Tier 2 TDK - Thundurus EX, Deoyxs EX, Kyurem PLF

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by VictiniCup, Aug 14, 2013.

1. My deck is this:
    4x Deoxys EX
    4x Kyurem
    2x Thundurus EX
    2x Keldeo EX

2x Virbank City Gym

4x N
    4x Professor Juniper
    3x Skyla
    2x Colress

3x Pokemon Catcher
    3x Hypnotoxic Laser
    3x Colress Machine
    2x Ultra Ball
    2x Team Plasma Ball
    2x Float Stone
    2x Silver Bangle
    2x Tool Scrapper
    1x Professor's Letter
    1x Computer Search

4x Water Energy
    4x Plasma Energy
    2x Prism Energy
    2x Lightning Energy

Thanks for the help everyone!
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  2. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

Take out Blends in favor of Waters imo. You will never need more than 4 energy that work on Thundurus. In fact, I'm using 4 Water-2 Prism-2 Lightning in my TDK and it works beautifully.
  3. OK so what to take out for Professor's Letter/Energy Search?
  4. Professor_N

One of the Escape Rope/Catcher/Lysandre probably

Oh and don't ever play Energy Search. Professors Letter allows you to take only 1 if you want so there's no point in Energy Search anymore.
  5. Casca37

Casca37 The Swarm

Hey fellas. I've been working on a TDK/PlasmaTisse build. It is good. Check it out.

3 Deoxys EX
    2 Thundurus EX
    2 Kyurem PLF
    1 Palkia EX
    1 Heatran EX
    1 Genesect EX
    1 Lugia EX
    1 Landorus BW79
    2-2 Aromatisse XY

4 Professor Juniper
    4 N
    3 Skyla
    3 Colress
    1 Shadow Triad

3 Muscle Band
    3 Max Potion
    2 Ultra Ball
    1 Level Ball
    1 Team Plasma Ball
    2 Colress Machine
    1 Tool Scrapper
    1 Dowsing Machine

3 Fairy Garden

4 Prism
    4 Rainbow
    4 Plasma
  6. JR_nathan

JR_nathan Mr.3 Rings Himself

Looks cute, trying to squeeze in the Aromatisse line like how you're doing, but at first glance I find it to be a bit underwhelming. The 2 Colress Machine are a little bit awkward and 1 Tool Scrapper doesn't exactly appear helpful either.

In all honesty, I don't really see how you make it work. TDK uses smaller damage to get to hitting for KOs with slightly bigger damage, but Aromatisse/toolbox needs cards that take OHKOs without question.

The 2 cards that come to mind for this, and which I suggest for you test, are Entei EX and Terrakion EX instead of Landorus promo and Heatran EX.

Both hit the magic 90 for 3 energy and don't need to rely on your opponent's hand or Deoxys/Muslce Band in order to do so. They also have a sturdy 180 HP and can bypass things like Silver Mirror.

Just a suggestion, but I'm still curious as to how you handle certain matchups.
  7. Casca37

Casca37 The Swarm

@JR_nathan

Thanks for looking at the deck so closely; good criticism is the best advice.

The Colress Machines are a 2-of because they aren't important all of the time, since you have Aromatisse to move the energy around. You would only use one when you need to get one more energy in play quickly. It's sort of like a dark patch in hydereigon. I tried playing 3, but I never actually needed the third, so I cut it to 2.

There's only 1 Tool Scrapper in here because my Meta is almost completely void of Garbodor. When XY dropped everyone decided to switch to Darkrai/Yveltal. If you have lots of Garbo in your area I would definitely play another.

Now, about the Heatran and Landorus

Heatran is a Team Plasma attacker. Now, I know Entei hits the 90 for 3, but he can't be Raiden Knuckled onto, and he needs RRC instead of RCC. Heatran is easier to power up (Colress Machine/Raiden Knuckle), and his synergy with Deoxys makes him just as good, if not better than Entei.

Landorus is a card that has always been good for me - matching hand sizes is actually pretty easy if you try it. He is a non-EX, 7th prize. He hits Thundurus, Darkrai, and Bouffalant for weakness, and he gets a boost from Deoxys/Raiden knuckle. Terrakion EX is arguably a better role player for type advantage, but he gives up two prizes and isn't Team Plasma. Also, Rock Tomb is better than you might think. I use Red Signal/Rock Tomb combos to lock stuff down and do around 120 damage, forcing them to have a switch or lose their active, and if they do switch and knock out Landorus, they only get one prize.

So, what about Silver Mirror? It's not as dangerous as the hype makes it sound. I have Red Signal, Tool Scrapper and Dowsing Machine. They can only attach it to a non-EX. Really the only decks that actually play the card are Latias EX/Suicune (rogue and hardly played), Darkrai/Garbodor(they can only attach to Sableye and no one in my area plays it), and Dragonite (which is dead, thanks to Yveltal).

So, there's my reasoning behind all of that.

Here's how I've been playing my matchups, since you asked.

VirGen - Use Lugia EX and Heatran.

Darkrai/Yveltal - Use Landorus, Lugia EX, Kyurem, and Thundurus EX. Spam Max Potion.

Blastoise - Use Palkia EX and Genesect EX on their Blastoises. This match can be a little rough since Max Potion is worthless.

