Tier 2 TDK - Thundurus EX, Deoyxs EX, Kyurem PLF

Discussion in 'Competitive Deck Discussion' started by VictiniCup, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Salamencetrainer34

Salamencetrainer34 An ogre-achiever

I am making this list here on the spot. I love the idea of using Lugia EX to take 3 prizes, with thunderus and friends to help! Any and all help would be appreciated.

Pokemon(13)
    2x Lugia EX
    2x Thunderus EX
    4x Deoxys EX
    1x Snorlax
    1x Palkia EX
    2x Kyurem (plf)
    1x Genesect EX
    ----------------
    T/S/S(36)
    4x Professor juniper
    2x Shadow Triad
    3x N
    2x Colress
    3x Skyla
    --------
    3x Frozen City
    --------
    3x Plasma Ball
    2x Ultra ball
    3x Colress Machine
    1x Scramble switch
    2x Random receiver
    2x Switch
    3x Muscle band
    1x Max potion
    2x Tool Scrapper
    -------------
    Energy(11)
    4x Plasma energy
    3x DCE
    4x Prism energy

I would love some more energy, preferably 12.
  2. Professor_N

Professor_N Well-Known Member

Playing Random Receiver with Skyla and Shadow Triad is pretty ambitious. I would drop those and that would give you the room you need for more Energy.
  3. Salamencetrainer34

Salamencetrainer34 An ogre-achiever

Oh yea, good point. Should I add another DCE and a basic energy?
  4. Professor_N

I would do something like that, yes.
  5. pokemonguy

pokemonguy Making Bad Last-Minute Changes Since Nats 2014

@Salamencetrainer34 I think your list is more of a Lugia based variant ( doesn't matter they should be merged anyway). You don't need city if you have Muscle Band but keep one in for stoise and RayBoar. Add 2 lighting for them.
  6. Googleplex

Googleplex Rule #3: Wear your heart on your cheek

They shouldn't be merged! They're very different decks in build/ how they play.
    MetalArmedAngel likes this.
  7. Professor_N

A lot of people have been playing 1-2 Kyurem PLF in their Lugia builds. I'm a fan of 1 Absol in my lugia as my non-EX, but hey, I guess it's just preference.
  8. pokemonguy

pokemonguy Making Bad Last-Minute Changes Since Nats 2014

@Googleplex, look at ST34'S list. It is very Lucia focused but also Kyurem is a huge part of his strategy. The decks can have a bit of both in them to the point they should discussed in the same way.
  9. Googleplex

Googleplex Rule #3: Wear your heart on your cheek

Nah. Plasma with 3-4 Kyurem is still fairly viable (if either lacking power without LaserBank or a little inconsistent with) and the strategy differs greatly to Lugia variants. They use the Plasma engine but are otherwise not very similar.
  10. shong

shong Member

I'm super new to playing this deck. I've played against it a bunch with Yveltal/Garb and Yveltal/Darkrai but I just "finished" (don't have Genesect EX so using Absol PLF for now) building it online yesterday. Since I don't have Genesect I think Escape Rope goes up in valuebut I think I may want to go something like 3/2 Switch/Escape Rope if I can. Maybe -1 Skyla? Might just be small sample size but 4 Colress Machine feels sort of excessive. Going from 0 energy to Frost Spear early game is great but late game there just seem to be 1-2 dead so frequently (might also be in part because without Genesect I play down all my Colress Machines). Absol has been fairly worthless (it has won me a game admittedly) but I don't even have another Thundurus or Deoxys to replace it with let alone Genesect and I wanted to keep my Pokemon count at 10. Considering my inexperience with the deck it has been running pretty smoothly and it's pretty enjoyable to play. If Pyroar doesn't seem to be a huge issue as either part of the metagame or for this deck I'll probably build it in paper too as I'm pretty bored of what I have. Only definite "change" I'm planning to make at the moment is Tool Scrapper for Startling Megaphone. Laserbank would help against Pyroar but I'm pretty pleased with how it's running as is

[​IMG]

imgur sucks:

Pokemon: 10
    4 Kyurem PLF
    3 Deoxys EX
    2 Thundurus EX
    1 Absol PLF

Trainer: 37
    4 Professor Juniper
    4 N
    3 Colress
    3 Skyla
    2 Shadow Triad

4 Colress Machine
    2 Switch
    2 Escape Rope
    3 Team Plasma Ball
    2 Tool Scrapper
    4 Muscle Band
    1 Computer Search

3 Frozen City

Energy: 13
    1 Blend Energy WLFM
    4 Rainbow Energy
    4 Prism Energy
    4 Plasma Energy
    Last edited: May 1, 2014
  11. Wrags23

Wrags23 Feeling... rogue.

