rounds, T8, but that was with a lot of people from PA, which we won't have due to PA States being on the same day.
  19. hfechhelm

hfechhelm The Swarm

See you there, what age bracket are you?
  20. Roguechomp

Roguechomp Active Member

I'm in Seniors.