Site Redesign

Discussion in 'SixPrizes Stuff' started by Adam, Oct 23, 2012.

1. StrongRhino

StrongRhino 6P fantasy football champ 2013!

My iPod is generation 4 if that helps.
  2. Empoleon1107

Empoleon1107 The one and only Gangsta

The new Site is a total improvement.
  3. Adam

Adam Noice bruv, innit.

Thanks Empoleon1107!

I added some new styling so that links for articles you've viewed will turn purple. I was thinking of making it just a lighter blue, but am trying purple since that's what Google uses. I figure doing this might help people keep track of what they have/haven't read.
    Empoleon1107 likes this.
  4. eggrolls

eggrolls The future of this society. Or not.

One thing I think would be really cool would be to allow site viewers to customize the webpage to their likings by being able to change the background colors of the different sections of the website, like Newly Published, Top Rated, and Recent Discussion, along with the actual background of the full page. Then they could save their customizations to their user accounts, so the website would look like that every time they logged back in. The different types of customizations could be stuff like color changes, rearrangement of the sections, etc. What do you think?
  5. sibon

sibon official pajama cardinal

That sounds like it would be difficult to implement, especially re-arranging columns. I don't really see a huge need for custom backgrounds either to be honest.

A nice idea in theory, but I doubt it would be worth Adams time. I might be totally wrong on this however, and it would be kind of cool to have. Adam?
    Empoleon1107 and eggrolls like this.
  6. Adam

Adam Noice bruv, innit.

Background colors are likely not changing. You'd be surprised how crappy the site would look very quickly with the colors changed – coming up with a nice balance is hard! If I let you guys change stuff you'd probably end up going back to the defaults.

It's definitely feasible to do all that stuff, I just don't know how much demand there is and if it would be worth my time like sibon said. Rearranging sections might be neat, but I think it's more my job to put the right stuff in the right places so nothing needs to be changed. It's a neat idea though eggrolls!

One idea I've been thinking about today is logging which articles you've viewed so I can make sure to always show different ones in the sidebars that you haven't seen yet. Kinda like how YouTube will show you similar videos you haven't watched.

What I really want to do first is dim articles that you've viewed already so you can quickly tell what's new. I can change the link color easily, but dimming the whole section seems tricky and that's what I'm researching right now. It would look something like this:

2012-11-02_2140.png
  7. PP101

PP101 The Swarm for 3 seconds then accidentally left

I like it, Adam! :D

And, for the record, I'd love to be able to customize the page's colors; I think that'd be really fun. :D
    eggrolls likes this.
  8. sibon

Yet again, my written content resides in the top right of your screen shot. It's a conspiracy.

I'm definitely a fan of the fading idea, it looks very nice, on top of being convenient.
  9. PP101

PP101 The Swarm for 3 seconds then accidentally left

"Defiantly" a fan? Or "definitely" a fan? Big difference there, sibon . :/
    coolestman22 likes this.
  10. sibon

Damn it spell check! You're supposed to cover for me when I'm tired...
  11. tokyovampire

tokyovampire Starpower!

Props on the new site Adam. It is definitely looking good, and I love the lack of adds on the site. When you get around to it, I am definitely looking forward to buying some 6P dice.:)
    Adam likes this.
  12. ussgordoncaptain

ussgordoncaptain Skeptical of new cards

I was so close to taking control of wordpress but then I decided not to.
  13. Adam

Adam Noice bruv, innit.

I'm not sure what you mean.
  14. sibon

Some kind of corporate takeover perhaps? I'm really not sure what you mean either...
  15. coolestman22

coolestman22 Now Has Techron

Hacking, obviously.
  16. ussgordoncaptain

ussgordoncaptain Skeptical of new cards

When i went to sixprizes.com
    I was sent to wordpress.sixprizes.com
    From there it told me to make the admin account for Wordpress
    eggrolls likes this.
  17. Adam

Adam Noice bruv, innit.

I was configuring some things for a few minutes this morning, guess I should have disabled the site. Didn't realize something like that would have happened. You wouldn't have had access to anything anyway, but thanks for not trying to take advantage of it.
  18. sibon

Btw guys, If you don't like the design of the site, you can use this to make persistent changes to it.

I made this:

[​IMG]
  19. Bleak

Bleak Glorious beacon of light

If I had the ability to change the colors on the website, I'd do everything I could to make it look like GeoCities to drive Adam insane.

Then I'd send him emails asking when I'd receive my reward for being the millionth visitor to the site.
  20. Adam

Adam Noice bruv, innit.

sibon what is that... thing?

Bleak GeoCities... hah! I actually once had a GeoCities site dedicated to Dragonball Z and Worms Armageddon. Those were the days.
    tokyovampire and Bleak like this.