Tier 2 TDK - Thundurus EX, Deoyxs EX, Kyurem PLF

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by VictiniCup, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Reshiphlosion

Reshiphlosion The Swarm

I might use this deck for the second half of BR's/Regs if it tests well. Here's the list I'm going to try out:

Pokemon - 11

4 Deoxys EX
    3 Thundurus EX
    3 Kyurem PLF
    1 Lugia EX

Trainers - 37

4 Juniper
    4 N
    3 Colress
    2 Skyla

4 Catcher
    4 Colress Machine
    4 Plasma Ball
    3 Switch
    2 Silver Bangle
    2 Tool Scrapper
    2 Float Stone
    1 Dowsing Machine

2 Frozen City/Plasma Frigate

Energy - 12
    4 Prism
    4 Blend
    4 Plasma

I'm still new to the plasma concept and have never played with the deck before so any help would be appreciated. :D
  2. superw8

superw8 Did you?

Pretty good, but there are a few changes that you may want to make. 3 Thundurus EX is overkill, cut down to 2 if you want it to be important, 1 if not. A third Silver Bangle is also good to have. Plasma Frigate is sort of pointless, and only play Frozen City if you expect Blastoise. Also, I prefer to run Scramble Switch with Lugia EX. Also, 3 Balls in total is a good number.

What I would change:

-1 Thundurus EX
    -1 Dowsing Machine (Personal Preference)
    -2 Team Plasma Ball
    +1 Silver Bangle
    +1 Scramble Switch (Personal Preference)
    +1 Ultra Ball
    +1 Free Space (put what you want here)
  3. Kirbyswag

Kirbyswag Pie

If you are going to play Lugia, you definitely need scramble switch instead of dowsing machine. Since you get another switch you can subtract a different switch, so

- switch
    - dowsing machine
    - one other card (optional)

+ scramble switch
    + DCE (or 2 which is optional)
    superw8 likes this.
  4. Reshiphlosion

Reshiphlosion The Swarm

Yeah I tried out a quick game with this list (using frozen city) and happened to run into Blastoise, that one stadium did like over 300 damage over the course of the game. :p

You guys are definitely right about 3 Thundurus and 4 Plasma Balls not being needed. I like dowsing machine but if scramble switch is really that needed for Lugia then I will give it a try. These are the changes I'm going to make for now:

-1 Thundurus EX
    -1-2 Plasma Ball
    -1 Dowsing Machine (might switch back...)
    -1 Switch
    +1 Scramble Switch
    +1-2 Ultra Ball
    +1 Silver Bangle
    +1 DCE/Tool Scrapper (I'll test both but leaning towards DCE)

Thanks for the help guys! I'm really liking this deck so far and can't wait for the tins to come out! :D
  5. JAM

JAM Consistency > Techs

Now that Plamsa Blast has been released on PTCGO I have been able to test different TDK builds with Silver Bangle. This is the build I'm testing now. It's built to maximize the chance of a turn one Frost Spear with a Silver Bangle attached to Kyurem. 60+ damage to the active and 30 to the bench on turn one is devastating, and it may make TDK the BDIF. Obviously we will have to wait and see on that, and you won't be able to start fast every game. To maximize your chances of a turn one attack with Kyurem PLF you are going to want to run maximum counts of Kyurem, Colress Machine and Silver Bangle. Here is the list in its entirety.

Pokemon – 10

4 Kyurem PLF
    2 Thundurus EX
    4 Deoxys EX

Trainers – 38

4 Professor Juniper
    4 N
    2 Skyla
    2 Colress
    2 Bicycle

4 Colress Machine
    4 Pokemon Catcher
    3 Switch
    2 Team Plasma Ball
    2 Ultra Ball
    2 Tool Scrapper
    1 Computer Search

4 Silver Bangle
    2 Float Stone

Energy – 12

4 Water
    4 Prism
    4 Plasma

This deck is centered around Kyurem, but I do still run two copies of Thundurus to be able to recover energy and power up and benched Kyurem if things get tough during the middle of the game. Unlike the Kyurem focused builds of last format you can really win a game attacking mostly with Frost Spear with this build, so it makes it easier to keep your attackers coming without the use of Thundurus or Exp Share.

It took me proving to myself through testing, but even though this deck is heavily focused on Kyurem you do not need to run Keldeo EX. Last format my Kyurem and Deoxys deck ran two Keldeo and four Float Stone to get off continuous Blizzard Burns. This format since you 2HKO EXs with Frost Spear thanks to Silver Bangle you don't need the Keldeo. Decks will also be running more Tool Scrapper, so relying on Float Stone that heavily is probably no wise.

With that said, Blizzard Burn obviously got better with Silver Bangle as well. You can now to up to 190 damage with 4 Deoxys and and Silver Bangle attached with your Blizzard Burns. For this reason I run a 3/2 split of Switch and Float stone. This allows you to have the opportunity to reset and Blizzard Burn on consecutive turns without the use of Keldeo. I decided to run more Switch than Float Stone since we will probably see high counts of Tool Scrapper in decks because of all these new powerful tools.