RayBoar - Use Palkia EX. Red Signal/Rock Tomb on Emboar.

Fairies - This one is weird... It's sort of a "who has more Max Potions?" thing. Use Red Signal and hit their techs for weakness.

Yeti/Lugia stuff - Thundurus EX/ Lugia EX/ Deoxys EX/ Landorus. Use Max Potions and pick off their Lugias with Red Signal/ Thundurus Noise or Raiden Knuckle. Take care of Snorlax quick.
  8. Ziggmiceter

Ziggmiceter Ultimate 6P tournament procrastinator

You need Yveltals for Plasma/Aromatisse to work. It's a great deck, but the Yveltal is necessary for it to be great. Also, Terrakion is better than Landorus Promo, since a consistent 90 swing is better than needing an equal hand and damage adders to hit that same 90. Cut the 3rd Deoxys, you'll never ever want 3 Deoxys on your bench, so I would cut it for space consistency.
    JR_nathan likes this.
  9. JR_nathan

@Casca37 I understand some of your logic now, but I think you're missing what I'm trying to say.

You're trying to run an Aromatisse style deck in the form of strait Plasma. This means being completely bound to Plasma-only attackers when you have so many better options.

Entei and Terrakion are perfect examples; both hit their weakness respective targets for a perfect one hit KO using only a set amount of energy with no other shenanigans.

One thing you should know about Aromatisse is that a lot of times you won't have the bench space nor the power to boost your Plasma pokemon's attack's by very much since you'll have to dedicate 1-2 spaces towards Aromatisse.

Ziggmiceter made some good points about adding Yveltal and cutting a Deoxys, because at the end of the day if you're running Aromatisse, you're focusing your strategy around it and not Plasma.

Other than that, I'm sorry about asking for matchups being as most opinions about how to use toolbox decks against other decks come out sounding highly subjective, which they are.
  10. Casca37

Casca37 The Swarm

@JR_nathan

I'm trying to basically make a Toolbox Plasma list. It's never been done before like this. I think there's a lot of potential there though, so I've been testing it a lot, and this is what I came up with. Basically, I'm uniting all of Team Plasma's superstars by spreading Special Energy with Aromatisse. Playing non-Team Plasma cards messes with that idea, because they can't use Power Connect/Raiden Knuckle/Colress Machine. I think that a normal Non-Plasma toolbox approach is probably better in most cases, but I still want to try this out.
  11. JR_nathan

Well good luck then.

On another note, here's what I've been using:

2 Spritzee XY 92
    2 Aromatisse XY 93
    3 Thundurus EX PF 110
    2 Deoxys EX PF 111
    1 Kyurem PF 31
    1 Virizion EX PB 96
    1 Palkia EX PB 100
    1 Yveltal EX XY 144
    1 Terrakion EX DR 121
    1 Suicune PB 20
    1 Raikou EX DE 105
    1 Entei EX DE 103
    17 cards

Qty
    Name
    Set #
    4 Professor Juniper PF 116
    3 N NV 101
    2 Skyla BC 149
    2 Shauna XY 127
    2 Colress PS 135
    3 Ultra Ball PF 122
    1 Level Ball ND 89
    3 Muscle Band XY 121
    3 Max Potion PF 121
    2 Tool Scrapper DR 116
    1 Super Rod DRV 20
    1 Dowsing Machine PS 128
    4 Fairy Garden XY 117
    31 cards

Qty
    Name
    Set #
    4 Prism Energy ND 93
    4 Rainbow Energy XY 131
    4 Fairy Energy XY 140
    12 cards
    MetalArmedAngel likes this.
  12. Casca37

Casca37 The Swarm

That looks great. Maybe I should put more thought into this whole idea. :p Loved your article BTW
  13. JR_nathan

Glad you enjoyed it.

I've always liked decks that had a vareity of attackers with an energy transferring pokemon to rely on, and Aromatisse is by far the fastest, most space reducing card available. I personally think it can go big, but we'll just have to wait and see.
  14. onlyinAMERICA

onlyinAMERICA ...because I'm Batman.

Is anyone playing Catcher in their lists anymore?
  15. pokemonguy

pokemonguy Making Bad Last-Minute Changes Since Nats 2014

Yes, my friend does. H eused to be one of the best Juniors/Seniors in the UK. TBH he still is.
  16. onlyinAMERICA

onlyinAMERICA ...because I'm Batman.

Okay thanks for the input! I was just curious.
  17. PokemonGeek

PokemonGeek Derp, Derp, Derpity Derp

how exactly is plasmatisse meant to work
  18. Professor_N

You Raiden Knuckle Special Energies onto Plasma Pokemon and move it around with Aromatisse to whatever you want to attack with. And you usually have Genesect and G Booster.
  19. jeffrey3421

jeffrey3421 Swarm Wannabe

Discarding Energy is the worst thing you can do with this deck-a piece of advice from a friend who won a States with Aromatisse Plasma.
  20. Professor_N

Well it's hard to Raiden Knuckle if you don't get Energy in the discard. Or do you mean with G Booster? Because I'd take discarding 2 Energy in the late game for a free 2 Prizes any day. Not to mention, you can discard the Plasma Energy you have on Genesect EX from all the Red Signals you've likely had to use.