I'd drop one Colress Machine because you will almost always end up drawing into some of your Plasma Energies. I'd also use 4 Deoxys as a safety net in case one gets Prized... you need those Deoxys. Lastly, you might want more switching cards. You have a lot of Supporters, so if you're wondering what to drop, I would start there.
  12. CyrusTyler

CyrusTyler Skill Level: Average Plebian

I'd drop 2 Colress for 1 Switch and 1 Team Plasma Ball, but that's just me and I love consistency.

I'd also drop a Colress Machine for a Deoxys-EX. If you're not digging Absol, and it sounds like you aren't, there are options like Snorlax and Palkia. I'm drawing a blank on other options at the moment...
  13. CyrusTyler

Has anyone thought of techning Raichu XY into TDK as an out against Yveltal? Sometimes Thundurus-EX doesn't hit enough.
  14. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care

You've got a few ways of hitting Yveltal as well as Thundurus. Kyurem or Lugia w/Band + Laserbank, or maybe Snorlax.

I would look at those or Zapdos EX before trying to find room for a Stage 1. Besides, Pyroar is a much worse problem for this deck.
  15. CyrusTyler

I'm trying to prepare for Battle Roads and I expect to see a lot of Plasma and Blastoise in Florida, maybe the occasional Yveltal deck (but I need to research this more). I think running Zapdos-EX would be a mistake because of the energy requirements and the 2 Prize card loss in the event of revenge kills. @baby_mario, if it's cool with you, I'm going to post my proposed anti-Yveltal decklist. Maybe someone would like to critique?

[spoiler=Quadrem Anti-Yveltal]
    Pokemon - (14)
    4 Kyurem PLF
    4 Deoxys-EX
    2 Thundurus-EX
    2 Pikachu XY
    2 Raichu XY

Supporters - (12)
    4 Professor Juniper
    4 Shauna
    2 Skyla
    1 Colress
    1 Shadow Triad

Items - (20)
    4 Switch
    3 Colress Machine
    3 Muscle Band
    2 Team Plasma Ball
    2 Ultra Ball
    2 Tool Scrapper
    1 Pokemon Catcher
    1 Computer Search

2 Skyarrow Bridge

Energy - (14)
    2 Double Colorless
    4 Rainbow
    4 Prism
    4 Plasma
    [/spoiler]

I didn't run more than one Catcher because I figure that, with Darkrai's free retreat, there's no point in me Catchering something that he's going to retreat next turn anyways. And, admittedly, if I was going to put in 1-2 more, I have no clue what to take out.
  16. baby_mario

baby_mario Doesn't even care

Well, you would only Catcher to get a OHKO so the free retreat is irrelevant.

Your list seems solid, but I urge you not to dismiss Zapdos EX. I ran it in Plasma as an anti-Yveltal card because (unlike Thundurus) it isn't getting revenged by Sawk, and flipping heads on Agility while you KO a Yveltal is awesome.
  17. KPiplup

KPiplup An Imposter

I'd also like to point out that I hope you aren't preparing for Battle Roads, as their nonexistence could be a bit of an issue for you…
    onlyinAMERICA and PP101 like this.
  18. CyrusTyler

In Florida, finding Darkrai players is like trying to find competitive players on the island of Bermuda.

I'm actually planning for the huge amount of Deluge and Emboar I expect to see. I need to learn my deck better and figure out how to play it, not how to just use it. You know what I mean?
  19. shong

shong Member

If you're expecting a heavy amount of Blastoise/Emboar then you should run Frozen City. As for other Plasma decks, with Frozen City instead of Laserbank it's hard to hit 150 on Lugia with Thundurus once you've already hit it with a Frost Spear, and while Blizzard Burn can do it easily, it's not that easy to get an active Kyurem with the appropriate set up in play against a Lugia loaded with energy so I think a couple Lasers to serve as a Plus Power for Thundurus (anything in general, but Thundurus in this case) is worth considering, especially since they can easily hit for 30 when our opponent drops Virbank and we can buy it back with Shadow Triad potentially as well.

Definitely wouldn't devote a full 2-2 to Raichu or run Skyarrow in a deck with 2-2 Raichu and 4 Kyurem. 1 Genesect will treat you a whole bunch better than 1 Catcher as well. And N way before Shauna in a Plasma deck without a single Lugia.
  20. CyrusTyler

N is major bad luck for me and I don't know why. All Sunday I played games where I was N'd down to two cards towards the end, those two cards being the only two Kyurem in my deck (when I'm playing speed Lugia). And in games months before that N has been the bane of my existence. It's not that I doubt the card. It may be the fact that I only own one copy. Eh, I'm okay with Shauna.

I gotta say I'm finding the board control of TDK Quad Kyurem a lot more comfortable than the panicked feel of speed Lugia.