“Out of the Frying Pan and into the Flashfire” – Stories from States and Regionals with...

Discussion in 'UG Article Talk' started by JayHornung, Apr 18, 2014.

1. JayHornung

JayHornung Active Member

Professor_N likes this.
  2. Willyazaa

Willyazaa New Member

Great article! In the Charizard list, you said you were running the M Zard that discarded the top 5 instead of damaging itself....isn't that the dragon one? If so, don't you need dark energies to attack with it?
    Professor_N likes this.
  3. JayHornung

JayHornung Active Member

Wilyazaa: Yes you are 100% right I would have to run 2 dark energy. I honestly didn't even notice the dark in the attack this might actually make it a good idea to split the mega's at 1-1. The weakness to Fairy also really through me for a loop as well. The cards seem to be going in weird directions now with as far as attack requirements and weakness. Perhaps this follows the video game more closely (I don't follow the video game as much) or perhaps this is Pokemon trying to push certain sets/types more.
    Willyazaa likes this.
  4. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

First off, I loved reading the article! I think it has a lot of great information, and I agree 100% about everything you had to say about Flash Fire. I have a few questions for you, if you don't mind me asking them.

With Raichu in Virizion/Genesect, do you think that the Lugia (speed and not speed) is a favorable match up for Virizion/Genesect?

Out of curiosity, what kind of watch did you wear? Not like what brand or anything, but did the watch have some sort of stopwatch built into it so you could press it when the time starts and very easily keep track of the time (although this sounds against the rules...), or was it just an average watch that you looked at what time it was when the round started and then when you wanted to know the time left you remembered when the round started and added how much time it has been since the start?
  5. JayHornung

JayHornung Active Member

Professor_N: Thank you the positive feedback means a lot to me and of course not I love questions!

Honestly yes I do feel the match up is favorable because I feel the deck trades favorably with everything besides Lugia. I lost all 4 games I played against speed Lugia variations with 2 of the 4 being "semi close." I believe had I played Raichu and Sigilyph (something I stole from Dylan I want to start really testing now as well) I would have won all 4 of those games. I also lost in the finals of a "win a box" against kid playing a teched out Ho-Oh list. The game was actually quite close and the odds were in my favor as all I needed was my last Shadow Triad to win the game with a 14 card deck and Electrode in play. I wiffed it for 4 turns with constant N's going off back and forth and drawing up to 4 every turn. Having Raichu I'm sure the game would have been over much earlier, since I quickly went up 4 prizes, but I had bad discards forcing me to get rid of 3 Plasma Energy and 1 Triad early. The last 2 prizes it what did me in as he was able to hid behind Safe Guard attackers and he also hit both of his Catcher Heads...the second one being game winning.

I just wore a cheap gas station watch...I would certainly put a bit more effort into getting a watch I'd like for Nationals. I'm not 100% but I believe I read somewhere that you can't have a stop watch. I looked at it at the start and figured when the 50 minute mark was and than would glance at it occasionally to kind of keep myself on pace.
  6. Professor_N

Alright thanks for answering those questions. If you were to run Sigilyph in your Virizion/Genesect would you also be inclined to run Psychic or Blend GRPD Energy and maybe a Deoxys EX? Or would you just be using it for Safe Guard stall to get some stuff set up since you have SAB anyways?
  7. areuter

areuter Member

Can't you use the fire Mega Charizard but put a protect cube on it? You could pair it with Emboar LTR and spam 300 damage by hopefully T3. Do you think it's viable?
  8. Professor_N

Personally I wouldn't think it would need Emboar with all the Fire Energy acceleration in this set, would it?
  9. areuter

areuter Member

True, thanks for the advice!
  10. JayHornung

JayHornung Active Member

Professor_N: No I wouldnt just because it's a wall more than an attacker. Dylan did a great job of explaining it in his last article, but basically he talked about how turns would come up where you needed to just buy yourself a turn while you set up a big play. I noticed the same thing as well at Regionals I would often just need one more turn and being able to hid behind something like Sigilyph would have been really nice.

Areuter: I feel if your going to go to all the trouble of playing Emboar than you might as well just playing Rayquaza EX over Charizard as you don't need to mega evolve to get big damage. Charizards biggest advantage is how little it takes to actually set up imo.
  11. areuter

areuter Member

Thanks for the advice, but I just really like the idea of being able to use Charizard in a competitive deck. I just saw the scans when they came out and thought that M Charizard Y just had excellent synergy with Protect Cube. As Professor_N said, the acceleration could come from things like Blacksmith and Flame Torch. Do you think that it'd be viable?
  12. JayHornung

JayHornung Active Member

Depends on what you mean by viable to be honest. Could you make a decent deck with Emboar and Charizard? The honest is of course you can since there is synergy there, but I don't think it's the best way to run it. I'd either play Emboar/Rayquaza or Speed Charizard since the only real advantage I see is that it's weak to Dragons.