Scary Realization: Snorlax Lock is a thing.

Discussion in 'Deck Help & Development' started by Zarco, May 27, 2013.

1. Zarco

Zarco Alternate format enthusiast

Snorlax+Lasers+tons of trainers. Absurd, right?
    RIGHT?
    Nope. It works really well, and is very scary indeed.
    It's very slow paced, but has a few big advantages:
    1. Snorlax is bulky, and only gives up 1 prize.
    2. It outright beats retreat-reliant decks, especially Gothgor (which is becoming a big threat to prepare for). I beat a guy by simply catchering up a Munna after he drew about 5 mulligan cards, and decking him out.
    3. People don't know how to play against Snorlax, and will still play down things like Keldeo+Float Stone.
    4. Lasers are really good if you hadn't noticed, and will actually KO EXs coming back into your turn. (you only want to catcher up EXs; this deck has trouble against non-EX decks)
    5. Energyless decks are very consistent and have space for tons of stuff.

My initial list:
    4 Snorlax

4 Skyla
    4 Shadow Triad
    3 Juniper
    3 N
    2 Bianca
    1 Colress
    1 Cheren
    1 Random Receiver

4 Virbank

3 Eviolite
    1 Rocky Helmet (testing)
    4 Crushing Hammer
    2 Enhanced Hammer
    3 Heavy Ball
    4 Laser
    4 Catcher
    4 Max Potion
    3 Recycle (looking for a 4th to put in, but it's not mandatory)
    3 Revive
    1 Tool Scrapper (might go to 2 just in case, though that might be paranoid)
    1 Dowsing Machine ACE SPEC
    Last edited: May 27, 2013
    Otaku likes this.
  2. Serperior

Serperior Well-Known Member

Shouldn't it have some soft counter against big basics? Landorus EX can 2HKO with one laser.
  3. Zarco

Eviolite helps a bit, I guess... it's sort of relying on the fact that Kyurem PF can beat Landorus really easily.
  4. blargh257

blargh257 Is now Dedede.

Add another Tool Scrapper or you'll probably be killed by Garbodor.
    Furthermore I can't see how this would beat Blastoise.
  5. Zarco

I'll probably add the second scrapper in. As for Blastoise, you do basically lose, but 1 autoloss is a small price to pay for a deck that autowins a whole lot.
  6. eggrolls

eggrolls The future of this society. Or not.

You should at least play some energies so you can attack.
  7. eggrolls

eggrolls The future of this society. Or not.

Zarco wanna playtest on PlayTCG.com?
  8. Zarco

You need 5 whole energy to attack (and 4 to retreat), so it's not something you can just kind of do on the side; it would change the focus of the deck. Even then it'd take too much space and effort for a rare attack, and 5 for a max of 120 (often less) isn't that good. I much prefer the advantages of being energyless.

I've been playing on PTCGO, and the fact that this works is bumming me out so I'm doing other things now. But, thanks for the offer!
    eggrolls likes this.
  9. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care

Goth Lock mullers this deck unless they are stupid enough to play Munna or Duskull (or are forced to start with one).

They can just leave Goth active, attach 2 DCE and chip away at Snorlax. It might take forever, but you can't retreat/damage/heal so eventually you will lose.
    KPiplup likes this.
  10. Angry_Brother

Angry_Brother Almost any 6p member is ueban

And Plasma that based on switches also is almost autowin.
  11. Zarco

You can simply catcher up something they played down before realizing what your deck was, or just get an Eviolite out and deck them.

Plasma doesn't have enough switches to win, I don't think. The most I've seen is 2 or 3, and as long as you can force them to waste switches by catchering Deoxys, you should be able to stall them. You DO have access to at least 9-10 lasers if need be.
  12. baby_mario

You can't play Catcher if Goth is active.

If they don't Bench Munna or Duskull before Goth is out, you lose. You can't rely on them to deck when they can just draw/pass/play N once they have a Goth.

A match up where you rely exclusively on a poor start/tragic misplays/ignorance in order to win is never going to be favourable. Even the deck's creators acknowledge that the match up is bad.
    eggrolls likes this.
  13. blargh257

blargh257 Is now Dedede.

I just played against this with Accelgor.
    I stupidly benched a Shelmet.
    GG
  14. cabd

cabd Taking over for Tamoo as the girly looking mod.

But you can evolve and deck/cover?
  15. blargh257

blargh257 Is now Dedede.

Oh, I should have said Munna. I benched that as well.
  16. galladeava

galladeava Disapproving Clown

So it was a made up anecdote? gg no re.
  17. blargh257

blargh257 Is now Dedede.

No, it actually happened.
  18. Zarco

They can't get a T1 Goth (and often not even T2). Even then, you win that matchup just like Gothgor wins many of its matchups: one mistake can be the end, and not knowing how to play against Snorlax will make you lose.
  19. baby_mario

They don't need a T1 or even a T2 Goth. All they need is a Goth because once it hits you do zero damage (they evolve out of Poison), and you can't heal or retreat.

Player ignorance will likely get you wins on playtcg/PTCGO but relying on it in a tournament? That's very silly. There really isn't anything for them to misplay if they don't bench Munna/Duskull before the lock.

I like the deck, I think it's neat and clever, but I'm not blind to its faults.
  20. Zarco

Neither am I. It's definitely not unbeatable, and if you are prepared for it, it's not even good. Most people, though, will misplay against it. GothGor in particular often benches all of its basics before the flip, so there's a solid chance that you can catcher something up, or at the very least get in a position to deck them out. It's far from an autowin for EITHER side.