Side board...

Discussion in 'Pokemon TCG News & Gossip' started by JasonRox, Apr 20, 2014.

1. JasonRox

JasonRox Kyurem Trainer

Magic has this.

Imagine. A six card side board. Can change the game big time.

What do you think?
  2. Gelato

Gelato The Swarm

I don't really like it a lot. It discourages decks from having one set strategy that can be focused on, and promotes sloppy deck building.
    onlyinAMERICA and Otaku like this.
  3. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

I don't know much about Magic, but this doesn't sound that great for this game in particular. I don't really know how a "side board" works, but I feel like it wouldn't work well with the Prize card concept being the win condition of the game. It makes perfect sense in a game with a "life total" concept, as the side board could likely attack any player, but in this game it just doesn't make sense.
  4. ShinyEevee

ShinyEevee The not so shiny

I like the idea a lot. I wished for it big time when I first started playing. But I've become accustom to playing pokemon as it is now.
    I agree with the first part but in no way does it promote sloppy deck building. Why do you think that it would?
    What? A side board is a collection of cards that are not part of your deck. After the first match in a best 2 out of 3 game you may then exchange cards from your regular deck with your side deck to alter the strategy and answers.

For example if this were a thing in pokemon people would likely have 1 tools scrapper in their main board and 3 in their side board. After the first game they would decide how many they want. (go to 4 against garb and genesect and 0 against things without a lot of tools) or being able to put in a few "answer" pokemon attackers.

But the deck isn't like a separate player. Its just possible cards that you can exchange with your normal 60 cards to better adjust to whatever deck you face against.

The main objection I would have against it is that the pokemon tcg is VERY matchup oriented and this would ruin it. Anyone would be able to tech in any answer they want against any archetype they want.
  5. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

I wasn't saying that the deck is a separate player. I was saying that creatures in that deck could attack any enemy player (I say "any" because Planeswalkers in Magic are considered "players" for some reason). Like I said I didn't know how a side deck worked, I was assuming it was something that you could use during a match.
  6. ShinyEevee

ShinyEevee The not so shiny

Well during a match yes but its between games.
  7. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care

The sideboard idea is always being brought up.

It will never happen because Pokemon (unlike Magic) is primarily targetted at younger players, and a sideboard introduces an unnecessary complication. Imagine all the juniors getting Game Loss because they didn't re-set their decks between rounds.

I also happen to dislike the idea because Pokemon decks (again, unlike Magic) have so many cards in common. You wouldn't need a very big sideboard to be able to convert your deck to a serious extent.

Also, do you really want to lose some more time between games in b-o-3? It's hard enough to finish a series as it is.
    onlyinAMERICA likes this.
  8. Otaku

Otaku Well-Known Member

Side decks/boards are a terrible idea for Pokémon.

Remember, this is the game that developed "TecH", where you learned how to add in single cards to deal with problems without seriously compromising your deck's reliability.

I barely learned how to play Magic, so I've got no experience with Side Decks/Boards there. I played Yu-Gi-Oh for years, however, and since that game has even less of a resource system than Pokémon (and is closer to Pokémon in that sense than Magic), what it does is make it harder on players and designers to keep things balanced and fresh. Unless better game design and management skill on behalf of the-powers-that-be as well as having a player base willing and able to handle the way this changes the game... its going to be a train wreck.

Time is short, so I'll have to rely a bit heavily on an example to clarify: in Yu-Gi-Oh (while I played) there were more than a few times when fun and/or effective cards you'd think would become the foundation for one (or several) decks were released and... nothing came of them because Card X or Card Y were easy counters; even lacking the draw/search options of Pokémon (again, at the time) it was easy enough to Side In three copies of Card X or Card Y. That may not sound like much... but this was usually on top of an entire other deck still intact and functional doing its thing.

Imagine what a Side Board would do to the game now; a lot of "lesser" decks do have "kryptonite" vulnerabilities (they get weaker and die from exposure) versus the "silver bullet" vulnerabilities where you still have to "hit" them effectively for it to matter.
  9. JasonRox

JasonRox Kyurem Trainer

If the side board was only 6 cards, that would be enough to make it fun. And allow only for the Master Division so the younger players need not worry.

If Magic is doing fine with side boards and best of 3 games like Pokemon, I don't see why Pokemon can't do it.

I hear many whiners about the game formats now but I heard it's the same in Magic.
  10. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care

Magic does a lot of things Pokemon doesn't do and vice versa. They are different games with different audiences and very different business models. That will never be a convincing argument.

I don't like the idea of changing the rules for the age groups either. The game does have some issues in my opinion, but sideboard would fix exactly none of them. As otaku pointed out it would most likely make things worse.
    Otaku and onlyinAMERICA like this.
  11. Otaku

Otaku Well-Known Member

As stated, I didn't play much of Magic: The Gathering but that game being what it is, one reads, hears, and sees a lot about it. The resource structure in Pokémon is significantly different, including how draw and search power play out. In the current format, whether you consider it good or bad, six cards can change a deck. As mentioned in my earlier post, even one card in a Side Board/Side Deck is enough to replace TecH, something that is one of the defining skills of a champion Pokémon player.

Imagine swapping out unneeded TecH to get alternate TecH (or just running more of what is technically no longer Tech =P) that guts your opponent's strategy. It is bad enough facing an auto-loss match-up as is, but adding Side Board/Decks won't fix the problem. Change it perhaps, but not fix it.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014