Some of you may decide to run 4 Blend instead of the 4 Water I am running, but in my testing I have found that having all special energy can be a liability if you run into any deck that can discard special energy with Enhanced Hammer or an attack on one of their Pokemon. Thundurus is really more of an afterthought in this deck so the 4 Prisms are there for using Raiden Knuckle or Helix Force with Deoxys if you have to. With things like Cobalion EX and Drifblim PLB out there, the more basic energy the better IMO.

I think this deck has gotten even more fast, powerful and consistent with this single tool card from Plasma Blast. Anyways, let me know what you think.
  6. Joai

Joai Grinded into Worlds 2011...

Definitely different than my list....I run less Kyurem and less bangle for a stadium and a keldeo to abuse Kyurem's 2nd attack...
  7. 357159235

357159235 New Member

How this deck defeat dragonite/silver mirror?I know its a stage 2 deck,but you cant damage if you oponets get de lock,the only thing you can do is play keldeo with scramble switch,I prefer Keldeo in this deck instead thundurus,get a blizard burn in all turns its really necesary in this format,you have to win in turn 6 or you simple lost.
  8. Reshiphlosion

Reshiphlosion The Swarm

Hmm the best way to deal with that deck would probably be to out speed and take out every single Dratini with your faster setup, or hope that they're foolish enough to put down a few silver mirrors before getting dnite out. Either way if they set up then the matchup doesn't seem to be in your favor at all...
  9. indercarnive

indercarnive Well-Known Member

this si how the match up works.

for plasma.

turn 1: there is no turn one because nobody will use dragonite/mirrors. it cant win against pretty much every other deck.
    Joai likes this.
  10. Reshiphlosion

Reshiphlosion The Swarm

Is Keldeo EX a viable option in this deck over Lugia EX? Also if it is then what are the advantages/disadvantages of both and how many Keldeo should be run ideally? Thanks in advance to anyone who chooses to answer my questions. :p
  11. yoyos

yoyos delicious hot potatos

Lugia really breaks down the easy kos for the faster win, however keldeo deals with lock situations really well, personally I'd say that's up to you.
  12. pokemonguy

pokemonguy Making Bad Last-Minute Changes Since Nats 2014

I'd say Keldeo/Float Stone all the way, if you want to go aggro Kyurem (Which is the best way to play the deck) choose Keldeo/FS.
  13. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care

It's apples and oranges you are comparing there.

Lugia's Ability is awesome and generates the huge swings in Prizes, but it is somewhat clumsy to use.

Keldeo can allow you to stream Blizzard Burn, but with everyone and their mother playing Tool Scrapper now, it can become a liability - a Keldeo without its Float Stone is just a waste of Bench space at best and can cause you problems if it gets Catchered.

Personally, I don't think that TDK needs either of them.
  14. yoyos

yoyos delicious hot potatos

I agree, when looking at both they do have they're ups, but they're downside really out weighs how good the card is, even running (what I'm pretty much running) 4 switch in the place of using either float stone/switch to generate a faster ko rate in theory being able to automatically play the combo w/o using the retreat cost or having to rely on 1-2 card(s) to be successful or maybe its just my obsession with speed on this one.
  15. Reshiphlosion

Reshiphlosion The Swarm

Lugia isn't an apple. :p

Anyways I think I can see what you're saying, they both have their uses but both can be a liability and neither of them are needed for the deck to work, right? I might still go with a keldeo to use as a backup against decks with silver mirror in case I can't get a scrapper out, at least until people stop getting so trigger happy about anti-plasma mechanics. Or maybe I could go with 4 switch like yoyo and drop Keldeo for more scrappers...
  16. N3rd4Christ

N3rd4Christ Active Member

Pokémon (10):
    3x Kyurem
    2x Thundurus EX
    4x Deoxys EX
    1x Absol

Supporter \ Trainer \ Stadium (37):
    4x N
    3x Skyla
    2x Colress
    4x Professor Juniper

1x Scramble Switch
    4x Pokemon Catcher
    3x Colress Machine
    3x Tool Scrapper
    3x Silver Bangle
    2x Float Stone
    2x Switch
    2x Ultra Ball
    2x Plasma Ball

2x Frozen City

Energy (13):
    4x Plasma Energy
    4x Prism Energy
    4x Blend Energy - WLFM
    1x Lightning Energy - Basic

This is my current build. I would like to fit in Keldeo but don't k ow if its worth having. Also undecided if 4 switch or 2/2 split with stone.
  17. Serperior

Serperior Well-Known Member

^I would run 4 Colress Machine without hesitation.
  18. pokemonguy

Why do you run Scramble Switch as your ACE-SPEC? Also switch the Lightning Energy with a Water.
  19. N3rd4Christ

N3rd4Christ Active Member

Fast setup of a second kyurem. I've tried all other ace specs and didn't really feel they made that big of a diff
  20. pokemonguy

Really? Most of the time you Attach/Discard a Plasma Energy in the early game so you will only be using 3 Colress Machine max.
    jeffrey3421 likes this.