State of the Forum

Discussion in 'SixPrizes Stuff' started by Adam, May 4, 2014.

1. Adam

Adam Noice bruv, innit.

As some of you may have noticed, a second forum was installed here about a month ago. The "BBS" software has a number of features that this Xenforo software is missing, and I feel it's built on better technology with the future in mind.

Besides improved functionality, I'm also able to integrate it with the front page a heck of a lot better than I ever could with any other forum software we've used, which will make the site feel less segmented and I'm hoping this helps strengthen the idea of this being a community. Login issues that have plagued users will also be gone after I get everything completely set up.

These current forums will stick around, though I will soon disable new registrations, and I've already changed the "Forums" link on the front page to lead to the BBS. I'm basically going to be encouraging people to use the BBS instead from now on, since I've got most integrations in place. At some point these forums may become read-only (no new posts or topics will be allowed).

If you have any question about where things are heading or you have any feedback, please let me know! I'll be going through pretty much every part of 6P the next couple months and improving what I can.
  2. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

I personally think that these forums "feel" a little bit better than the BBS, but I can get used to it I suppose. It's probably just because we've used forums forever, and since the BBS is so different it feels worse than the good ol' forums.

I'm glad to hear that pesky log in problem will be gone, because Chrome still can't load the log in page (for both the FP and the BBS).
    Serperior likes this.
  3. Salamencetrainer34

Salamencetrainer34 An ogre-achiever

We will get a warning before the read only is implemented, right?
  4. Adam

Adam Noice bruv, innit.

I will admit these forums do feel nice, but give yeah, give some time to the other forums. Having to click to the next page feels really weird on here once you've used the BBS software for a while.

Do you have any add-ons installed on Chrome? I'm getting a feeling that's why the login might not be even loading for you.
    Yes. That won't be happening for a while though.
  5. OshaWaterBottle

OshaWaterBottle Active Member

Please tell me these forums will stay or awhile. BBS is kindof hard to navigate around and find certain things.
    Adam likes this.
  6. Professor_N

The only thing that is enabled under "Extensions" is Google Docs, and that's pretty much the only thing I have added onto Chrome.
  7. niccoide199cp

niccoide199cp New Member

I approve BBS, but all of the content I find in here i won't find there, is it right? I mean, BBS is like starting a new forum out of the blue, isn't it?
  8. Professor_N

I am pretty sure Adam is working on finding a way to move all the forum posts over there, or something.
  9. Adam

Adam Noice bruv, innit.

BBS is a new start. I don't have any way to import posts over, and I'm not sure I want to anyway. (I'd rather let this forum remain as is for archival purposes.) The 2013-2014 season for a lot of players is going to be over in a couple months, so I think the timing is decent for change.
  10. Professor_N

This forum that we are on right now was a new start back in 2011, if I remember correctly. It's just going to be like that again (only different because BBS isn't the same as a forum).
  11. Adam

Adam Noice bruv, innit.

I was able to import posts when I installed this software (this forum and the old old forum were somewhat similar in format). The BBS software is enough of a deviation that too much of the feel here would be lost if I were to import.
  12. infernaperocks

infernaperocks A Proud Member Of Team Rouge!

honestly the new software really irks me. I'm so used to this format that i find it hard to navigate it there, would it be possible to like set up a vote for all the current users here so the people can decide weather to switch or not?
  13. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care

6P isn't a democracy - that would be horrible.

It is kind of hard to get used to bbs, but let's face it - we get used to new stuff all the time on our computers and phones. If we always kept the old stuff we would be using Usenet and AIM to discuss Pokemon.
  14. rustedspork

rustedspork Member

Overthrow the tyrannical overlords.

I kid. I'm open to the idea of trying out the BBS, but there's one thing that irked me about it right away in attempting to navigate it. When I click into a thread, then try to hit the back button to go back to the home screen for the BBS, it takes me out of the BBS completely and back to whatever page I was viewing before I went there. I don't think there's an answer for this, seeing as how each thread doesn't seem to have an individual URL and it all functions as an interface on the same page.

I could get used to it I guess, but it'd take a major adjustment of my browsing habits on my end.
  15. Adam

Adam Noice bruv, innit.

What browser are you using @rustedspork? And do you have any add-ons installed?

Every thread should have its own URL and pressing back works for me at least.
  16. rustedspork

rustedspork Member

I had the same results last night using Chrome at home and using IE here at work right now. Odd.

Just tried it again (IE), no matter where I navigate within the BBS, the URL stays the same (http://bbs.sixprizes.com/). Pressing back takes me completely off the page.

Edit: Should be no add-ins installed on my current machine. Everything's locked down pretty hard here. It's an ancient version of IE though, for what it's worth.
  17. Adam

Adam Noice bruv, innit.

Here are the browser requirements: http://www.discourse.org/faq/#browser

If you're on an old version of IE, that's probably why you're having issues. On Chrome at home, try disabling add-ons (specifically ones that might interfere with JavaScript). I noticed some weird things happening if I had too many options enabled on AdBlock.
    rustedspork likes this.
  18. rustedspork

rustedspork Member

I'll try it and report back in a few hours.
  19. jonboy532

jonboy532 Is betting on a TDK deck with Muscle Band

Hey @Adam
    The forum over on BBS won't let me change my picture because I am a "new user" over there. I really do not like the pink floral pattern, so could you please figure out a way to let me change my picture?
    thanks
    KPiplup and Salamencetrainer34 like this.
  20. Adam

Adam Noice bruv, innit.

I think I fixed the issue (there is a bug in the software). Can you change now?