Salamence Hand Disruption

Discussion in 'Deck Help & Development' started by Gelatin, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Gelatin

Gelatin So soft and jiggly.

So I've been jonesing to play this deck for a while for League, since my next big tourney is Cities in December, and was wondering if I could get some suggestions to make this remotely playable.

[insert deck list here when I can get home and get something together]

EDIT: Check dat decklist, yo

3 Kyurem NVI
    2 Mewtwo EX
    3-1-3 Salamence DRV

4 Hooligans Jim & Cas
    4 Cheren
    4 N
    2 Professor Juniper

4 Catcher
    4 Ultra Ball
    3 Rare Candy
    2 Switch
    2 Exp. Share

7 Water
    4 Fire
    4 DCE

The main strategy would be to use Salamence from Dragon Vault to cut your opponents hand to 4 and make it hard for them to get anything going. Works in a similar fashion as Baltoy DRX but instead of being an attack for [C][C] it's an ability on a Stage 2. With even more hand shenanigans with Hooligans Jim and Cas

The main attackers I was thinking of were Kyurem NVI and Mewtwo EX with a mix of Water, Fire, and DCE as far as energy goes.

Hopefully we can get some comments and suggestions flowing since I think this is a really interesting deck idea.
  2. RisingDawn

RisingDawn #1 Oshawott fan! :0<

Gothitelle with Mursharna? It would be clunky but fun. Otherwise I'd suggest Terrakion/Terrakion EX and run it like a typical counter deck.
  3. TacoTurtle

TacoTurtle So good, I'm bad.

Hmmm... I've been thinking a lot about Salamence lately as well. I came up with a rough idea of Darkrai/Salamence/Honchkrow DRX a couple of weeks ago... They goal would be to limit their hand with Mence and attack with Honchkrow to put their hand count to only three cards. A bonus is that Honchknow resists fighting types (a bonus when Terrkions are running around killing your Darkrais) and with a Dark Claw Honchkrow is dealing that magical number of 90 damage, 2HKOing everything while still disrupting. Using Darkrai gives Mence and your other Pokes free retreat, and also gives you a solid attack to use. To top it off, you could try to use Hooligans and bring them to no hand if you're lucky.
    The main problems I see are the cost of Honchkrow's main attack and it's frail HP. It has some faults, but I don't see a better Pokemon that can disrupt and deal respectable damage to fit into the deck.
  4. Ziggmiceter

Ziggmiceter Ultimate 6P tournament procrastinator

I've always wanted to try out this card, I was thinking more of a Hammertime variant. Honchkrow and Hooligans Jim & Cas would be awesome since a heads on Hooligans means they have no hand EVERY turn. Juniper topdeck? Well, you're going to have to make a heck of a play right now to keep that hand there. I see a small problem with using N in this deck, though.
  5. TacoTurtle

Yeah, N might cause problems late game. If you N your opponent into something like a two card hand, Salamence becomes useless. Early game I actually kind of like it though, especially if you have two Salamences in play. N take a few cards out of their hand, N to give them six new cards, then make them discard two more of them. Hammers would be good for added disruption, especially if you don't have a Dark Claw on Honchkrow and you aren't getting KO's as fast as you would like.

As a side note, I could forsee Salamence being pretty strong when Plasma Gale is released, as Colress solves the N problem and Magnezone gives you a draw supporter AND a chance at Hooligans. And I'm sure you could find a disruptive attacker or a big basic to shove in... it'd be something worth filing away, at least.
  6. Gelatin

Can't really go wrong by pairing bench-warmers up with Terrakion. He's just a really good attacker.

Honchkrow sounds like a fun choice though. With maybe Sableye and Darkrai, we can emulate a very cluttered Hammer Time deck with the added Hooligans. I think I'll go with that, actually.

2-2 Honchkrow DRX
    3-1-3 Salamence DRV
    2 Darkrai EX
    2 Sableye DEX

4 Hooligans Jim & Cas
    4 Professor Juniper
    4 Cheren

4 Pokemon Catcher
    4 Ultra Ball
    4 Dark Patch
    3 Rare Candy
    3 Crushing Hammer
    3 Enhanced Hammer
    2 Random Receiver

10 Darkness Energy

This list is probably WAY bad but that's what the forums are there for: to iron out all the bad :p
    Reclamation likes this.
  7. Ziggmiceter

An idea for any type of Hammertime deck: 1-1 Drifblim DRX.
    Also, that list isn't too bad, actually. I might bring it to League next week just cause.
    TacoTurtle likes this.
  8. eggrolls

eggrolls The future of this society. Or not.

i like the idea of hammer time with salamence and drifblim, especially since it can still fit in some sort of basic attacker, probably darkrai EX, and since salamence is dragon type, you might be able to use that 90 damage attack to ko other dragons like rayquaza and giratina EX and hydreigon and Rayquaza EX, which could be powered up by terrakion EX, and if you don't want to attack with salamence and risk it getting koed, you can just use rayquaza or the new kyurem or the new kyurem EXes to attack instead.
  9. TacoTurtle

Man, I really wish Salamence and Garboder could work at the same time. :p

I like both the lists Gelatin! I really want to try a variant of Honchkrow/Salamence now (although I would have to buy some Darkrai tins, since I'm not playing him ATM), and really just pairing him up with some attacks sounds pretty nice due to the disruption he can cause. Also, aside from needing 4 Energy Mence really isn't a terrible attacker at all...

BTW, this thread helped me make up my mind on whether to buy some Dragons Vault or not. Rayquaza and Salamence are worth it, and I really want the holo trainers so my deck can be all shiny. :p
  10. coolestman22

coolestman22 Now Has Techron

I think any Kyurem deck needs 4 Exp. Share.

Etherdex is welcomed too.
    Gelatin likes this.
  11. Reclamation

Reclamation Part of the entourage

I would say -4 Hooligans jim & cas
    +4 N

Just no.

I also think Dark claw and tool scrapper deserve 2 spaces each in this list, and maybe add in DCE to make honchkrows energy cost not such a pain?

Turning honchkrows 70 into 90 could be huge for 2HKO's
  12. Ziggmiceter

13. coolestman22

Better than having 8 draw supporters.
  14. TacoTurtle

I think N should be played, but maybe not at four and used mainly in the early game... And probably only 2 Hooligans. I'm not sure I want to dedicate four slots to them, and putting your opponent at a 3-card had with Honchkrow and Mence is still quite disruptive. Maybe use 4 Juniper, 4 Cheren, 2-3 N, and 2 Hooligans? IDK, different numbers warrant testing.
  15. superw8

superw8 Did you?

I wonder if it would be a good pair for swoodevoir
  16. Gelatin

EtherDex with Kyurem would be fun and I feel that could be a separate project of mine.

Hooligans is for maximum fun times so I'll keep him "for the lulz"
    TacoTurtle likes this.
  17. Bulbasaur11

Bulbasaur11 Bull-buh-soar

Love Salemence. Was my absalute favorite card back a long time ago.... Had like 100 something attack. Used to be HUGE for me...
  18. eggrolls

anybody thought of salamence/magnezone? magnezone for the jim and cas part, plus a draw supporter per turn, then just add some basics attackers like terrakion EX or sigilyph or registeel EX. seems fun. salamence was also tricky to get in ruby sapphire and emerald, cuz you had to go all the way to the end of a really complex mountain cave to get a bagon, then level it up like 40 more levels before you got the salamence. took me a while, but totally worth it to get the dragon.
  19. coolestman22

Magnezone is in Plasma Gale.
  20. eggrolls

then play it later. the point isn't when it comes out.