Pursuing the Truth in a New Format: What’s Right?

Discussion in 'UG Article Talk' started by Kettler, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Kettler

Kettler Active Member

2. Empoleon1107

Empoleon1107 The one and only Gangsta

Great article. Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend Regionals, so I have been testing for the new format with the new rule changes. Any thoughts on decks that may make a comeback because of the changes coming into effect, essentially after Regionals?
  3. lexdandrea

lexdandrea New Member

This was a really great article to read! I enjoyed everything thing you talked about! Keep up the great work!
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  4. Kettler

Kettler Active Member

Empoleon: Thanks! Like I say in the article, bench sitters like Reuniclus and Dusknoir suddenly become halfway playable again. In addition, nearly every evolution deck is stronger because hugely aggressive openings for the players going first don't exist anymore.

Also, the effect that getting a prize in one less turn has so many further-reaching implications. The momentum of your subsequent turns is less because you didn't draw a prize, more games go to time, more well thought-out plays...This is definitely a win for the more "chess-oriented" players.

lexdandrea: Thanks, as well!
  5. Empoleon1107

Empoleon1107 The one and only Gangsta

Empoleon/Dusknoir is a deck I am keeping on my radar, as well as Gardevoir/Gallade, both being strong decks that before lacked speed, but now, especially with Bangle, these decks should make a strong return.
  6. Kettler

Kettler Active Member

Gardevoir/Gallade is interesting. Under the current rules, it's pretty horrible, but an extra turn to evolve means a much better chance of getting two Stage Twos into play. It's not the same as it was when you could Rare Candy on the first turn, but it's much better than the alternative.
  7. Saturn

Saturn Member

Do you know what people will be doing with Pokemon Catcher now Reversal? Is Ninetails worth putting into decks or Escape rope or will the 3-4 cards just put else where? Or will people just continue to play with it?
  8. Kettler

Kettler Active Member

If the past has anything to tell us, Escape Rope should play a much larger role. Had it been legal after the mid-season rotation back in 2011, it would've been big too, since people were desperate to play around Baby flips.
    lexdandrea likes this.
  9. coryc1

coryc1 New Member

John - why ultra ball in the plasma build that had no non-plasma pokemon? Do you think that is valuable to thunderus acceleration or should it have been another team plasma ball?
  10. Kettler

Kettler Active Member

Cory: The sole Ultra Ball is in there specifically for that reason. This is in case you draw a Thundurus/Skyla opening.
  11. lexdandrea

lexdandrea New Member

John - What is your opinion on Stunfisk plus Silver Bangle, instead of Terrakion? It can deal 100 turn 1 to a Thundurus or a Darkrai EX. Also it snipes 20 to the bench. I have been a big fan of this combo for a while and I thought I would ask your opinion on it.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  12. Kettler

Kettler Active Member

I talk about this in the "Terrakion VS Stunfisk" section (assuming both Stunfisk and Terrakion run Bangle, which they should). I feel Terrakion is more generally useful, while Stunfisk is more aggressive and more specifically useful.
    lexdandrea likes this.
  13. lexdandrea

lexdandrea New Member

Ok thanks! I agree with you now that I have tested stunfisk and terrakion. Terrakion gets the job done very smoothly vs Darkrai. Thanks again!
  14. Kettler

Kettler Active Member

Good news, everyone!

"2014 Play! Pokémon TCG Rules and Formats
    New Section 8 called “Match Resolution during Swiss Rounds”
    Section 8.3: Determining the Outcome of an Unresolved, Best-of-Three Match

Game 1
    • If the last turn ends during game 1, the match results in a tie.
    • If time is called after game 1 has been resolved but before the starting player for a Sudden Death game has been determined, the match results in a tie.
    • If time is called after the game 1 winner has been determined but before the starting player for game 2 has been determined, the winner of game 1 wins the match.

Game 2
    • If the last turn ends during game 2, the winner of game 1 wins the match.
    • If time is called after game 2 has been resolved but before the starting player for a Sudden Death game has been determined, the winner of game 1 wins the match.
    • If time is called after the game 2 winner has been determined but before the starting player for game 3 has been determined, the match results in a tie.

Game 3
    • If the last turn ends during game 3, the match results in a tie.
    • If time is called after game 3 has been resolved but before the starting player for a Sudden Death game has been determined, the match results in a tie."

So long story short, my entire section of this article remains good! While I was wrong about the rules for game one, the main point still applies.